LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

transmission cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default transmission cooler

Here is an update to the thread I started about the transmission cooler I installed. The original thread is here.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...install-4.html

Well this cooler probably works a little too well, probably best for much hotter climates. I installed inline with the radiator cooler. The trans temp never got over 186 degrees all summer long, even sitting in traffic jams on 95 degree days. I drive all the time with the DIC reading transmission temp and have been monitoring it since March. It is getting cold here in the mornings, got frost on the pumpkins . When I left the house this morning it was 35 degrees. I have a 45 minute commute consisting of 40% highway and 60 % back roads with lots of hills and lights. When I arrived to work the transmission temp was 118 degrees, that is far too cool for sure. I let it idle to be sure when I got here and within 10 minutes it was over 150 degrees. I don't recommend a cooler of this size for colder weather areas. Hopefully I can find something for winter soon as I don't want to put this car or this transmission thru another winter. Just a follow up and an FYI for anyone contemplating a cooler. Read the older thread for any details needed. Thanks
Old 10-26-2015, 11:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Having your fluid at 118 degrees won't kill anything. Your running a synthetic fluid in your trans. So viscosity isn't a factor when it comes down to it. Nobody has ever reported a failure from cold fluid Temps with dex 6 in there tranission
Old 10-26-2015, 11:43 AM

If your concerned though just place some sheet metal over a portion of your cooler. For the winter season
Old 10-26-2015, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Thanks. I'm hoping to not have to have another winter season with this car .
Old 10-26-2015, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Having your fluid at 118 degrees won't kill anything. Your running a synthetic fluid in your trans. So viscosity isn't a factor when it comes down to it. Nobody has ever reported a failure from cold fluid Temps with dex 6 in there tranission
Having the fluid under operating temp causes the same issues if your engine was running at 118* all the time. There are parameters in the trans ECU that change the way the trans shifts and when the lockup engages according to the temperature of the fluid. That's even evident in the tune files on hptuners. Make sure your trans fluid can always reach 150+.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:51 PM

Apples and oranges. Engine operating temp a whole diffrent animal. Your trans tables increase pressure anyway when cold, aND that's only till 111 degrees anywway. Tcc lockup only locks based on speed but I have heard a minimum of 89 degrees must be achieved for it to all work
Old 10-26-2015, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91parkave
Apples and oranges. Engine operating temp a whole diffrent animal. Your trans tables increase pressure anyway when cold, aND that's only till 111 degrees anywway. Tcc lockup only locks based on speed but I have heard a minimum of 89 degrees must be achieved for it to all work
Trans pressure is DECREASED when cold to avoid damage due to higher viscosity from cold fluid. This is done via the force apply motor, higher the value in ma the lower the fluid pressure. This value is scaled across the entire temperature range even into overtemp and abuse mode. Do yourself a favor rottonj and don't destroy that new trans your planning on putting in by running it ice cold. There is a reason these things have "operating temps". You can call it apples to oranges to pears or whatever other fruit you can think of, it all has the same purpose which is to get the trans to its normally functioning temperature for maximum longevity.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

I guess I will let this thing warm up in the morning for awhile until I find my winter car. This trans I am not worried about as its on its last leg. Once the new trans goes in it will be done with its daily driving duties anyway. Thanks for the info, appreciated as always.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's why I used the b&m cooler, it's the biggest super cooler that's minimal size with the inline function where it keeps the trans temps cool, but it never drops under the temp where it'll be "too cool" for your car. I don't think the Hayden has that feature.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koren
That's why I used the b&m cooler, it's the biggest super cooler that's minimal size with the inline function where it keeps the trans temps cool, but it never drops under the temp where it'll be "too cool" for your car. I don't think the Hayden has that feature.
I have heard of the valved coolers that use tstats to open and close but I didnt think the B&M's had that function.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by spawne32
I have heard of the valved coolers that use tstats to open and close but I didnt think the B&M's had that function.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CIIDZE/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has built in bypass for colder climates. So it should work fine
Old 10-28-2015, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koren
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CIIDZE/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has built in bypass for colder climates. So it should work fine
gotcha, rottonj this would be alot better for your situation.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

I thought the one I bought had that feature too, guess not. I can add the thermostat if I need to. Not worried about it now, if this tranny toasts then so be it.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rottonj
I thought the one I bought had that feature too, guess not. I can add the thermostat if I need to. Not worried about it now, if this tranny toasts then so be it.
Imo I would buy the one I got, swap them and sell that one to someone in a warmer climate or keep it for a spare car, it's better than spending over 1k for a rebuild, I'm broke so that's what I would do. I'm sure someone who tows a lot during the summer would buy it cheap locally, or someone who drags and only does it in the summer/spring. Hell I got a guy here who just got a Monte that's looking O-O....

I wrote this as I thought to myself (lol)

Quick Reply: transmission cooler