LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Another FNG GXP Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
recently started getting that as well.
sure wish i would of thrown some new mounts in when i did the transmission.
Is that the consensus on what the problem is? Doesn't seem like something that needs immediate attention then which is good. I was worried it was a transmission problem popping into gear.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

i might see if i can duplicate the noise by rocking the engine and transmission back and forth.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is weird. I just started gettingthe clunk as well. put in a tep tranny about 3 weeks ago and changed the tranny mount to a zzp one, also changed the upper motor mount to zzp poly etc. When I took out the lower mounts to check, they looked fine. I don't get the sound when I put it in drive, only on acceleration.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The clunk is probably your strut mounts and or sway bar end links

As for that poly trans Mount I ordered polyurethane bar stock and cut and drilled it myself the thread was called custom poly trans mount.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 91parkave
The clunk is probably your strut mounts and or sway bar end link.
U mean the engine strut ??
Old 05-09-2013, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by higsy
U mean the engine strut ??
there is no engine strut I said exactly what I meant
Old 05-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

The clunk is probably your strut mounts and or sway bar end links

As for that poly trans Mount I ordered polyurethane bar stock and cut and drilled it myself the thread was called custom poly trans mount.
Found it:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...-3-7-13-a.html

Where did you get it? Have not really been able to find it, and what are the dimensions?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Launching!

there is no engine strut I said exactly what I meant
Engine Mount Strut Replacement
Removal Procedure

Couldn't quote the procedure entirely but this comes straight from the GM service manual.

I was suspecting that it was my mount but haven't had a chance to check it out as I removed it to paint it.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ackbar00
Found it:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...-3-7-13-a.html

Where did you get it? Have not really been able to find it, and what are the dimensions?
i used a 3x3x5 piece for the mount if i get around to it ill redo it and shave of an 1/8 inch, a negligable diffrence but i like the peace of mind keep in mind you could just order a poly mount fir the trans through zzperformance.com

Originally Posted by higsy
Engine Mount Strut Replacement
Removal Procedure

Couldn't quote the procedure entirely but this comes straight from the GM service manual.

I was suspecting that it was my mount but haven't had a chance to check it out as I removed it to paint it.
like i tell everybody i was amazed how saggy the old mounts where tell i replaced them with new ones and saw how far up the alternator pulley was so i use that as a rule of thumb if the top of the alternator pulley isnt level with strut tower your mounts are more than likley trashed, remeber hydraulic motor mounts dont have a reputation on our platform for lasting long.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

Well, finally took the car on a trip longer than 25 miles. Trans got up to 219. So it was time to finally get this tranny cooler installed. Took a lot longer than I expected, and I still need to do some testing/driving to make sure its not going to leak. But so far, it is looking good. That cooler was a monster to fit in there, but I cut up the lower deflector cover to make some access ports so i can service both the cooler and the filter. I also changed the trans fluid and replaced the internal filter. Had a bit of sludge on the magnet, but I would assume the fluid had never been changed. Put Dex 6 syenthic in it. Ill report on the temps when I get a chance to really drive it.

This is the passenger headlight out looking down. You can see the inline filter, I just moved one of the horns and attached it to the bracket:

This is the drivers headlight. Can see the cooler:

I also built my own intake from some stuff I ahd laying around:
Old 05-21-2013, 11:55 AM

I like the fan that's how I used to run but there's not enough ambient air in there to keep that cooler cool even with a fan. A serious suggestion just take off the front bumper it takes 10-20minutes mount it properly and get rid of the miles long of line you have ran all over the car you can mount the filter in the driver side so that way nothing is going far out the way. Rember its all about single pass efficiency great work.

Of your looking for a cheap heat shield you can use 3-4 inch roof flashing from home depot or Lowes once your iat's rise over 90 it starts pulling timing quick and the maf is really to slow to respond. Just food for thought
Old 05-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I might just get a stock style K&N and drill the airbox. Works good on the wifes Escalade and I used to run that on my Mustang when it was still NA.

Dont have a pic, but I just got the resonator cut out. Sounds good, in fact, could be louder (and I HATE loud). For $45, I am happy with it.

Got the fan wired. First off, do not wire it directly to the compass feed. Car freaked out, had to disconnect the battery just to clear everything up. Stopped being lazy and put a relay in. Compass is the trigger for it

Last edited by Ackbar00; 05-22-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:10 PM

The compass why didn't you just tap the fan motor wiring as a trigger?
Old 05-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

The compass why didn't you just tap the fan motor wiring as a trigger?
I just used an "Add a circuit" from autozone. No cutting, tapping, nothing. Just seemed easier to me.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pc...FWJqMgodoV8ANA

Been driving around all day. Its around 85 toady and the highest I have got so far is 175 on the DIC. Need to go take it on a highway trip. For some reason, it allways did worse on the highway.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Still having a hell of a time with my Diablo, so not much to report there. I did get an Ebay Catch Can setup installed. Not to bad. Also a pic of my drilled factory airbox.

Also, got some new rims for my Mustang. While I was there, I got a set of Flowmasters off of a fox body for $50. Went up and had them weld them in. Was unable to reuse the stock tips, so I had to settle for these. Might change them. With no resonator, the car is loud. It is not that bad inside the car, but it is loud Still have a lot less in it than any other Catback out there.

Quick Reply: Another FNG GXP Owner