LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

? for GXP owners who have owned RWD/Stick cars..

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ? for GXP owners who have owned RWD/Stick cars..

I usually enjoy driving sticks no matter if it is a FWD or RWD car. They are just more fun in my opinion.

Having driven my fathers '99 GTP and I owned a '01 Grand AM GT, I wasn't all that happy with the performance of either car or the fun of either car. I guess FWD and Automatics aren't my thing.

Is there a huge difference in driving say a F-body or GTO and this new GXP as far as fun goes?
Old 12-23-2005, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

I must say there is a huge difference in the shift performance on the GXP vs. my 03' Grand Prix GT. The GXP shifts like a perforamnce car should. The TAP feature is cool but could use a little more work to make it perfect. The GXP seems like it's always in the right gear. Up shifts are quick and smooth and the down shift are just as good. I have experienced virtually no torque steer. Suspension is nice and firm but rides comfortably. The only complaint as of now is I wish GM offered a 5 or 6 spd auto.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lightning Quick, for an auto, is how I would classify our trans, if you "pop" the paddle for an upshift under full throttle, shifts instantly..I was overly-impressed with it's operation, and in my opinion you only need 4 gears with this much torque, When I nail it it pulls continuously, non-stop, when you have too many gears, car seems to busy, IMO
Old 12-25-2005, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrgto
I usually enjoy driving sticks no matter if it is a FWD or RWD car. They are just more fun in my opinion.

Having driven my fathers '99 GTP and I owned a '01 Grand AM GT, I wasn't all that happy with the performance of either car or the fun of either car. I guess FWD and Automatics aren't my thing.

Is there a huge difference in driving say a F-body or GTO and this new GXP as far as fun goes?
I have a 2006 GXP and it is torquey and fast to drive around. I must say though, that front wheel drive and over 300 hp is not as pleasant as a rear wheel drive car. I still love it.

And yes, one of the biggest complaints of the magazine critics is the 4 speed transmission. It is not a race car, but it is a fast and satisfying sedan.

Last edited by SVTRocket; 12-25-2005 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with you on the manual being more fun. However, the GXP is the first automatic I've driven that I haven't really missed the manual. I think two things are the major contributors for this: 1) the massive amount of torque available at every point of the tach needle and 2) the extremely quick shifting of the trans.

I always seem to be in the gear I want with only the throttle being activated (no tap shift). Although the Tap Shift is fun at times, I'm mainly in drive.

Also, after a mag indicated this, I mostly disable traction control now as part of my "pre-flight" check list. I find this actually helps alot with "torque steer" as the traction control agrevates this and it's much better without.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:59 PM
Teching In

I had an 04 GP GT and it was a nice car but I got real lucky getting a good lease deal on a 05 CTS-V. I couldn't have a better car but am thinking about my next one. The LS6 is a badass engine and has so much power at higher speeds. Do any of you have any experience to compare what a GXP auto may be like compared to a 6sp V8? Anyone have a GTO or other sports car that can offer up any comments? If a GXP can can get high 13s that is fast. I have no idea what I can get but I can't get very good traction and the wheel hop sucks but the V is just a blast to drive. I'm sure I would love a GXP and like how they look. I need a sedan because I am expecting a second boy in less than 2 months.
Another question, do the GXPs have many issues because the V has plently and my caddy dealer sucks so I'm not interested another car that requires many trips to the dealer. I know every car is different but I bet the GXP is a real nice car.
I would love a TB SS so that may be my other option but prefer the MPG of the GXP since I drive 85 miles a day minimun.
How's the DOD, do you guys like it?
Thanks, Ryan
Old 01-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Really no issues with the GP. Seems to be a well constructed car with no defects that I can find. The DOD (on mine at least) performs well and you can't even tell when it kicks in or out. As far as fuel mileage is concerned - well, let's say low 20's at best so far. Maybe it will get better with some miles on the clock.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

It took me awhile (almost the whole post) to figure out why you'd be looking at a GXP with V in the stable Apparently, I'm a little slow sometimes.

