LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Minor oil leak after switch to synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,
My comments & questions are noob-ish! But I appreciate your help. If I didn't mention it before, my car is a 2008 GXP, mostly stock, with the exception of a Diablo tune (no more DOD). The car used to burn at least a quart of oil in between oil changes, which were being done at 3,000 mile intervals. Mobil 1 synthetic high mileage oil has always been used, 5W-30. Since the tune, the engine hasn't used much oil at all, maybe 1/2 a quart between changes, if that.
Since I learned that I can go longer than 3,000 miles, I kept an eye on the level and condition of the oil, then went ahead and changed it at 5,000 miles.
My question is about the oil monitor - I've never even looked at that gauge before it was mentioned in this thread (and have never reset it before). But when I checked it the other day before I changed the oil, it was reading 13% (which would appear correct since I had 5,000 miles on that oil). Since I've never reset this gauge, I'm questioning the accuracy of that reading. I did reset it yesterday after changing the oil because the gauge wasn't changing - which makes me think the gauge isn't really reading the oil condition, but is just based on time and mileage, relative to the last reset. What do you folks think? Thanks.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it utilizes temperature, rpms, and mileage to calculate oil life. There is no means of "sampling" the oil with the sensor as far as I'm aware.

Quick Reply: Minor oil leak after switch to synthetic