LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

passenger CV half shaft leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default passenger CV half shaft leak

ok so this has been an on going fight for me. My passenger side CV half shaft seal has been leaking since i got the car. I originally replaced the seal with one from O'reilly's then from Advance auto, then Napa, and the most recent is an OEM ACdelco from my dealer. I put the last seal in on thanksgiving of 2012 and it slowed the leak down to the point where i just ignored it and added half a quart ever 6 months. and i still wouldn't be on the low mark on the dip stick.
But recently I've noticed that the leak has yet again returned at about half a court every oil change and i can see the droplets forming on the sub from again.
here is a couple threads ive used/created in the past trying to get help on this awhile back.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a
the links are the cached format due to that site is currently down for maintenance. but you can still view the posts and all.

the car goes into storage next week for 8 months but I'd like to resolve this problem before i leave due to when i return I have bigger plans like cam and such. Any input would be amazing as the dealers all want an arm and a leg to look at it and i can do the work easily my self in the driveway.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Well...bump
Old 02-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

no one has any ideas at all on this?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by saltybreadstick
ok so this has been an on going fight for me. My passenger side CV half shaft seal has been leaking since i got the car. I originally replaced the seal with one from O'reilly's then from Advance auto, then Napa, and the most recent is an OEM ACdelco from my dealer. I put the last seal in on thanksgiving of 2012 and it slowed the leak down to the point where i just ignored it and added half a quart ever 6 months. and i still wouldn't be on the low mark on the dip stick.
But recently I've noticed that the leak has yet again returned at about half a court every oil change and i can see the droplets forming on the sub from again.
here is a couple threads ive used/created in the past trying to get help on this awhile back.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a
the links are the cached format due to that site is currently down for maintenance. but you can still view the posts and all.

the car goes into storage next week for 8 months but I'd like to resolve this problem before i leave due to when i return I have bigger plans like cam and such. Any input would be amazing as the dealers all want an arm and a leg to look at it and i can do the work easily my self in the driveway.
You added a half of a quart of what to your CV half shaft? You checked what dip stick associated with the CV half shaft?

Is this a joke?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GXP25
You added a half of a quart of what to your CV half shaft? You checked what dip stick associated with the CV half shaft?

Is this a joke?

I think he's referring to the seal between the c.v. axle and the trans where it goes in. He's adding trans fluid.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

any damage on the halfshaft itself that would cause it to jack up the seals?
Old 02-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Lmfao I should clarified that. By fluid I meant transmission fluid level. The seal the the CV half shaft goes through is what's leaking tranny fluid.
As for damage I don't see any and the CV shafthas about 9k miles on it
Old 02-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How bout any wheel damage or out of balance condition causing excessive vibration ?
Old 02-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a groove on the shaft where the seal rides?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Nope I have had road weel balancing tests done and everywhere i take it says that the tire is balanced. I've had the CV shaft out several times and when i inspect it before installiation I haven't noticed any wear marks or anything. Just a nice smooth surface all the way. Sadly i did just put the car into storage due to deployment but hopefully i can still find out some things to check for when i get back.

Quick Reply: passenger CV half shaft leak