LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Extended length oil filters for 07-09 only

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Extended length oil filters for 07-09 only

Anyone venture into using something a little longer on the 07-09 models? They have a metric thread and are different from the 05-06 models. I have used Mobil 1 filters on mine right from the start, model M1-113 . The deeper transmission pan thread got me thinking about adding oil capacity. Thru my research it looks like Mobil 1 M1-212 has the same thread and is longer, but not sure how much room we have to spare. Looks to be about an inch, and I think this might be about 1 1/2 longer than stock. This isn't a whats better oil filter debate, just curious if it has been tried and what was used if you did. Parkave had one, but his year I can't cross reference due to different thread size. Let me know what your running if you have. Thanks
Old 07-14-2016, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran one on my 07 Monte by accident once lol...didn't realize I could use two different ones until it was pointed out. My car isn't lowered but I didn't seem to have a problem with it
Old 07-19-2016, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

So I guess I had to answer my own question, short answer is no it wont work for me. The filter hangs just a little below the front cross member, for me it is not worth the chance as Connecticut roads are **** and loaded with potholes. Maybe if you live in the flats of Nebraska it would be fine. I also run neodymium magnets to the bottom of my oil filters so that extends it just a little farther(also use a magnetic oil drain plug). If there was something to really gain besides the small increase in oil filtration from the longer filter I be all on it. Hope this helps anyone who would consider this. On a side note this is on a GXP, it shouldn't matter but other cars in our LS4 community could see different results. FYI the ramps in the pic are the Rhino 16000 lbs and the GXP goes right up no rubbing

Old 07-19-2016, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the little bit of extra length would really be a problem. It's in the same spot as your wheels so going over bumps and whatnot won't hurt it. And the rock guard hangs down pretty low so I don't see anything flying up at it, but I guess there is still a possibility for that.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

It really is so close,but the damage that would result from a big dip in the road at a good speed or some sort of manhole cover would be severe most likely. My cross member has a few scrapes already so it must have occurred already at some point. For the gain I'm not going to risk it. Its possible one of the other cars could be different as they don't have Bilsteins, not sure of their spring rates as well.

Edit: Its also possible someone with new mounts could have better results, all my motor and transmission mounts are original and wont be changed until its time for that motor to come out. I hope someone else tries it, filter with a discount was about 8 bucks at Pep Boys. Most anyplace else in my area didn't stock it. Post back with a pic if you give it a try!

Last edited by rottonj; 07-19-2016 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Extended length oil filters for 07-09 only