Anyway, I have a Firehawk '96, LT1. It has just over 300 hp from the factory and is a six speed. That's the car I take to the road courses. I don't think there is really anything that is as much fun as a manual but seeing as I am using the GXP as a daily driver, I enjoy it tremendously. It is not rear wheel drive , but is still fun to drive and doesn't make me miss the 'hawk all that much.

I think I posted this in another thread somewhere, but what's great is when you're on the x-way and a gap opens up you can take it no problem. Even if the person tries to speed up, you're there before they can do anything about it (I HATE that). Also, it has enough power that you can take most of the other cars on the road (seeing as most are camords anyway).

Regardless, it's perfectly tractable as a daily driver. You can get 1/4-1/3 into the throttle (decent acceleration still better than most cars) and drive 1/2 awake to and from work without any problems. But then, when the road opens up and you want some fun, you can have it.

Of course, as I said, the negative is that's a front drive. This, like all other front drives magnifies the steering effect caused by the crown in the road. Other than that, it doesn't have much torque steer and it a blast to drive. I imagine it will perform alittle less in almost every catagory as the V. You'll need to drive one to make sure you won't be dissappointed stepping down. But honestly, I can't really think of another car in its price range I would want right now. (I know the Hemi's are comparable based on MSRP, but not in real world prices and I don't like the dodge's look that much).

Sorry for the book, you asked...
Old 01-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Oh, sorry the point was problems. No, haven't had any to speak of other than a rattle in the overhead that I haven't taken it in for yet.

And DOD- I don't notice it at all. I see the instant fuel economy suddenly jump up but I don't feel anything. Some people claim to feel the DOD "kick off" when on the x-way but I have heard it is most likely the electronic throttle body as others without DOD also complain of this.

Oh, and I would not expect gas mileage to be much different between the TB SS and the GP GXP. Real world numbers seem to be about equal. The TB SS seems to be hitting low 14s (I haven't seen one post a sub 14 stock). Tuned, well then the SS is getting mid 13s. Stock GXPs seem to be 14 and lower stock. Tuned? Well, we all have to wait and see about that but tuning seems to get an extra 20 hp so far and firms shifts so less lag time. It'll be interesting...

Last edited by GXP Lover; 01-25-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:55 PM
Teching In

I love my V and know it practically has to be the best GM car out with all things considered. With the right driver it will take any TB or GXP but I just thought I would ask a few Qs. I just got done reading about Tony's move (GP forum) fromt he GXP to the TB SS and it seems as though he loves it and is very happy. That makes my decision a little tougher as I was leaning towards a GXP. If I get either one they are both great. I would get the SS tuned if I got it.
My dad is a GM retiree so every vehicle I get is a PEP and my V is a PEP4 so I got a smokin deal. There are over 100 GXPs available right now and no SSs but I also just picked up my V this past May for 2 yrs. I have to keep it a year and plan to keep it through the summer but that will make it more difficult to have someone assume my lease for such a short period. Hopefully one of these two cars will be in the system for me to tag when I'm ready.
I was also a bit suprised to see that TonyGXP bought a 2WD and it seems a bit faster than an AWD but we will see. I love fishtailing around corners so I would hate the AWD. We don't get that much snow where the 2WD would be a problem and my theory with the V is that I just won't go to work if it is that bad. I drive 40 miles each way from Macomb to Dearborn.
I know exactly what you mean when you are driving anywhere and you want to blow by just about anyone at any speed with the 6sp. This LS6 pulls so hard, at 30, 80 or 110 it just keeps pulling. I drive it hard because it's so much fun but the warranty issues and dealer have not made those times much fun at all. I can look past that when I consider the price I pay for it and when I smile all the time. I put a B&B exhaust on it and it sounds mean now. It wasn't bad stock but it rumbles at idle now. That is one thing I would like about the SS over the GXP but I don't really care.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and only time will tell howlife goes. I need to stay ticket free to keep a fast car because I love speed and I have been fortunate so far.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

It sounds like you have some time before a final decision needs to be made so I'd find a day were I'd go test drive a GXP and another, or the same, day and drive the TB SS. That way you'll at least have a good understanding of both b/f you have to buy.

As far as the dealer goes, can't you go to another? I'm in Plymouth and have heard good things about Don Massey, but that's out of the way for you.

