LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Airbag Light problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag Light problems

Just recently something started happening with the airbag sensors. Whenever I have a passenger in the car the passenger airbag light will randomly turn off, also causing the instrument cluster airbag light to come on. Then it randomly turns back on thus making the instrument light go off. It seems to come and go as it pleases. Also, it only has happened so far *knock on wood* when I have a passenger sitting there. It seems to happen a little less when I have a heavier passenger sitting there though.

I really don't want to go to the stupid dealership because I don't have any warranty on my GXP and they are clinically retarded around here for getting anything at all done on your GM vehicle. Is there any way to remove the passenger seat cushion to inspect the connections for the wires? I want to try and do this myself.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Sorry to revive this but I wanted to add to it. After the first issue ^, the passenger airbag light would go off WITHOUT causing the driver airbag light to come on. So it seemed to isolate itself to just the passenger side and not the whole system. Then recently it went back to causing both lights to come on. It seems to happen more with heavier people sitting in the passenger seat. I remember the "charging system failure light" coming on a long time ago and come to think of it this light problem started after I pulled the neg. cable just to reset the computer after installing the CAI.... fuses are good though so it couldn't have shorted a wire. The battery terminals are pretty corroded though... would a shitty battery cause the airbag system to act up like this?

And should I go undernieth the passenger seat and un-plug and re-plug the wires to see if it fixes anything?
Old 08-21-2013, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by gilroy222
The battery terminals are pretty corroded though... would a shitty battery cause the airbag system to act up like this?
And should I go undernieth the passenger seat and un-plug and re-plug the wires to see if it fixes anything?
My car acted like it was having a stroke when my terminals were corroded. It's amazing how much is electronic these days. Hell, without enough jump I can't even shift into neutral.

I replaced my leather SS front seats with cloth 9C1 front seats. I didn't have any airbag light until after the switch over. Maybe it has something to do with the system having intermittent power. Not sure, wish i could help more.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by X Move
My car acted like it was having a stroke when my terminals were corroded. It's amazing how much is electronic these days. Hell, without enough jump I can't even shift into neutral.

I replaced my leather SS front seats with cloth 9C1 front seats. I didn't have any airbag light until after the switch over. Maybe it has something to do with the system having intermittent power. Not sure, wish i could help more.

Why dId you do that?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by baltsk8er69
Why dId you do that?
I hate leather--that simple.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Ya it seems to be doing it a lot less anymore. Still does it randomly and quickly though... I wish either a)The airbag will still go off even when it's acting weird like this or b)some canadian members can tell me what the dealer charges for this kind of stuff as my warranty is long expired. Should be a freakin' recall though since it's a big safety issue.... Tech 2's are a lot less scarce at mechanic shops in Canada than in the U.S but I might go talk to my shop to see. They used to scan my Sierra with this big blue scanner (might be a tech2?) which would give them the exact codes. So maybe they can see what's going on.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Launching!

For anyone who comes accross this trying to find answers to the same problem,

After a day of searching they finally found what was causing it. A Failing Passenger seat module. Since the car is not under warranty it is 1000 bucks to fix, so for now I won't be doing mine.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:13 AM
11 Second Club

In the same boat with 07 Saturn Sky for the last 4 years , dealer charged 99.99 to scan systen and quote about a grand to repair. I too would like to jump the seat seansor, should be some way to jump it to stop the dash light, if OP/any one know which wires to jumper/cut to kill light PLEASE PM me
Thanks, Johnny

ps: dash light stays on all time with/without any weight in pass seat
Old 10-03-2014, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS SLP2

ps: dash light stays on all time with/without any weight in pass seat
My '08 GXP does this. The passenger indicator light above the radio seems to work OK, but the gauge cluster airbag light comes on 80% of the time, with or without a passenger. I inspected the wire harness under the passenger seat and it was fine. I just hope if I get in an accident, the airbags deploy. F**k this car, seriously.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default light

my car been doing that since i bought it,ironically gm couldn't duplicate problem,shocker,it still does it today at 197,000 lol,don't worry about it
Old 10-08-2014, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Ya I'm not going to now. *Knock on wood* but the fkn thing seems to work perfectly now. Soon as I post this it'll stop working I bet but w/e.

I hear the Impala's might be getting recalled soon for passenger airbags not deploying in accidents.... if that happens they better recall the GXP's too cause they clearly have the exact same bullshit electrical system.

In both the accidents the passengers still survived but still it caused more injuries. I'm gonna have to have my gf drive my car now whenever we go somewhere together lol.

Quick Reply: Airbag Light problems