LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Camshaft for a o6' SS Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft for a o6' SS Monte Carlo

Hello,

I'm just curious about this car. I purchased one about a month ago and I would like to make some changes to the motor. Before anyone starts with is a crummy car with it being a FWD---"I GOT ALL OF THAT", but "IT's MINE"!

Camshaft, headers, and a exhaust system.

My question, is do I need to change out the rocker arms when I add another camshaft?
Old 08-04-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Silberwing
Hello,

I'm just curious about this car. I purchased one about a month ago and I would like to make some changes to the motor. Before anyone starts with is a crummy car with it being a FWD---"I GOT ALL OF THAT", but "IT's MINE"!

Camshaft, headers, and a exhaust system.

My question, is do I need to change out the rocker arms when I add another camshaft?
Definitely not a crummy car cam shaft is alot of work id start with intake swap then headers and full exhaust but if you cam i belive u have to change lifters and u can go with the ls9 cam and the cam wont really be worth it by it self in my opinion there is so much u can do just read through this fourm
Old 08-08-2014, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 pimpala ss
Definitely not a crummy car cam shaft is alot of work id start with intake swap then headers and full exhaust but if you cam i belive u have to change lifters and u can go with the ls9 cam and the cam wont really be worth it by it self in my opinion there is so much u can do just read through this fourm
No disrespect intended, but an LS9 cam without boost is a complete waste of time. OP will be very unhappy with the results if he goes to all that work to install a cam not optimized for his application.

Best way to go is to get a cam spec'd out by either CalSpeed or Patrick G. All you need to do is describe your mods and how the car will be driven, and they'll come up with the best grind for the application.

When I put the LS3 heads/intake/tb on my Camaro, I got a cam spec'd by CalSpeed, and my 480+ to the wheels has put the hurt on much more highly modded cars, including some FI ****.

Get spec'd cam and you won't regret it.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
No disrespect intended, but an LS9 cam without boost is a complete waste of time. OP will be very unhappy with the results if he goes to all that work to install a cam not optimized for his application.

Best way to go is to get a cam spec'd out by either CalSpeed or Patrick G. All you need to do is describe your mods and how the car will be driven, and they'll come up with the best grind for the application.

When I put the LS3 heads/intake/tb on my Camaro, I got a cam spec'd by CalSpeed, and my 480+ to the wheels has put the hurt on much more highly modded cars, including some FI ****.

Get spec'd cam and you won't regret it.
All that was a opinion never did i tell him that he should go with the ls9 cam i said i would go with it . It would be a total waste of time without boost I agree.. In my op a cam on a stock ls4 with no other supporting mods would be a waste anyway
Old 08-09-2014, 08:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default cam

I think the first question to ask is, what is your budget? I did a cam, upgraded valve train, ported and shaved heads, ls1 intake, headers and exhaust and a TEP transmission. Do some reading after that if you want my old cam I will sell it to you for next to nothing. It's a 056 boss, the manufacturer has a sound clip on their web site.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:17 PM

i have been thinking about putting a 2013 l99 camshaft in my ls4. anyone tried this or will it work? i know it has more duration and lift that the stock ls4
Old 08-20-2014, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VDVAN01
i have been thinking about putting a 2013 l99 camshaft in my ls4. anyone tried this or will it work? i know it has more duration and lift that the stock ls4
Waste of time. You wouldn't see enough improvement to justify all of the time and effort to do the swap.

And like was mentioned above, a cam without any other supporting mods (intake, head work, headers, etc.) is a waste, too.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:41 AM

well im building a engine that i bought and was thinking of adding the cam
Old 08-21-2014, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VDVAN01
well im building a engine that i bought and was thinking of adding the cam
I'd still consider getting something that you gives you more room to grow.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well the cam can be a good idea if you already have the engine out and will in the future be upgrading the rest.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:28 AM

Thanks

Quick Reply: Camshaft for a o6' SS Monte Carlo