LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Diablosport Predators...time to update!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by live2ride
Thanks for the explanation.

I can’t really tell when it goes into 4 cylinder mode before or after the tune, except for the sound change.

Before the Diablo Tune, except for the slight sound change and slight RPM change, I could not feel the transition into 8 cylinder mode. After the tune, I definitely can tell by the seat of my pants when going 4 to 8. I’m hoping there is something that can be done to save the power tune with DoD enabled, but stop the felt surge.
if they do a small percentage of etm back into the motor, it will stop the surge. you can't feel mine, and i have a over tuned ecm from westers/tunetime. but the same thing still applies regardless of who is tuning it
Old 11-17-2006, 07:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I restored the original backup last night.

I wanted to attempt to log live data from the stock tune and then compare it to a log of live data from the Diablo tune. My download of the log had issues yet again I was able to view it using the Data Viewer, just not save it.

I drove the same way I had with the performance tune and observed one interesting thing. The DoD engaged easier and stayed longer with the Diablo tune. The DoD switch from 4 to 8 was seamless with the stock tune but happened with much sooner.

Once I saw the pattern I kept repeating it to make sure I wasn’t insane, then again my wife would probably say I was for spending so much time playing with this stuff.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Once I saw the pattern I kept repeating it to make sure I wasn’t insane, then again my wife would probably say I was for spending so much time playing with this stuff.
Sure dude, all wives think we're insane for playing with our cars instead of working on their "honey-do" lists.

Boys, boys, boys ... there's NOTHING wrong with doing something that makes you happy. Save a little for yourself - ENJOY LIFE!!!
Old 11-19-2006, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

Don't forget buying something for her that she loves, just because. Then you will be fine

Old 11-20-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by yuimyt
Don't forget buying something for her that she loves, just because. Then you will be fine
Oh, I know. I've been married for a long time. The bottom line, as the years add up, the length of time of appeasement shortens regardless of the gift. So far, the laptop has far exceeded most all the jewelry (only likes real stones and gold) I’ve gotten her. She's worth it.

Now back to the subject. I'm waiting for Diablo (Johan) to reply to my email regarding sugre with the 8r04 tune, from late Thursday afternoon. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried loading the Factory Tune from Diablo? I did and played with the spark advance only. I only adjusted the WOT advance for mid and upper range (+2 to +5) to see the effect on the live data log. I left the low advance alone. In every case the DoD surge issue was present. Makes me wonder what their factory tune was created from? I haven’t had time to reset the parameters of the factory tune, but wonder if anyone else had used it and experienced the surge with that as well. I loaded the 93 tune with out the DoD on Saturday evening. The car felt really good.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Area47
the surge is the lack of torque managment in the engine.
nothing more, nothing less.
Same thing I said...only simpler...
Old 11-21-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
Same thing I said...only simpler...
I still have not heard back from Johan. I guess I would have assumed that the factory tune they provided for users to update, would have been just that and not one that had already been tweaked w / TQ MGMT.

Oh well, I'll keep it stock for the time being until they can offer some working solution or at least reply to my email.

Thanks for everyones input and also the link to the artical explaining the inner workings of DoD. The changes to the muffler was an interesting feature to the DoD operation.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you want a true tune, you have to call someone who can do it. not a plug and play deal. that won't happen.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Area47
if you want a true tune, you have to call someone who can do it. not a plug and play deal. that won't happen.
I know a custom tune is the only way to get the max out of it. I guess I'm expecting more than perhaps I should. The non DoD tune did fell much better than stock, but I want the DoD feature with out the surge as well.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know a custom tune is the only way to get the max out of it. I guess I'm expecting more than perhaps I should. The non DoD tune did fell much better than stock, but I want the DoD feature with out the surge as well.
get hp tuners, or efi live. and come see me

or call westers, or vector.

if you call westers, you get the street map that i have in my gxp
if you call vector? umm, no idea honestly.

if you want to keep it simple, the plug n play method works too. but you have to keep in mind, it will be a mass production piece
Old 11-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Teching In

I just installed the diablo tune w/o DOD. The surge was noticable however not unbearable. the performance gains were great. I am happy with the performance.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joeilesGXP
I just installed the diablo tune w/o DOD. The surge was noticable however not unbearable. the performance gains were great. I am happy with the performance.
Did you mean with the DoD? Was that the Diablo (93 octane) tune? What version? I could probably learn to live with it, but I’d prefer not to as I mentioned earlier most of my normal local travels have me at speeds between 35-50. I found that the changes in grade caused the DoD to go in and out. 8 to 4 is sweet. The 4 to 8 surge gets on my nerves. I may look into other brands but have already spent the money and want to give them a chance. If I wasn't such a cheap ba$tard, I'd leave the Diablo no DoD tune installed. That tune felt really good.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright ...