As far as Tony goes, he gets a little excited, so I'd take it with a grain of salt. When he first got his 13.6, he went to several other boards and was posting how slow their cars were and egging them on (Chargers and the like). It was actually very funny. He's definately fun to have around for stirring things up and he's very opinionated, which is fun and doesn't care who he offends (again can be fun). The TB AWD gets more traction so it gets the launch but the RWD has less mass to move and has more hp due to less parasitic loss (not driving the front wheels).

Anyway, had I the option you have, I'd try to keep the CTS. I have a friend with a track prep'd Vette and he took out my Firehawk and a CTS-V. He said the V was the easiest to learn and drive fast (think forgiving and easy to determine it's limits).
Old 01-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Teching In

I have plenty of time and yes Plymouth is out of my way. I plan to get all my items together to hit a good dealer and hope they can take care of everything at once. I will have to rid with the dealer to make sure they know what I am talking about.

I connected with a guy a mile down the road with the guy who does the Vector tunes for the TB SS so hopefully we can meet in the next month or so.

I do love my V and it's a great family car because my wife and soon to be two kids will fit with plenty of trunk space. The GXP and SS have lots of space too so I can't lose. I just may have to hit the dealer to check out a GXP since I will be able to get a ride in a SS nearby.

Maybe I will see you on the road some time. I will keep my out for your color. I love that color too. I have a black/black V like most on the road but there just aren't many out there anyway. I have been looking for Vs, GXPs, & SSs and they are pretty rare even in Detroit.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

i have both a gto and a gtp. Both are auto's however i had a six speed 2000 trans am a few years ago and all are fun to drive in my opinion.

The gtp is sick with upgraded springs and swaybars. It is probably my best handling car. due to the upgrades. a little hp tuner magic and the shifting of the 4t65e can be amazing. Its real easy to put these cars into drag racing mode and back to normal again. with the right supsension parts its not hard to get a rwd feel out of these car. Well as close to a feel as you can get with all the weight up front.

The gto has near 50/50 weight distribution and irs. this car is like a bmw its very fun to drive when pushed it handles itself with composure always and it handles with ease. There are no surprises with how the gto is going to handle in a turn.

The six speed ta well i had hals and drag racing stuff but when my sway bar was on it handle ok for the most part. the six speed made it fun reaching for the next gear but all in all even with the hals on firm my gtp out hanlded it and so does the gto. But as i said the car wasn't set up for autocrossing
Old 01-31-2006, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2005CTSV
I connected with a guy a mile down the road with the guy who does the Vector tunes for the TB SS so hopefully we can meet in the next month or so.

Maybe I will see you on the road some time. I will keep my out for your color. I love that color too. I have a black/black V like most on the road but there just aren't many out there anyway. I have been looking for Vs, GXPs, & SSs and they are pretty rare even in Detroit.
I'll also be heading up to see Chris in the near future. Most likely this week (first week of Feb.) so if you're interested, maybe you can meet on the same day. I don't know what you're planning to do with Vector. That way you'd be able to take mine for a spin...
Old 01-31-2006, 07:51 PM
Teching In

If you don't mind, please let me know when you see him as I would love to go for a short spin stock and then with a tune.
I just wanted to check out an SS in person and talk to someone about it rather than just a dealer. I saw one a blue SS as I was pulling off of Card yesterday morning on to Hall Rd. I saw a black SS recently too and it may have been the same day on 94 going West by 12 Mile.

I want to hear one too. As I recall you have a GXP so this way I may be able to check out the GXP, SS, and see how they compare to my V. I will bet the SSs are awesome and for me to have a potential mod for a $400 that my wife can't bitch about is great since the exhaust on my V is a bit loud. I'm just planning for life after our V and Tahoe. We want to get the 07 Tahoe but the lease prices are a bit high right now. The Tahoe lease is up in August and V in 16 months.

Again, if you don't mind let me know when you are headed to see Chris. He said he is at 23 & Card and I am at 22 & off of Card.
Thanks, Ryan
Old 02-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

2005CTSV-
Pm'd you. Probably meet up with Chris tomorrow (Thursday, 2-Feb-06) at the dyno shop.