LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Noisy rockers, seemingly low oil pressure, leaking headgaskets

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy rockers, seemingly low oil pressure, leaking headgaskets

After several months, Today was the first start attempt on my LS4 project. The entire engine was apart, but the stock internals went back in, excepting a new Skoggins-dickey LS6 cam( their profile). New lifters, ( suspect they’re chinese). Rocker arm trunnion upgrade, LS6 springs, the block’ deck was true’d and the heads were barely resurfaced. Pushrods were checked, and measured out at ( if memory serves) at like 7.260. I added .060 to that for preload.

I added nothing more than the valley plate to block off the AFM, with its little gaskets sealing off the the factory AFM oilling ports
The head gaskets, ( are Chinese) the head studs, ( are Chinese)…

There’s a carburetor in this combo.

The car starts, ( hard to start) But when it does, the engine races up to 2000 rpm like there’s a vacuum leak, the throttle set screw is completely backed out, ( so there’s probably a vacuum leak). But the main issues are the leaking head gasket, and the noisy rockers….cold oil pressure maxes out @40 psi. ( I’d expect it to be double that cold)

But-before I just pull off the heads, commit to buying new domestic head gaskets, and new domestic lifter’s,….( Which i don’t have a problem doing)…..
Tell me….is this the fix?

Cause if it is, I’m fixing it.

Last edited by madmike1157; 09-18-2022 at 07:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Noisy rockers, seemingly low oil pressure, leaking headgaskets