LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

gas tank siphon

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gas tank siphon

Is there a simple way to siphon gas out of the tank in the GXP? I bought some hose tried to go through the filler neck but it hits something.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:48 PM
RKO
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red_Zone
Is there a simple way to siphon gas out of the tank in the GXP? I bought some hose tried to go through the filler neck but it hits something.
there is an anti siphon check ball in the tank, i emptied my tank by disconnecting the quick connect on top of the motor and jumping the fuel pump relay and let the pump pump it out into a can.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:52 PM
RKO
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RKO
there is an anti siphon check ball in the tank, i emptied my tank by disconnecting the quick connect on top of the motor and jumping the fuel pump relay and let the pump pump it out into a can.
one more thing, before disconnecting the quick connect on the fuel line, pull the fuel pump relay and try to start the motor. That will eliminate any residual pressure in line.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:47 PM
Launching!

the quick connect is the Black cap on the rail end closest to the driver side servicing the BACK 4 cylinders yes? If so... does it screw off? What is the release mechanism for this cap?

Do you know off hand which two pins I jump?
Old 09-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Hey buddy.
The screw off cap is a Schrader valve used to relieve fuel pressure.
What RKO is talking about is the actual connection from the fuel line to the fuel rail (you'll see there's a fitting).
You need a fuel line disconnect tool to remove it; get ready for a gigantic mess.

If you have something you don't want getting towards the motor though, I wouldn't do it this way. Perhaps disconnecting the fuel line under the car or something?
Old 09-04-2017, 08:51 AM
Launching!

One way then would be to remove this using the fuel line removal tool... then hook a tube up, jump pins 30 and 87 with ignition on and drain fuel...

The other way is use a Schrader valve removal tool here and do the same thing...

I guess since both ways require me to buy a tool no one way is better than the other... but ideally those schrader valve removal tools are CLEANER in the way that I can hook it up, remove the valve while keeping pressure in the fuel rail still. THIS WAY I do not have to run potentially bad fuel through my injectors into the cylinders in order to relieve fuel pressure first YES? Although my car has been off for almost a year maybe there is no pressure in the system at all anymore then right?

I should be able to remove the schrader valve in the schrader tools "test valve"... hooking fuel line up to that... then, just remove the fuel rails schrader valve and allow fuel to drain right out the tools test port. All done without releasing the lines fuel pressure. sounds right yes?

Last edited by Red_Zone; 09-04-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Is the goal here just to drain the tank completely and if so why? Why not pull the fuel pump, there is an access panel that makes it simple enough and if your car with all your mods still has the has the stock pump its a perfect time to upgrade. If the car has been sitting for a year its doubtful there is any pressure anywhere.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Launching!

I didn't put stabilizer in... and the car has went an entire fall, winter, spring, and now this summer without turning over.... I'm expecting the gas can't be that good anymore I was thinking of pulling it out and running it in my daily driver or going to the beach and light a huge *** fire one or the other.

The car has the Racetronix fuel pump rewire kit installed but to be honest I don't know if Kevin@cartuning replaced the pump with a better aftermarket one or not...

This trap door... I'm guessing I have to remove the back seat all together to get at it... BUT

Wouldn't you know... one side releases easy BUT the driver side won't release! PULLING PULLING... its likely rusted or something.

Any cleaver ideas how I can free it up?

Last edited by Red_Zone; 09-04-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

The back seats fold down, probably just pull back the carpet in the trunk. I would ask Cartuning first what was replaced as it may be unnecessary.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Drivers side just has a small finger pull, mine comes down easily so no idea. Access is probably easier from the trunk, the rear seats down just help with lighting. I havn't done it in these cars, just an older model.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:50 PM
Launching!

I finally got it by forcing a wrench in line with the lock mechanism the entire plastic lock mechanism seemed to be a few mm to much forward...

anyway... got the seat out... LOTS OF RUST.... trunk wing or something must have been leaking... no way I am getting the bolts out that hold the SEAT BACK bracket to the body... Guess my dream of having no backseat will have to remain a dream....

WHERE IS THE ACCESS DOOR LOL!!!!!!!?

no access door.

So I might as well then confirm that to get at a fuel pump in a grand prix GXP you MUST DROP THE TANK...

Did I just discover something unknown or?

Last edited by Red_Zone; 09-04-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

I guess it doesnt then,I know my 04 does but never really checked out the 08. Seems like a step in the wrong direction from GM. Back to other ideas I guess. I would just add fresh fuel and call it a day.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:09 PM
Launching!

I've come this far... I'm going to drain the fuel from the fuel rail Schrader valve... or from where the line connects to the rail whichever set of release tools I can get my hands on first.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Schrader valve tools are cheap, if you don't use it often don't spend a lot on one. Bike valve stem tools probably work as well. . I picked up this last year when working on an AC system.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7Pcs-Automot...72.m2749.l2649
Old 09-06-2017, 11:43 AM
Launching!

thanks everyone for the input everything went fine through the schrader valve.

Quick Reply: gas tank siphon