LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Recently with my GXP...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recently with my GXP...

Hello to all fellow LS4 community members, it's been quite awhile since my last posting. Being the fact I work 50 hours a week and a lot going on in my life at the moment, I've found it rather difficult to find time or the will to post a recent update. My car has come a long way since my last thread, and I hope you guys can appreciate it as much as I do. I will include pictures as I go through what I have done, and what I plan to do. Any advice/constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

So, I'll just list what I have done first and explain a bit more in depth as I go. Starting with my exterior, it hasn't changed much. With the exception of new headlights, wind deflectors, and debadging of the Grand Prix on the trunk and the GM logos on the fenders. Also got a muffler delete, because my mufflers were rusted out at the inlets and rattling like hell. I had the tips stick out a little more as well. In addition, I also smoked out the reverse light lense because I thought it stood out like a sore dick. After countless wheel-out's and paint work, I have gotten it to almost a mirror reflection. I haven't really experimented with anything too abrasive, but for the hours and hours of buffing, I'd say it looks pretty damn good.

As you can see, I did get the CCFL halo headlights. The only running light I have hooked up are the halos themselves, along with my switchbacks in the turn signals. I was a bit skeptical with the aim of the beams and brightnes problems that ensued, but with my lower grille fogs (8000k) and the addition of a 55watt 6000k HID kit, it lights up the road exceptionally well and I feel will not require any further modification. The combination of all the lights really gets some attention.

As far as the engine/tranny goes, haven't done much. Haven't had to. The trans has been running strong, thankfully, being the fact I am at 98k now, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and start some service/mods to it over the winter (shift kit, fluid/filter change) I check the fluid as often as I can, still looks normal with no burn smell or sign of debris/dirt when wiped on a white rag. I did have to replace the MSD wires because they showed signs of heat damage, and a few of them were causing a miss. I picked up the Taylor cable wires and haven't looked back. I notice it likes to burn about a quart every few thousand miles, I've heard this is normal for having DOD activated, and I have read into why. Knowing this, and for other reasons, I will be looking into a hand held tuner in the very near future. I've heard good things about the diablosport line of products, and the in tune is relatively inexpensive considering most of these go for a lot more. Please advise me in any way possible on this, as I'm new to aftermarket tunes and I'm wanting to learn as much as I can.

Now for my favorite, and quite frankly, my biggest acomplishment with the car to date. I completely overhauled the audio system. I spent weeks and weeks researching, and figuring out what would be best for what, ect... Here's a list of everything I installed:

-Pioneer AVH-x8700BHS head unit
-infinity kappa 6.5 components in front
-infinity kappa 6x9 2-ways in rear
-alpine PDX-F4 4 channel
-alpine 15" type r, vented enclosure, with a JVC 600watt RMS amp I had laying around. May upgrade soon.

That's the gist equipment I put in, not accounting for the wiring harnesses and such (non monsoon stock system) I went and dynamated all the doors and deck/trunk, as well. Let me tell you. I've installed a lot of systems in numerous cars, this is by far the best setup I have ever ran. Sound clarity is crystal, and the sub is just the right amount of punch without being overbearing. Power draw is exceptional, doesn't really cause any dimming unless I'm pushing it to near max and the song playing has a lot of low frequency notes. I can live with it, as I don't listen to music that loud normally anyway. Worse come to worse, there are lots of options I can consider to correct it. I'm not worried about it, I'm more than happy with it.

***Before I wrap this post up, I do have a question id like to ask. I'm getting a very strong fuel odor from the left rear area of the car. You can smell it from the inside of the car, usually getting back into it after I've driven and shut it down. Occasionally while driving, and I'll get the check gas cap warning followed by a p0442. First time it threw a p0455. I already tried replacing the cap and the canister purge solenoid under the hood. I'm thinking it's the vapor canister itself, seeing as it seems to be a common issue with these cars. I haven't had a chance to look under there, so I'm not sure if I'll need to replace just the canister or the "assembly" including any hoses needed and such. Either way, could I get away with just replacing the canister itself?

I know I may be forgetting a few things...installed BMR trailing arms as well... but overall, this has been the best car I've ever owned. It couldn't be a better, more fun daily. I'm going to be getting another vehicle for the winter to keep this thing put away from the snow, to keep miles off it, and so I can get some things done on it for real. I have big plans for her, between aftermarket wheels, struts/lowering springs, the list goes on. I have developed a strong love for the car since I bought it in February and has become something I would consider keeping long-term. In my opinion, being what it is, it is a fantastic looking car that people still can't seem to figure out what it is half the time. Lol. But anyways, thanks for taking the time to read my novel. I will try to make it a point to update more often, I am an enthusiast just as you all, just have a very restricted time schedule. Hope you all like where it's going!