I'm too busy to mess around constantly w/ my car's computer. I want a hand-held, want a 93 power tune w/ no DoD.

Anyone using that tune? You like it? Gas milage? Should be no surge, right?

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2006, 05:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac
Alright ...

I'm too busy to mess around constantly w/ my car's computer. I want a hand-held, want a 93 power tune w/ no DoD.

Anyone using that tune? You like it? Gas milage? Should be no surge, right?

Thanks!
I tried the 93 no DoD tune for a short time and it felt great but I have no hard numbers. I also have no idea on the MPG. The was no surge since it stays in 8 cyl mode.

I did some reading of the many Q&A posts on Diablo's site. One indicated that the computer fuel usage would not be correct due to the many parameters changed with the tunes and manual calculation would be the only way to get an accurate reading.

I also read one that said that the Factory HP Tune option is the base factory tune that you can change some parameters. If that statement is true then the factory base tune they use also has the DoD surge issue. I tried that tune only adjusting +2%-+5% WOT spark advance to see the live data results and had the same surge as the 93 w/DoD tune. The data log I viewed was also completely different than the original stock tune on the car.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received an email from Johan at Diablo Sports. He is not aware of anyone else having the surge since the latest releases came out. I'm sending my original tune for his review. If anyone else still has the surge issue since the 8r02 update, you may want to contact Diablo. I'm hoping that it's just not me and joeilesGXP who still have the surge. He was also surprised the Factory Tune has it his comment was: "And why the factory tune surges is very strange as we do not modify anything when loading it.
"

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Did you mean with the DoD? Was that the Diablo (93 octane) tune? What version? I could probably learn to live with it, but I’d prefer not to as I mentioned earlier most of my normal local travels have me at speeds between 35-50. I found that the changes in grade caused the DoD to go in and out. 8 to 4 is sweet. The 4 to 8 surge gets on my nerves. I may look into other brands but have already spent the money and want to give them a chance. If I wasn't such a cheap ba$tard, I'd leave the Diablo no DoD tune installed. That tune felt really good.
i have the diablo 93 octane tune with the dod turned off. the most aggressive tune it offers. I am operating on the most recent update the one on the diablesport website. and I will tell you I am not having any serious surging issues with it. for your info. I have CAI, MAF and Hogan down pipe with hi flow cat.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Teching In

the surge I am feeling is very slight. unlike some of the other quotes it is really not a problem at all.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joeilesGXP
i have the diablo 93 octane tune with the dod turned off. the most aggressive tune it offers. I am operating on the most recent update the one on the diablesport website. and I will tell you I am not having any serious surging issues with it. for your info. I have CAI, MAF and Hogan down pipe with hi flow cat.
I didn't notice a surge issue with that tune either. I really liked the non DOD tune also, but want the DoD enabled. The 93 with DoD has it, at least with my car. Johan sent me a tune to try. I'll load it tomorrow when it stops raining.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I tried the 93 no DoD tune for a short time and it felt great but I have no hard numbers. I also have no idea on the MPG. The was no surge since it stays in 8 cyl mode.

I did some reading of the many Q&A posts on Diablo's site. One indicated that the computer fuel usage would not be correct due to the many parameters changed with the tunes and manual calculation would be the only way to get an accurate reading.

I also read one that said that the Factory HP Tune option is the base factory tune that you can change some parameters. If that statement is true then the factory base tune they use also has the DoD surge issue. I tried that tune only adjusting +2%-+5% WOT spark advance to see the live data results and had the same surge as the 93 w/DoD tune. The data log I viewed was also completely different than the original stock tune on the car.
Appreciate the feedback Bill! Pretty much sold on the hand-held with the 93 / no DoD tune for the MCSS.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Any updates regarding communication with the TCM???

Quick Reply: Diablosport Predators...time to update!