LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

***GXP Runs 13.6 @102.37***

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it probably has the edge on a road course due to weight. but braking and 1/4 mile goes to the srt8.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DriveATransAm
chrysler has sold half a million LX vehicles over the last 2 years. dunno about GM
Chrysler has sold 525,900 LX vehicles during calendar years 2004-2005 according to their website.

GM has sold 985,594 W-body vehicles during calendar years 2004-2005 according to GM's website.

GM definitely needs to emulate Chrysler.

Chrysler and GM have consistently ranked close in IQS with GM a point or so ahead (defects per 100 cars) in the most recent released survey. With specific brands, Cadillac and Buick have been fighting with Lexus for best brand. Chrysler/Dodge is not even in the hunt.

The truth is that I like RWD, but GM isn't producing it yet. The GXP I drive is as stylish (if not more so) than either the Charger or Magnum; the looks are truly in the eye of the beholder. The 300C does have a certain unique style that does set it apart. The driving and handling of the ***edit*** GXP puts in neck and neck with R/T versions of the platform (look at the stats).

Price wise, the GM vehicles hold a small advantage. Pontiac GP GXP loaded will sticker at around 33K. A loaded Magnum R/T is around 35K. I would also point out that the GXP does offer NAV, Sunroof, Stability/Traction control, dual auto climate control. It also offers a HUD which integrates the NAV into it quite nicely, something that is not offered on the LX platform.

As for interior layout, I prefer the GXP layout. Materials from either company are plastic and really are not something that either camp should be hanging their hat on.

The SRT series is a different ball game as far as performance. They are definitely a faster car that carries a 10K premium (if comparably equipped) over the GM cars. I guess we'll see what both companies are doing in a couple of years and see if a horsepower war breaks out.

BTW, the Magnum only sold 49,600 units last year. F-bodies were killed off with numbers better than that. So maybe F-body guys are the only ones buying Magnums....

Last edited by ChipC; 08-15-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:56 AM
TECH Junkie

nice post chipc. nice to see an openminded post for once.

btw, if you look at magnum numbers, they dropped considerably once the chargers came out.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Ehh...I'm just out to enjoy the cars, I can be just as closed minded sometimes.

I met a guy with a new Charger R/T the last time I was at the track. He was .4 slower than me N/A and .6 quicker with a 125 shot of nitrous. Nice guy and we had good time walking through the two cars. For whatever reason, it wasn't the dead heat I expected (at least without the nitrous).

It was interesting looking at the sales numbers. The auto press hype would have had a person believe that the LX platform was selling hand over fist more than the W platform from GM. I was really surprised that the 300C and Magnum sales for 2005 combined just about equaled the Impala sales of the same year.

I'm glad GM is going toward RWD, but their market share is being eaten by the Japanese/Korean cars which is mostly FWD. I am disappointed that it seems more buying decisions seem to be around aesthetics and less about the overall driving experience. That type of thought process leaves both you and me (and probably most of the people reading this now) out to some degree. I guess there is hope. One GM official has admitted that their interiors were shortchanged because projects ran out of funds. That is supposed to be addressed. I guess we'll see.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Laugh all you want but I have driven them both extensively on track and off. I don't rely on edmunds I rely on my own driving experiences and the experiences of my colleagues. The SRT8 Charger is too heavy to take the turns as fast as the GTO plus the 6 speed manual is an advantage. In the straight line the GTO is quicker although it doesn't have as much of an advantage it has on the road course. I am not saying the SRT is a bad car it is quite remarkable and I do enjoy every chance I get to drive one. I just prefer a GTO or a CTS-V based off of my experience. In fact all of the SRT vehicles are a blast to drive the most supprising being the Crossfire SRT6. The SRT6 has a great balance of power, handling, and braking. I wish GM would make the SS line as high performance as the SRT line but until the new rear wheel drive Impala SS comes in 08 or 09, I will stick with the FWD LS4 SS.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can't race magazine numbers.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

chipc- does it say how many of those W bodies are fleet vehicles? i imagine a lot went to police and rentacars.

some other things to consider-
1) its a dodge/chrylser. people are afraid to own them (for their notorious crappy quality). i didnt want one till i drove one. then it blew my mind away. their merge with benz was the turnaround for them. a good one.

2)the cars are a bit more pricy than their counterparts.

3)first year productions. they never seem that high i think.

once the charger was introduced (06 my), sales seem to really take off. although the magnum sales did suffer a bit. looks like they will hit 300K sales this year alone now that they are in full production of all 3 cars. seems like a good start to the platform.

- im not racing magazine numbers. thats the only info i can find comparing them other than real life quarter mile times- which the srt8s produce better numbers with. i already said the gto probably handles better due to weight. thats a no brainer!
Old 08-15-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chaman
Sure has hell the Mag turns way more heads then the TA. I was very surprised at this. The only funeral will be that of the few guys who think its just another station wagon....BTW what you drive jabronie??? anything worth mentioning or you just lurk in these boards day dreaming..???

Oh and I'm not hating on GM, see signature. I'm just stating what almost everyone in the performance world have said...GM is just loosing it, no contact whatsoever with current muscle car trends....

CTS-V??? are you serious?....nope still falls shorter.
Yeah the mag turns more heads, guys right? Great for you. You are just upset that GM can make so-so vehicles and sell more and are better quality than Chrysler and because you got a station wagon, i mean hearse instead of a Charger there chief. GM isn't loosing it. As you would say. Why are you even in this forum? Isn't there a Magscum forum you can join?

