LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

oil suckage

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil suckage

anyone taken their car's in to a gm dealer to find out what the hell is going on? if there is a pcv fix for it? or new motors? oooooorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 10-30-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Someone said that the LSx motors are notorious for oil consumption and that the consumption in the LS4 is well within GM's "acceptable" levels.

In other words, they aren't going to do a damn thing about it.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Someone said that the LSx motors are notorious for oil consumption and that the consumption in the LS4 is well within GM's "acceptable" levels.

In other words, they aren't going to do a damn thing about it.
exactly, just get used to it, there's nothing wrong until you start losing more than a quart every 3000 miles
Old 10-30-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IT's a problem with the PVC system. Most LS1 guys swap over to the LS6 one and use a catch can.

It's been an ongoing issues.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Richiec77
IT's a problem with the PVC system. Most LS1 guys swap over to the LS6 one and use a catch can.

It's been an ongoing issues.
Sure beats the hell out of the TBI and carb'd 350's of old, with the "umbrella" valve seals that a GOOD one would ONLY go through a quart in 3000 miles! The 305 in my Caprice is right about there...

Mike
Old 10-31-2006, 07:18 AM
Launching!

You can always look as the oil blow by as positive... it is upper cylinder lubrication. lol
Old 10-31-2006, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

Cylinder lubrication... unfortunately I'm hearing it also causes knock.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Document ID# 1748557
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Oil Consumption or Oil Found in Intake Manifold - keywords body cover leak rocker throttle #PIP3489A - (01/05/2006)

Models: 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP

Equipped with a 5.3 LS4 engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Engine oil consumption and oil puddling found in the throttle body or intake manifold area.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If a customer concern of oil consumption has been verified (more then 1 quart of oil in 2000 miles), the throttle body and the intake manifold should be inspected for excessive oil puddling. If there are signs of oil puddling in the intake area, remove the right rocker cover for inspection.

Inspect the right rocker cover PCV baffle drain back slots and the PCV baffle drain back hole. There are two drain slots at the bottom of the PCV rocker cover baffle and a drain hole located at the front (located towards the front of the engine when the rocker cover is installed) of the PCV baffle. The PCV baffle is sealed to the rocker cover with RTV. The drain back slots or the drain back hole may be blocked with RTV sealer. If the PCV drain slots or drain hole are blocked with RTV, the right rocker cover will need to be replaced. Evaluate oil consumption after replacing the right rocker cover.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1748557
2005 Pontiac Grand Prix
Old 10-31-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

hmmmm, kick ***
looks like im tearing a lot of stuff apart this weekend
Old 10-31-2006, 11:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

no problems here... interesting...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 10-31-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

The bulletin did not apply to 06 cars (Pontiac or Chevy) for some reason. If I had more time I would look up valve cover part no.s....and see if there are any part no differences etc between 05 and 06.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Whew!!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 10-31-2006, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

I haven't noticed any oil usage on my car..... yet.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yeah, when I made my original post, I didn't realize it was for '05 Pontiac's only...

again - WHEW!!

Old 10-31-2006, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by N4cer
lol Yeah i was just being sacastic. Oil doesn't lubricate well when its being burned.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Question

Hello all First of I'm new here and found this sight very helpfull ! I was thinking about this oil consumption thing . how likely would it be that this excessive oil consumption has to do with the DOD function? If the cylinders that are deactivated are still tying to draw air and fuel in and the intake valve is closed wouldn't that create a high amount of vacuum in the cylinder? If it does then it would try to draw air past the piston rings kinda like blowby. This air is directly off of the crankcase. Seems totally possible to me but i'm new to the LS motors . Oh yeah not to change the subject but. . . . . I just picked up an LS4 and plan on swapping it into my 85 fiero GT .
Old 10-31-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by N4cer
ding ding ding!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by FIEROPHREK
I just picked up an LS4 and plan on swapping it into my 85 fiero GT .
yeah, good luck with that

the LS4 is about half the size of the Fiero nevermind fitting INSIDE it

and even if you're able to get it in there, it'll shake/rattle that thing apart...

those cars were throw-aways... I know, I had one... junk...

Old 10-31-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is a cause for Detonation due to burning oil in a combustion chamber causes carbon build-up. That carbon build-up become hot spots in the combustion chamber.

Best bet is to see if a LS6 Valley cover fits. This lessens the amount of oil that comes out of the PVC system. It basically moves the PVC from the valve covers to the valley.

Then add a catch-can. It will catch the excess oil that comes from the PVC system. You still loose oil, but it's caught in the catch-can and isn't burned in the combustion chamber or is coating the inside of the intake and intake ports.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
yeah, good luck with that

the LS4 is about half the size of the Fiero nevermind fitting INSIDE it

and even if you're able to get it in there, it'll shake/rattle that thing apart...

those cars were throw-aways... I know, I had one... junk...
Don't laugh. . . . the 4.9L cadillac swap was common for fieros. I had an old cadillac with the 4.9L and I learned a lot about performance from some of those fiero guys. I think the 5.3 might actually be a little smaller in overall dimensions than that 4.9 in the caddy. At least it appears that way.