LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Transmission just took a shit

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission just took a ****

Well guys its official my tranny got took a **** @ 88000 idk what to do or how to feel I feel like crying and shooting ppl. Sorry I'm venting but help and ideas plz
Old 04-27-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Warranty?
Old 04-27-2013, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

**** 88 grand? Looks like you did a good job. About to hit 71k and I already got one rev and clunk about 2 weeks ago sitting in traffic. Don't get upset. Its frustrating but inevitable. You had to at least see it coming somewhat.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well your only about 3 hours from triple edge transmission, I'd give dave a call on Monday and see what he recommends. Just got my new street/strip installed 2 weeks ago. Everything great so far.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Higsy what was the damage
Old 04-27-2013, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Id say around $3200 give or take doing it myself with some tools etc I had to buy. I would bypass the tranny cooler and go external and replace the cooler lines. My tranny was completely shot, car wouldn't move when at running temp. I replaced a lot of things too such as tranny mount (zzp) upper motor mount /strut , ball joints , tie rods. You wouldn't need everything I got though, upgraded input shaft was almost $500. Installing yourself would save close to $1000 when u add up parts , r & r cooler install etc. This is in $ cad, so it could be less.. word of advise , if you can get away with not changing ball joints don't. Pita is putting it lightly.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Teching In

I just turned 108k and still on the original transmission. At 48k I dropped the pan changed the filter, filled with Amsoil tranny fluid, and put a big a$$ tranny cooler on. I know mine is like a unicorn.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

never let a crisis go to waste! replace the tranny with a badazz built one
Old 04-28-2013, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RJDio
never let a crisis go to waste! replace the tranny with a badazz built one
Yup and any other upgrades , wifey don't need to know about !!
Like I said call dave, he's awesome to deal with, very thorough in his explanations. Basically my tc went for a ****.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

114k original tranny starting to go out but i have no tranny cooler neither just took it to the track and have a warranty just waiting for it to pull the trigger on its self
Old 04-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Mine's got 93k miles on it and all the signs are there. Rev clunk and some other shenanigans. Only had my car 3 1/2 weeks and now I gotta put in a trans. Ordering a trans cooler now and hope to nurse it along til I can get it in for a rebuild.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:28 AM
10 Second Club

My car has 125k miles on it. I bought it 2 weeks ago. The previous owner said the TC went out at 90k. Which to me was a good thing that it was replaced. But also meant that it had 35k on the trans fluid. So first thing I did 2 days later was drop the pan and change the filter. Fluid was a little burnt smelling but not bad. There was a little shavings on the magnet but not bad either. Then I put a tranny cooler on after that. Went from running 200-210 fully warmed to 170-180. So cooler dropped it 30 degrees. I also had the trans tuned a few days ago which will help just as much as a cooler. Shifting firmer and faster means slipping the clutches less. This weekend im gonna drop the pan and change fluid/filter again since I only got about half of what the tranny holds the last time. Between those 3 things im HOPING I will not have a problem out of mine. I also suggest running through the radiator in addition to the aftermarket cooler. To me 2 coolers are better than one. Plus the more accumulation of fluid you have before it goes back into the tranny the better to me. What I did was have my tuner turn my coolant fans on early since the fluid is still going through there. Before the car would get a hair above the 3 hash mark. Now it stays a hair below it. So that helps with the tranny also. Just a few things to think about.

Last edited by 99corvette; 04-29-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:02 AM
Staging Lane

So if I want it rebuilt who I need to talk to and should I put in the transgo shift kit
Old 04-29-2013, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.gmls4.com/index.php?topic=2100.0
Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just turned 77k on mine, and it started to slip. It has happened a few times so far. I'm pissed , to say the least. My car has been a commuter for the entire time I have owned it. I bought it in 2008 with 9k on it. If I beat it I would be less pissed, but this car has never been beat. A few very high speed runs but never even a hole shot. I think I am going to trade it in on a truck. Very disappointed.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While I do have major sympathy for anyone who's had this issue, (and I've had it happen twice on our car) we've known about these problems for at least the last 4 years.

No one should be shocked when it happens to them, because it's becoming quite apparent that there are only two kinds of LS4 cars: Those that have had transmission problems and those that will have them.

We used to have a few smug folks on this site that always said it hadn't happened to them because they claimed "if you treat it right, it will treat you right"...And then their transmissions failed, too, and they finally STFU.

I'm not making any excuses for GM here because it's a complete travesty that we even have these problems in the first place, but it's not like it's a big secret, either.

