LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

2005 Grand Prix GXP transmission cooler question / problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 Grand Prix GXP transmission cooler question / problem

I installed a Tru-Cool Max Transmission Cooler 40,000 GVW. I installed it stand alone bypassing the radiator. I plummed the cooler from the tranmission using 6an stainless braided lines.I noticed a rattle noise while in manual mode and only in 1st gear when i come to a stop and at idle once the transmission is warmed up. I thought maybe the transmission lines were possibly rubbing something but that was not the case. The 1 transmission line has a violent vibration and i am not sure why. Has anyone seen this before or have any idea what it might be.I am out of ideas and considering taking it to a transmission shop and have it checked out. When in drive mode everything is fine. I have not had this car very long and didn't really use the manual mode before putting on the cooler so not sure if vibration was present pre-transmission cooler.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.
Old 12-24-2023, 04:51 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a guess but is there any chance the new cooler/lines could have a restriction flow? Collapsed line, kinked hose, too small hose, inlet/outlet switched etc. Could cause hydraulic hammering in the lines. Only thing I can think of that it might be if the cooler was the only change and it didn't do it before. How hard would it be to hook the stock cooler back up long enough to check it out?
Old 12-24-2023, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the information, i appreciate it. I will try putting the old lines back on and see what happens.

Quick Reply: 2005 Grand Prix GXP transmission cooler question / problem