Last edited by ZGXP101; 10-08-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice! That thing shines. Great job on the stereo as well as everything else. I think you are on the right track with the vapor canister, I would start there. Unless you want to throw parts at it you should probably get the engine smoke test done. There are plenty of cigar type methods you could do yourself, just Google that subject. Good luck!
Old 10-09-2015, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice ride! I replaced my vapor canister vent solenoid a couple months ago. I had to take off the rear driver's side wheel to get at it, but then it only took about 15 minutes. I had that same P0442 code and the new part took care of that.
Also, I highly recommend the Diablosport tuner. The car runs better, shifts are firmer and doesn't burn any oil now. After I tuned it, I also replaced the plugs and wires since the DOD plugs were pretty well used up.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

nice, that makes me wish i got black interior,lolo
Old 10-09-2015, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Tinted windshield too? Your car looks so amazing and clean. Makes me wish I got a gxp instead of a monte ;-;

Last edited by Koren; 10-09-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you all for the kind words! Makes me happy knowing others can appreciate it as much as I do. Working so much, I don't really have time to put it out there as much as I'd like to. So hearing all this makes me feel like I'm doing something right! Thanks again.

As I said, I have so many plans for the car that I'm trying to work into my time schedule. It's been a joy to come on here and see what everyone else is doing with their cars, and has guided me when working with mine. I'm going to try to update as often as possible to make sure my car isn't forgotten. My goal is to be an active member of the community, offering and taking advice. I'm grateful places like this exsist on the Internet, that's for sure! Haha
Old 10-09-2015, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Grand Prix GXP
Nice ride! I replaced my vapor canister vent solenoid a couple months ago. I had to take off the rear driver's side wheel to get at it, but then it only took about 15 minutes. I had that same P0442 code and the new part took care of that.
Also, I highly recommend the Diablosport tuner. The car runs better, shifts are firmer and doesn't burn any oil now. After I tuned it, I also replaced the plugs and wires since the DOD plugs were pretty well used up.
Thanks! Defiantly going with the diablosport after reading this. It seems pretty straightforward to do, and the gains are more than worth it. Good call on changing the plugs, I've heard DOD can really mess them up. I've replaced them already but it makes perfect sense replacing them again post-tune to start fresh. The vapor canister will be getting replaced this weekend, hopefully my turnout is the same. Thanks for the input!
Old 10-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Koren
Tinted windshield too? Your car looks so amazing and clean. Makes me wish I got a gxp instead of a monte ;-;
Yes the windshield is tinted too. All the tint was done already when I bought it from a dodge dealer in February. It's so nicely done, I don't want to take it off. Plus I haven't gotten any trouble, surprisingly. Thank you for the compliment! Many many hours of detailing and buffing!
Old 10-09-2015, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would absolutely not use the DiabloSport tuner, Yes it disabled DOD really im not sure all what else it does. But i know for a fact, the tune it adjusts for the engine is useless. It modifes the tables based on grams of air entering the engine. The tables that are modified are on a scale so high your engine will never be capable of even reaching the type of air input to even see the scales it alters. My suggestion is to invest in HP tuners, especially if you are in this for the long haul and plan on having way more control over your vehicle and for a scan tool, i've said this in the past i recommend Auto Enginuity

if you are concerned about the difficulty using HP tuners, have no fear, there are plenty of us here who will/can assist you in making the simple modifications that DiabloTune can.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is a post i made about that whole engine tune scam,
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...rk-tables.html
Old 10-09-2015, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sint3k
I would absolutely not use the DiabloSport tuner, Yes it disabled DOD really im not sure all what else it does. But i know for a fact, the tune it adjusts for the engine is useless. It modifes the tables based on grams of air entering the engine. The tables that are modified are on a scale so high your engine will never be capable of even reaching the type of air input to even see the scales it alters. My suggestion is to invest in HP tuners, especially if you are in this for the long haul and plan on having way more control over your vehicle and for a scan tool, i've said this in the past i recommend Auto Enginuity

if you are concerned about the difficulty using HP tuners, have no fear, there are plenty of us here who will/can assist you in making the simple modifications that DiabloTune can.
i wasnt gonna be the one to say it this time around lol
Old 10-09-2015, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

when i was looking at the tune it adjusted, it honestly made me really mad. Because all those people who do not know any better.....
Old 10-09-2015, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

