LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

2007 Impala engine question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Impala engine question

Hi,
Just purchased an 07 with just over 100,000 miles on it. Had the tranny flushed, plugs and wires changed, new tires and cam bolts put in on all 4 corners. Notice under hard acceleration from about 10mph that between 3500-4500 rpm the engine will cut out for a brief second. Traction control is off. This is very noticeable. Seems like you hit a rev limit or something. I thought fuel pump at first, but there is no lag, it cuts right out. Is this programmed into the computer to do this?
Thanks,
TZ
Old 03-07-2013, 11:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tdzimmer70
Hi,
Just purchased an 07 with just over 100,000 miles on it. Had the tranny flushed, plugs and wires changed, new tires and cam bolts put in on all 4 corners. Notice under hard acceleration from about 10mph that between 3500-4500 rpm the engine will cut out for a brief second. Traction control is off. This is very noticeable. Seems like you hit a rev limit or something. I thought fuel pump at first, but there is no lag, it cuts right out. Is this programmed into the computer to do this?
Thanks,
TZ
computer feature...known as Tourqe managment think of it as the transmission giving you the middle finger when you push to hard.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should only do this if the tires break loose or if the wheels are turned. This can be tuned out but not the differential anti-score, which will occur under conditions where one wheel breaks loose and exceeds 40mph over the other axel. For a tuning option contact: http://www.diablewtune.com/
Old 03-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Yup... had this happen all the time til I got a tune. It was annoying and embarrassing.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
It should only do this if the tires break loose or if the wheels are turned. This can be tuned out but not the differential anti-score, which will occur under conditions where one wheel breaks loose and exceeds 40mph over the other axel. For a tuning option contact: http://www.diablewtune.com/
Anti score can be turned off in hptuners
Old 03-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Teching In

I think it may be the mass air flow sensor. Going to clean it Monday and if that doesn't work replace it. Today it started missing when I would hit bumps in the road.

Good info guys, appreciate the help
Old 03-08-2013, 05:02 PM

I think it may be the mass air flow sensor. Going to clean it Monday and if that doesn't work replace it. Today it started missing when I would hit bumps in the road.

Good info guys, appreciate the help
if thats the case are you noticing very hard shifts? hows the general maintnence on your car?
(plugs wires etc) ?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 91parkave
if thats the case are you noticing very hard shifts? hows the general maintnence on your car?
(plugs wires etc) ?
Plugs wires all new. No hard shifts. Just a cut out at around 3500-4500 when on the gas hard. I did notice crossing a railroad track friday the car cut out, so that is confirming the mass air flow sensor theory. Getting it cleaned tonight and if that doesn't work replacinng it. I'll keep you posted on what I find.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:47 AM

Plugs wires all new. No hard shifts. Just a cut out at around 3500-4500 when on the gas hard. I did notice crossing a railroad track friday the car cut out, so that is confirming the mass air flow sensor theory. Getting it cleaned tonight and if that doesn't work replacinng it. I'll keep you posted on what I find.
In no way does that confirm MAF failure, If you want to simulate that turn on the car open the hood and tap on the MAF if the you notice a change then yes you might have a issue with your MAF. If you have no codes or anything like that youre just burning money. and if your MAF was bad you would have hard shifts and ultra shitty mileage.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Anti score can be turned off in hptuners
which shouldn't be done... just like tranny "flushes" - should never do a flush either... just drop the pan, drain the fluid, change the filter, then put in new fluid...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 03-11-2013, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
which shouldn't be done... just like tranny "flushes" - should never do a flush either... just drop the pan, drain the fluid, change the filter, then put in new fluid...
OK I don't follow you on that one there are numerous threads where you said you had it off or never said to not to turn it off. Why now?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Being I just got the car, not sure what the mileage should be. Right now it is around 19-20. Pulled the mass air flow sensor last night and it was dirty and did have some burn scoring on it. Cleaned it up with some CRC mass airflow sensor cleaner. The car does change idle when tapping on the MAF with a rubber mallet. Going to drive it a couple days to see if there is a change and then change out the MAF.
Since I got the car I have replaced all plugs and wires with AC Delco, new filter, oil change, tranny fluid change and filter, put cam bolts in all around for camber problem. Car runs and idles well, just this inadvertent cutout. Also the car will kill on a bigger bump.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is most likely your MAF as you say there is visual heat damage, the sensor inside has a self cleaning feature in which it reaches some where around 900* to burn off any impurities (it may have shorted) or been over oiled or touched buy a single finger causing a hot spot and failure. Tapping on it should not change your idle stability at all.
Oh and it is an 07 what?
Old 03-14-2013, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
It is most likely your MAF as you say there is visual heat damage, the sensor inside has a self cleaning feature in which it reaches some where around 900* to burn off any impurities (it may have shorted) or been over oiled or touched buy a single finger causing a hot spot and failure. Tapping on it should not change your idle stability at all.
Oh and it is an 07 what?
07 Impala SS. New MAF going in tonight. Thanks Guys, appreciate the help.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Teching In

It was the MAF sensor. Running good now. Changed the oil tonight. What a great spot for an oil filter. Very easy to get at.

Quick Reply: 2007 Impala engine question