LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

BMR trailing arms

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default BMR trailing arms

While trying to track down a noise coming from the rear of my car I noticed one of my trailing arms was bent. I have no Idea how it happened, I would never put a jack in that area so my best guess would be one of Connecticuts giant potholes? After much research and consideration to both the BMR and the UMI bars, the end result was cost factor. They were 89 dollars off eBay, free shipping and no tax. UMI bars are 130. I used a couple of spacers to move them out from the tires so they wouldn't rub. These things are huge and very heavy duty compared to the factory bars. Initial results are a much firmer ride, and that was to be expected. I had the same feeling I had when I changed out the front mount for a poly one. While making these changes are a progression for going forward to modifying the vehicle for higher performance, the car lost refinement with both mods. I was hoping for a happy medium, these are the opposite end of that spectrum. One other item to note is the size of the bushing spacer, it is much thicker on the factory bars and I would have much rather seen that on the BMR bar as well. Suspension mods will be done on my car first before anything to increase power. I will be going right thru this entire suspension and upgrading everything with a combination of Moog and other aftermarket parts, probably early spring if I can hold out that long while acquiring all the parts needed and seeking out the best deals. I will post back with any positive or negative changes from this mod.
Attached Thumbnails BMR trailing arms-bmr1.jpg   BMR trailing arms-bmr2.jpg   BMR trailing arms-bmr3.jpg  
Old 08-15-2015, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

easy to change with the right tools?
Old 08-15-2015, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

The hardest parts of this job was jacking up the rear of the car, jack points on the rear of this car are idiotic. I am really considering having a tab welded to the steel bumper insert right in the middle to assist in jacking. I'm getting too old to be crawling around looking for place that will be good to lift from but wont be in the way for jack stands. Air tools made quick work of it, but I will have to recheck the bolts in a couple of days to be sure everything is still good. I like the fact they are grease able, it was a good purchase I think, time will tell.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You will love the setup. I got the rear stb bar to fit as well with some modification.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hope so, that looks great. Post a pic of the rear strut bar if you can, its a mod I want for sure. I like the look of the factory bars with the Don Rome adapters, I just don't think the adapters should cost that much, and I would prefer steel over aluminum also. Hoping to maybe find a used pair as there are very few options besides custom fab strut bars for these cars .
Old 08-15-2015, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dam 91 that swaybar looks mighty fat,dorman?
Old 08-15-2015, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91parkave
You will love the setup. I got the rear stb bar to fit as well with some modification.

LOL, how the hell does that help. I need to see the mounting points if you made some mods to make it work. BMR says the strut bar wont work on ours, we all know anything is possible with some customization
Old 08-15-2015, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by superglide9375
dam 91 that swaybar looks mighty fat,dorman?
That sway bar looks factory?
Old 08-15-2015, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yup i did same thing as 91 except mine are black,night and day as far as handling even the strut bars i got from donrhome made a difference,u will see also i put canuck 1.7 spring on also all this stuff ties in together nicely
Old 08-15-2015, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hopefully, that is my plan as well. Will be adding this rear bar too, its a monster.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aco-2179
Old 08-15-2015, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by rottonj
LOL, how the hell does that help. I need to see the mounting points if you made some mods to make it work. BMR says the strut bar wont work on ours, we all know anything is possible with some customization
I went through the trouble cause I don't like non tension adjusting strut tower braces. This ****** is thick to and probably complete overkill. But that's how I built my suspension.

To the right you can see where I had to slightly enlarge the flange to fit around and clear the lip area.

You'll see the 2 lines here that needed to be cut back to clear the bracket area for the BMR stb to clear. After all that your all set. Took me about 30 minutes to figure it out and test fit and execute.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:47 AM

Hopefully, that is my plan as well. Will be adding this rear bar too, its a monster.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aco-2179
Look here first http://www.grandprixforums.net/threa...ar-is-not-dead!
Old 08-15-2015, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I saw that thread, very informative. That is not the bar I linked to though, its a little smaller and solid verse the larger hollow bar. I over research everything, may change my mind about it a couple of time by the time I'm ready to do it lol.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91parkave
I went through the trouble cause I don't like non tension adjusting strut tower braces. This ****** is thick to and probably complete overkill. But that's how I built my suspension.

To the right you can see where I had to slightly enlarge the flange to fit around and clear the lip area.

You'll see the 2 lines here that needed to be cut back to clear the bracket area for the BMR stb to clear. After all that your all set. Took me about 30 minutes to figure it out and test fit and execute.

Thank you. Looks good. Is that metal you removed just part of the rear seat support?
Old 08-15-2015, 12:08 PM

Thank you. Looks good. Is that metal you removed just part of the rear seat support?
Yea, it doesn't take away from any structure. I just made the cut and hit it with hammer till that section folded out the way.

The sway bar does not seem to be correct for a wbody. Be careful Summit has massive catalog errors as well.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm, I got that part number from an Overkill Motorsports page, I will do some more research. I'm good with cutting that brace for this mod, this is on my top of mods so thank you for letting me and others know what it takes to make it work. ****** looks awesome, just what I want. Do you think the front BMR could also be made to work with some raising or welding the attaching points to a different angle and using some kind of a helm joint?

http://www.getoverkilled.ca/wbodytech.html
Old 08-15-2015, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh yea i ordered the front aadco but had to send it back because of the difference in the way the links hook up on our car of coarse i took everything apart first and then found out it wouldn't match up lol
Old 08-15-2015, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the GMPP front and will be ordering the Moog lower control arms that attach it correctly. Didn't know Addco made a front. Have a part number?
Old 08-15-2015, 12:29 PM

Nah the front is a different story. When I finally get done with school I'll have some time to start fabricating **** again
Old 08-15-2015, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, it really looks tough to do that one. I would like it right up against the back of the engine bay , almost running behind everything. I'm sure it could be done, not by me though lol.

Quick Reply: BMR trailing arms