when i was looking at the tune it adjusted, it honestly made me really mad. Because all those people who do not know any better.....
This is why I inquired on tuning options. Having not used either or, I can only go off of what I have read/heard. I do know that HP tuners is supposedly better/more in depth from what I have read, but like I said, I've also read that daiblosport (in-tune for example) offered a good hand held for the price that offered options like custom ECM and TCM tunes, as well DOD deactivate, rev limiter delete, and tunes for higher octane fuel (I run 93 currently on stock tune). Don't hold me to that info, it's just what I read. I also know that a member of the community (Lew) does custom tunes for your vehicle through diablosport. As I said previously, I've never actually used any type of handheld on any car, but I feel I am more than capable of figuring it out with a bit of guidance, as I am knowledgable and tech savvy. I do wish to achieve more real gains across the board, not limited to just deleting DOD. I will look further into HP tuners based on what you have said. Thank you for the input, it's good to know there are people who actually look out for you and make sure you don't end up dissatisfied with a purchase such as this.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZGXP101
This is why I inquired on tuning options. Having not used either or, I can only go off of what I have read/heard. I do know that HP tuners is supposedly better/more in depth from what I have read, but like I said, I've also read that daiblosport (in-tune for example) offered a good hand held for the price that offered options like custom ECM and TCM tunes, as well DOD deactivate, rev limiter delete, and tunes for higher octane fuel (I run 93 currently on stock tune). Don't hold me to that info, it's just what I read. I also know that a member of the community (Lew) does custom tunes for your vehicle through diablosport. As I said previously, I've never actually used any type of handheld on any car, but I feel I am more than capable of figuring it out with a bit of guidance, as I am knowledgable and tech savvy. I do wish to achieve more real gains across the board, not limited to just deleting DOD. I will look further into HP tuners based on what you have said. Thank you for the input, it's good to know there are people who actually look out for you and make sure you don't end up dissatisfied with a purchase such as this.
I could easily send you basemap settings to use and show you how to adjust your tune via datalogs and such if you wanted to. I know alot of people that just cant afford some of the prices these tuners charge for dyno tuning, ive seen it as high as $1000 for 3 hours. I typically charge $200 bucks to local's that are looking for a one time street tune to get them going until they are ready for more serious stuff. NA cars are very easy to work with off the dyno.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I forced myself to leave my rev limiter at 3k, If i dont i know i'll bang it up to 6k every time i park, lol
Old 10-09-2015, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by spawne32
I could easily send you basemap settings to use and show you how to adjust your tune via datalogs and such if you wanted to. I know alot of people that just cant afford some of the prices these tuners charge for dyno tuning, ive seen it as high as $1000 for 3 hours. I typically charge $200 bucks to local's that are looking for a one time street tune to get them going until they are ready for more serious stuff. NA cars are very easy to work with off the dyno.
Exactly why I opted for the handheld option as oppose to taking it to a dyno shop. Plus I'm sure with HP tuners, it would be more of a vehicle specific tune, am I correct? I have a muffler delete and a Cold Air Inductions intake at the moment, would I be able to utilize these mods to their full advantage? I haven't given much thought into further mods, due to it being debatable if any real gains can be made. I have been looking at an aftermarket downpipe, haven't decided yet. I'm still up in the air about a lot with this car as far as mods to the motor. I'm sure others here can advise me what's worth doing and what's not. (Intake swap, TBS, MAF, ect...) As far as I can tell, however, getting a tune seems to be the most beneficial mod you can do with these cars from what everyone says. HP tuners can tune the TCM as well?
Old 10-09-2015, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exactly why I opted for the handheld option as oppose to taking it to a dyno shop. Plus I'm sure with HP tuners, it would be more of a vehicle specific tune, am I correct? I have a muffler delete and a Cold Air Inductions intake at the moment, would I be able to utilize these mods to their full advantage? I haven't given much thought into further mods, due to it being debatable if any real gains can be made. I have been looking at an aftermarket downpipe, haven't decided yet. I'm still up in the air about a lot with this car as far as mods to the motor. I'm sure others here can advise me what's worth doing and what's not. (Intake swap, TBS, MAF, ect...) As far as I can tell, however, getting a tune seems to be the most beneficial mod you can do with these cars from what everyone says. HP tuners can tune the TCM as well?
Hptuners can tune the TCM yes, and remove all of the torque management which is where most of the gains come from. Your right it would be vehicle specific, can tunes like what you get with the diablosport only address specific parameters that can be adjusted across a broad spectrum of vehicles, SAFELY, key word. You might upload a 93 octane tune but it will leave everything pretty much stock and maybe give a minor bump in spark advance by a degree or two at most, wont really be tuned for the car. Often times ive seen them make cars pig rich for safety reasons as not to risk blowing the car up @ WOT.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

just to give you an idea

Old 10-10-2015, 01:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by spawne32
Hptuners can tune the TCM yes, and remove all of the torque management which is where most of the gains come from. Your right it would be vehicle specific, can tunes like what you get with the diablosport only address specific parameters that can be adjusted across a broad spectrum of vehicles, SAFELY, key word. You might upload a 93 octane tune but it will leave everything pretty much stock and maybe give a minor bump in spark advance by a degree or two at most, wont really be tuned for the car. Often times ive seen them make cars pig rich for safety reasons as not to risk blowing the car up @ WOT.
Thank you for all of this useful information. I can tell by the data tables that it is very in-depth, instead of using preloaded *safe* generic tunes that in all reality are about as useful as a performance chip. I will defiantly be on here in the very near future asking for help, I'm going to look into Hptuners and go from there. I'm glad you guys steered me away from diablosport, with such little gains it would have been a waste of my time and money. I'm assuming it will back up my stock tune, and I will be able to make my adjustments from a computer after logging, and then load the altered tune to the vehicle? Like I said, I'm new to this so I'll need any guidance I can get. But I'm more than capable of learning, and the interest and will to do it is there. My only concern is having something go wrong and having to get my ECM flashed. Lol. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out with this, it's greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:18 AM
Staging Lane

I forced myself to leave my rev limiter at 3k, If i dont i know i'll bang it up to 6k every time i park, lol
Lmfao, I hear that. And every tunnel...haha

Quick Reply: Recently with my GXP...