LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

2007 GXP- CTS-V Brakes, E-cutout, Custom Shifter, Front Splitter, and more

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phantom GXP
When I was grasping for ever 1/100th I could with the camaro I never shyed away from extra weight if it improved safety or performance.

My philosophy was to gain it back with horsepower. I literally had one of the worst drivetrains as far as weight goes but I still dynoed over 700rwhp and ran high 9's and never once worried about cutting my day short due to broken drivetrain parts.
That's good advice; can't argue with that mindset.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got my rear rotors; I'm pretty impressed with the quality and look:

I also got my bushings today. Ordered 5, in case I **** one up:

How do I go about putting these in? Do I put them on my bolt and run it in, or tap them in the knuckle with a small hammer first??
Old 12-04-2013, 04:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tap them in - don't need much force. If you put them on the bolts first, they can mushroom out before setting all the way in.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

So this is my rear driver side:

And this is my rear passenger side:

What is that? Some sort of dust shield?
Can I hack it off with a dremel; doesn't look like it is doing much besides collecting rust.

Also, is this the correct brake fluid I should be using?:

I hope to be underway with the project tonight, starting with the back.. but I still don't have my front V caliper bolts
Old 12-07-2013, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

The dust shield is there to keep debris out of the parking brake assembly. What seems to be gone is the outer portion.

The whole thing actually connects the hub to the parking brake actuator assembly. There's also a lip on the shield that holds the parking brake shoe in place.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GXP25
The dust shield is there to keep debris out of the parking brake assembly. What seems to be gone is the outer portion. The whole thing actually connects the hub to the parking brake actuator assembly. There's also a lip on the shield that holds the parking brake shoe in place.
Okay, I see what you mean now. I just ripped the rest of the shield off, but kept all of the parking brake component. It was rusty enough to basically tear off with my hands.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I got around to putting the rears back together, with the new Rotors, painted Caliper, and Caliper bracket with new hardware.

I threw the monster 14" GT500 Rotor from Brake Performance on the Front. I won't be able to finish the Fronts until my bolts come in; hopefully Tuesday/Wednesday

Took off the stock front lines, and decided to paint the bracket black while I'm waiting for my bolts. (Spraying them black)

And here is my filthy car. It's been sitting for 3 weeks now. I have clear plastic wrap over my stickers in the back, so they don't get dirty while its in the garage for the winter. You can also see my 3rd brake light decal (kind of hard to see)

I'm murdered out all around the car, so the taillights are staying red; tinting them would be overkill. I am thinking about tinting the reverse bar though. Its a very awkward clear piece, I'm sure GP owners would agree on that.

And there's my pop's '67 GTO, which I've been bugging him to restore..
Old 12-19-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Finally, I got the CTS-V Bolts in the mail (30 bucks for 4 bolts!):

Here's my SS brake lines:

And here she is. I still have to connect the brake lines to the caliper and put in the pads, but I'm almost there:

And two quick questions: First, here is the bracket that holds the brake lines to the inside of the fender well. The retainer clip (I guess that's what you call it) wont work for these lines. Do I need to buy some slimmer clips, or will it be okay being "loose".

Secondly, My passenger side SS brake line didn't leak once I screwed it on. The Driver side was dripping like crazy. Am I to assume there is a blockage somewhere, or do you think I just don't have pressure in the passenger side line anymore?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Teching In

why did you paint the rotor's friction surface?
Old 02-05-2014, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Maxwell Power
why did you paint the rotor's friction surface?
I didn't, it's coated like that from brakeperformance.com. It turned into a nice shiny surface after bedding

Quick Reply: 2007 GXP- CTS-V Brakes, E-cutout, Custom Shifter, Front Splitter, and more