Old 08-15-2006, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

I'm trying to figure out how this thread about tony's gxp going 13.68, turned into a charger/magnum vs. ls4's and gto's. Can't we just end it, they like there lx vehicles, we like the our ls4's. The way I look at it, at least it aint a damn ricer.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

You got that right, but everybody likes to talk trash on the other guys car. Its nice to see the Chevy, Dodge, and Ford rivalries have not died.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jabronie78
Yeah the mag turns more heads, guys right? Great for you. You are just upset that GM can make so-so vehicles and sell more and are better quality than Chrysler and because you got a station wagon, i mean hearse instead of a Charger there chief. GM isn't loosing it. As you would say. Why are you even in this forum? Isn't there a Magscum forum you can join?

why are YOU here. ive had my ls1 before your ls4 or whatever was even created. ive been on this board since the beginning...like member 20. get a clue.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

chipc- does it say how many of those W bodies are fleet vehicles? i imagine a lot went to police and rentacars.

some other things to consider-
1) its a dodge/chrylser. people are afraid to own them (for their notorious crappy quality). i didnt want one till i drove one. then it blew my mind away. their merge with benz was the turnaround for them. a good one.

2)the cars are a bit more pricy than their counterparts.

3)first year productions. they never seem that high i think.

once the charger was introduced (06 my), sales seem to really take off. although the magnum sales did suffer a bit. looks like they will hit 300K sales this year alone now that they are in full production of all 3 cars. seems like a good start to the platform.

- im not racing magazine numbers. thats the only info i can find comparing them other than real life quarter mile times- which the srt8s produce better numbers with. i already said the gto probably handles better due to weight. thats a no brainer!
No, I did not see a break down on fleet/rental sales. I am sure that is somewhere, but wasn't readily available on either company's website. Frankly, I'm seeing a number of LX cars showing up in police fleets around here (mostly replacing Crown Vics). The 300's have definitely made their way into rental fleets.

I agree people have probably been hesistant because of the Pentastar association. While Benz brought some things to the table, quality doesn't seem to be one of them, at least if you look at it through the surveys. Of course experience should count for something, the minivans and Stratus do have top 3 IQS results in their respective categories.

You are right that first year production numbers can sometimes be low. However, the W body platform has been criticized for its age. I will grant you that the exterior styling has been updated and that obviously will have some impact. Traditionally, sales will taper as the platform ages.

I find it fun and exciting that the old Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, Chrysler arguments are happening again. It really has been a while since there was really anything to argue about. I drove an 07 Shelby GT500 the other day. The sounds and feelings (granted in varying extremes) that all of these vehicles cause makes me feel like we are in the 2nd golden age for muscle cars.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ChipC
I find it fun and exciting that the old Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, Chrysler arguments are happening again. It really has been a while since there was really anything to argue about. I drove an 07 Shelby GT500 the other day. The sounds and feelings (granted in varying extremes) that all of these vehicles cause makes me feel like we are in the 2nd golden age for muscle cars.
agreed appreciate your mature rebutles and you havent retorted to "your wagon looks like xxxxxx". i personally could care less what it looks like, it does the job i need it to- haul stuff, and does it very well
Old 08-16-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jabronie78

Frankly you have been entertaining with your poor car knowledge but you are out of place. There has been a nice debate going and you are starting to sound like the annoying kid in the plane, if you know what I mean. BTW look at your post count...what standing you have against us specially DriveATransAm?? Oh and nice defending statement about GM so-so cars....like the one you own!!!!

Go find a forum at www.pathetickindergartencarwannabe.com and enjoy yourself....
Old 08-16-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ChipC
Yeah man aint this great!! It was boring kicking those Mustangs butt all by ourselves!! Now Dodge have join in!!! The HP war has started again already. When the Challenger and the Camaro return face to face we are going to be witnesses of the new era of modern muscle...Im saving!!!! what about you???
Old 08-16-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

agreed appreciate your mature rebutles and you havent retorted to "your wagon looks like xxxxxx". i personally could care less what it looks like, it does the job i need it to- haul stuff, and does it very well
Well the way I see it...that guy has a severe case of ***** envy!! The wagon looks terrific!! It has been named the best looking wagon EVER. Im convinced it will be a collectible, specially the SRT8.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chaman
Hey Tony! some real piece you are huh buddy??

Theres no competition with the 6.1 and stock TBSS, and you know this. Yes start talking about modding the TBSS will get you there but guess what, start modding the HEMI 5.7...see where Im going??You talk so much **** about the turbo...BLAH, BLAH....Lets talk about turbo or SC SRT8 GC then and see where you stand..! Dont talk BS about mods because you know anything can be fast. Just a matter of money these days. Shame that some OCSRT8 guys stood up for you.

So they are overpriced but sell MORE...way MORE than GM....what a mistery huh??
You just twisted up what he said then you go and bash the guy on your SRT8 forum . If your going to make a statement then post it right . Speaking of a real piece have fun in that POS magnum it should be rattling like you T/A real soon .
Old 08-22-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

their just pissed because it takes them 400+ hp to run a 13 flat

wow, that sucks.

anywho, carry on with whose dick is bigger contest
Old 08-22-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Area47
their just pissed because it takes them 400+ hp to run a 13 flat

wow, that sucks.

anywho, carry on with whose dick is bigger contest
why would we be pissed? and i will bet anyone that my magnum does not sound like an f-body even at 50K miles.

i suggest all the ignorant folk go and drive one
Old 08-22-2006, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

why would we be pissed? and i will bet anyone that my magnum does not sound like an f-body even at 50K miles.

i suggest all the ignorant folk go and drive one

I did, and I liked the Monte better, though I had been partial to them as I already owned one..

Quick Reply: ***GXP Runs 13.6 @102.37***