If you're going to sell your car, I don't blame you. If you want to keep it, call Dave @ TEP and get a setup that suits you and drive on into the future with no further worries.

It's that simple.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does leave a bad taste in someones mouth when their transmission goes south. Especially when it is before 100k. Cars are built pretty well currently and it seems they should last longer.

However, we also like fast cars. Fast cars build up heat in the transmission and heat is the #1 killer of transmissions.

While there is a perception that this is a GM only problem, all manufacturers have their transmission problems.

I have a good friend who is a Transmission Tech. I met him when we worked at the dealsership years ago. He loves dodges, but hates their automatic transmissions. He has even owned a couple of dodges with automatics and done all the exact servicing and such that is required. All have had transmission problems. He had a Civic as a commuter car that end up having the transmission go. He was googling to find out more and found out it is actually pretty common for Honda's to have transmission problems too.

A couple of other guys who we worked with at the dealership moved over to another dealer in town that sold Honda, Chevrolet, and a couple other brands. 2 of the guys we know very well bought Honda Accords because they could get a great deal and always heard they run forever. Both of them used as commuters to and from work. As they worked there longer and talked to the guys and the dealerships Honda shop they learned the transmissions will fail like clockwork. One guy has his go right at 60k miles. The other guy traded his in at 59k because he knew it was a timebomb.

This isn't specific to GM or our cars. It is magnified because our cars make power which = heat and puts stress on transmission components. However, less powerful cars from other manufacturers have similar problems.

Pick your poison.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Mine is getting looked at by Chevrolet right now. The dealership has been the worst about it so far. I just wanted them to look at it and find out if the warranty was up(it was). He asked me if I was gonna hang around or come back. I said I was leaving and gave him my number. After eating lunch with no call I come back and the guy I talked to walked by without looking at me and said they are working on it. Ok so I figured I could wait a little longer because he asked me if I was going to do that anyway. It's now been a few hours and the guy has seen me hanging around without saying a word to me. All they were doing was looking at the car to see if there was anything wrong. I go back to the service desk a little ticked off at how long this is taking and what do they tell me? "Oh my guys are gone for the day you have to come back tomorrow". *******. Pissed. She even said they found nothing wrong with the car and nobody thought it would be a good idea to give me a phone call. I mean holy **** they know I am sitting in the parking lot. She told me they knew. I wasn't planning on getting it fixed there but between this guy being a total dick/not calling me I don't think I can do anymore business with GM after this car. I love it but holy **** what a waste of a day.
Also this guy was trying to tell me the 4T65 is a good transmission. Yeah maybe when it was in a pontiac montana. Seriously **** that guy. /rant
Old 05-21-2013, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cory1750
Mine is getting looked at by Chevrolet right now. The dealership has been the worst about it so far. I just wanted them to look at it and find out if the warranty was up(it was). He asked me if I was gonna hang around or come back. I said I was leaving and gave him my number. After eating lunch with no call I come back and the guy I talked to walked by without looking at me and said they are working on it. Ok so I figured I could wait a little longer because he asked me if I was going to do that anyway. It's now been a few hours and the guy has seen me hanging around without saying a word to me. All they were doing was looking at the car to see if there was anything wrong. I go back to the service desk a little ticked off at how long this is taking and what do they tell me? "Oh my guys are gone for the day you have to come back tomorrow". *******. Pissed. She even said they found nothing wrong with the car and nobody thought it would be a good idea to give me a phone call. I mean holy **** they know I am sitting in the parking lot. She told me they knew. I wasn't planning on getting it fixed there but between this guy being a total dick/not calling me I don't think I can do anymore business with GM after this car. I love it but holy **** what a waste of a day.
Also this guy was trying to tell me the 4T65 is a good transmission. Yeah maybe when it was in a pontiac montana. Seriously **** that guy. /rant
Be pissed at the dealer, not the maker. You do realize that dealerships are franchised businesses completely independent of the manufacturer and in no way reflect the way that GM does buisness itself? If you don't like the dealer go to a different one, there are tons out there.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by crich88848
Be pissed at the dealer, not the maker. You do realize that dealerships are franchised businesses completely independent of the manufacturer and in no way reflect the way that GM does buisness itself? If you don't like the dealer go to a different one, there are tons out there.
Oh I know but at the same time GM put this transmission in this car and between the two it has become super frustrating. I like Chevy, they have made many good cars, but I don't consider myself a brand loyalist and I feel super shafted right now from both ends. I don't see how when purchasing my next car I could put Chevy at the top of that list.

Quick Reply: Transmission just took a shit