LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

LS2 Intake manifold and LS7 maf swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 91parkave
All you need to do is shift the harness,no reason to use a modified pumore for a ls2. Also you should take the time now to put some heat reflective material on the bottom of the intake before slapping it on it helps tons. And if you can go around the outer shell with a welder or soldering iron and join the seem it will help with the inherent flaws of the ls2 structure
Ive heard of the reflective tape thing, i really dont buy into it. I have brand new foam isolators under there that I glued on this morning, and it has a fairly large amount of space beneath it with the low profile valley cover that should allow air to pass through. CSP assures me that there are no issues with leaking air and I tested the seam around the outside and it was airtight. Only thing that really concerns me is these seams in the runners and this loose flap of one section, but they said it also is a non issue. Ill defer to their judgement on this one because they have great success with these.

[/url]
Old 04-16-2016, 11:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You'll find in time, that gap will open up with vacuum applied, while it still "works" doing some preventitive measures now will ensure the manifold runners maintain structural integrity.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91parkave
You'll find in time, that gap will open up with vacuum applied, while it still "works" doing some preventitive measures now will ensure the manifold runners maintain structural integrity.
Well ill keep an eye on it, I can use my bore scope to go down into the runners to check them anytime i please, not to mention this thing shouldnt be that difficult to remove anyway. If i have to ill plastic weld the seems together and smooth the runners out again. But thats a last resort.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:03 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep good idea. I've pulled mine about every 4 or 5 months and the gap has grown inside. Yours might do a little since mine is the fully ported version with the posts removed.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by spawne32
Ive heard of the reflective tape thing, i really dont buy into it. I have brand new foam isolators under there that I glued on this morning, and it has a fairly large amount of space beneath it with the low profile valley cover that should allow air to pass through. CSP assures me that there are no issues with leaking air and I tested the seam around the outside and it was airtight. Only thing that really concerns me is these seams in the runners and this loose flap of one section, but they said it also is a non issue. Ill defer to their judgement on this one because they have great success with these.

[/url]
Can you post more pics of the foam insulators as to where they sit on the manifold.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Name:  290x3t2-1.jpg
Views: 8001
Size:  50.5 KB
Old 04-17-2016, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait for the results!
Old 04-17-2016, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

coming in like, several minutes, im still trying to soak in the throttle response and power gain lol
Old 04-17-2016, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so, i have to go back and take pics of the stuff that I had to modify, ill post a list in a bit after I sit down to eat some dinner. I didn't have time to take pics towards the end of the day because I was on a deadline to get this car running so I can get to work tomorrow. lol

Needless to say, the response is...INSANE. Now my MAF scale on the stock maf is already around +60% more fuel because of my already existing mods. I couldn't even get the car to stay running with the swap without at least +120% to stay running, wound up being about 180% more fuel all together. As I tune in the MAF scale it looks as though the scale is going to be flatter, it wants more fuel in the low HZ areas and less fuel up top by about 15%. The cylinder airmass I used to hit at WOT at the track was at most .68 in previous runs in which i had ran 13.7 @ 102. Ill let the picture speak for itself in a minute of what im hitting at PART THROTTLE. lol

I have a few more things to clean up, my PCV is venting to air, as is the purge , my brake booster is clamped tightly over the 3/8 fitting just so I have brakes while I drive tomorrow. lol Ill need to modify my CAI box a little bit more to accommodate the larger pipe, its on a bad angle right now. I have a thicker gasket coming for the MAP sensor to make it a little more secure. I also had some fitment issues sliding the intake all the way back, the coolant vent hose needs to be hammered back quite a bit otherwise it hits the port on the back of the LS2 manifold despite the barbs being lopped off.

The crossover coolant lines for the heater hoses also had to be hammered down and bent back some to allow clearance around the 90mm tb, I had to make sure those were also not rubbing against anything like the crossover pipe or the end of the TB so I didnt have to worry about a hole rubbing through.

A big issue is the pinout for the LS2/LS3 throttle body is WRONG. The 5v and Low reference signals need to be from the same pairing. Ill have to make an adjustment there on the diagram. Took me a half hour to figure out why the thing kept going into engine pwr reduced and throwing a P2101 code.

I machined spacers for the bottom of the fuel rail and they worked out perfectly, the PCV vent solenoid mounts up in almost the OEM location and the swap looks damn near perfect, as if it belonged there. Oil pressure is steady at 37-45psi at idle with the gasket I used, gets close to 60psi when driving. All in all it turned out very well.

[/url]
Old 04-17-2016, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOOK AT THAT CYLINDER AIRMASS

Old 04-17-2016, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Needs some pics of the power steering pump magic. Whats up with the wires coming out of the MAF, was the harness changed?

Last edited by rottonj; 04-17-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh, the pinout on the LS7 maf is different even though our connector is the same, so i just bought a new connector and wired it up correctly. I havent finished looming it up yet so thats why its like that.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Pics of that too then lol. Great job as always.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol ill get as many pics as i can tomorrow and make a bullet point list of things that need to be modified.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

so something unusual happened, went to the floor with it, and it did a pull, and when it went to shift it went into engine power reduced, not sure why. Then stability control came on and stayed lit up. I had to pull into a lot and the car was running rough, I couldnt get a code off the PCM for anything but when i hit clear dtc's it gave me the throttle back. Not sure what that was about.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

so im getting P2101 and P1516 throttle position different then desired, im showing actual with the Key on engine off as 27% and its desiring 22%. Soon as you go to the floor with it and release, it goes into engine power reduced.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like im gonna have to re-examine the wiring again tomorrow, if not, the TAC module in the tb might be bad.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more and more intake swaps I see the more I think this is one of the best bang for the buck mods to do..

Hope you get the bugs ironed out soon!
Old 04-17-2016, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike The Canadian
The more and more intake swaps I see the more I think this is one of the best bang for the buck mods to do..

Hope you get the bugs ironed out soon!
I have a feeling its probably wiring related, thing that strikes me as odd is the fact that it drives fine part throttle, soonas you hit the floor, it goofs up. lol
Old 04-17-2016, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Looks like it will be part throttle to work . You will get it figured out, and save the masses some trouble lol

Quick Reply: LS2 Intake manifold and LS7 maf swap thread