Default tranny issue fix

clean your mas air.

5 bucks
electronic parts cleaner

call it a day
Old 11-27-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What tranny issue? I've read that the excessive use of air filter oil can cause the MAF to read wrong, but what are the common symptoms of an MAF in need of a good cleaning?
Old 11-27-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

These things arent like 98 F bodys where the tranny shift pressure was affected by the mass air...

Ive cleaned mine, took the screen out and put the stock air box back in last week... Still shifts the same. It actualy feels faster than the cone filter setup.

This thing was like my colorado too... It's fastest after computer flash and likes slightly positive LTFT's vs my Camaro which is a turd after a reflash and runs best at -6 LTFTS... Makingthe monte keep + 5 trims all time now has maintained the snottyness it has after a reflash... Odd.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

problem is this.
lagging shifts, mainly on the 1-2 shift. it would feel like it's slipping, then suddenly bang into gear and break the tires loose. not a good thing.

took the mas air off friday night after work. sprayed it down, put it back in. went out on tested it. blamo. normal shifts again.

this ALSO messes with the a/f ratio and a couple other things. so if you have a k&n filter of ANY kind on your car. go buy the electronic parts cleaner. hose it down every 2 months. everything will be fine.

make sure it is bone dry before you put it back on. or else it might fry something kind of important
Old 11-27-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol But the maf has no affect on the shifting in these cars... It must be mental shift improvments i guess.

The trims will go slightly + if the maf cross wires have a 5'o clock shadow on them... nothing to make a night/day diff, unless of course the cross hairs are sopped with oil.

This idea of yours is the 3rd time you left me scratching my head. First time was physically cutting the IAT sensor wires and relocating the IAT from the maf to where ever... when you have HP Tuners and you could have just zeroed out the affects of the IAT? Then saying how much of a POS the car is.... Now this?

OK im getting off my soap box now, someone else can hop up here if they want.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADDLS1SS
Lol But the maf has no affect on the shifting in these cars... It must be mental shift improvments i guess.

The trims will go slightly + if the maf cross wires have a 5'o clock shadow on them... nothing to make a night/day diff, unless of course the cross hairs are sopped with oil.

This idea of yours is the 3rd time you left me scratching my head. First time was physically cutting the IAT sensor wires and relocating the IAT from the maf to where ever... when you have HP Tuners and you could have just zeroed out the affects of the IAT? Then saying how much of a POS the car is.... Now this?

OK im getting off my soap box now, someone else can hop up here if they want.
the mas air does have some control over the tranny. poke through a gm tsb, i didn't believe it either. amd 4 tech friends of mine for gm, kept asking if i cleaned it. hell the two people who did the tune on my ecm asked me if i cleaned it. it does the same thing on the tbss. give it sometime with the k&n filter on it. it will feel like it's slipping. even you mentioned that it slips then suddenly grabs.
you might think im crazy. but when i have 6 people telling me the same thing that have never met, and are all over the country. they might be onto something.

BTW, zeroing out the iat tables is a bad idea. giving it a true reading is a better way of doing it.

if it was such a good idea to zero it out, people in the tbss and gto world would have done this and never looked back.

i will say this, you and i are the only people i can see actually doing **** to these cars, while everyone else sits back and watches. afraid to do something.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

Aww shoot, just get a 250 shot of nitrous, that'll fix it. Kinda perplexed with the MAF having bearing on the tranny shifts unless having a gunked up with ricer oil MAF sensor somehow botches the calculated torque values in the PCM in turn botching the shift pressures, hmmm. I'd think you would be noticing bigger issues if that was the case however. You say your 1-2 shift lags, are you sure it isnt the TM doing this? Stock the car takes its time cutting timing (to +10 ATDC ), shifting, then putting the timing back when it gets around to it. You got your TM adjusted? You are still running some TM, right? Beyond around 50% removed the tranny slips a bit post shift until it grabs right, maybe your clutches are toast?
Old 11-28-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4
Aww shoot, just get a 250 shot of nitrous, that'll fix it. Kinda perplexed with the MAF having bearing on the tranny shifts unless having a gunked up with ricer oil MAF sensor somehow botches the calculated torque values in the PCM in turn botching the shift pressures, hmmm. I'd think you would be noticing bigger issues if that was the case however. You say your 1-2 shift lags, are you sure it isnt the TM doing this? Stock the car takes its time cutting timing (to +10 ATDC ), shifting, then putting the timing back when it gets around to it. You got your TM adjusted? You are still running some TM, right? Beyond around 50% removed the tranny slips a bit post shift until it grabs right, maybe your clutches are toast?
there is some TM in the car. not much has been removed actually.

you might think im brain dead on this. but spending 5 mins to clean the mas air, when the tranny temp drops 10 degrees, and the air/humidity/pressure has not changed, and suddenly it shifts a lot better, smoother and faster.

i have nothing to make up on this.
clutches are fine {as far as i know, i haven't dropped the pan, then again, i don't have a reason too}

this was a full blown shift lllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggg, BAM tires break loose in the 1-2 shift.
now, it shifts a lot better.

you can think im nuts. but just keep this in the back of your head for a while. one day you might try it and be suprised.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol i have never had mine ever come close to banging the tires loose on the 1-2 shift... It merely just hits firmly and drops rpms instantly and moves on. That is with shift pressures jacked and TM on the 1-2 setto 40% reduction. I see -12 timing right at the shift on the scanner. The 2-3 with no TM is slightly brutal but i rarely ever take up past 85 to get a shift into 3rd at WOT anyway.

Only sometimes it will kinda shutter when it shifts the 1-2, but i cant do anything more to make it clamp harder through the computer, it would be shift kit time to solve that.

Sideways, that makes an excellent point about the innacurate torque calculation affecting the tranny via a improper maf reading. I have never throught of it that way.

So im assuming you are SPRAYING through the shift to get a 1-2 bark? Just the thought of spraying any stock auto through any gear makes wanna puke. Window switches are your freind so that it cuts the juice right before the shift.

It been my finding with my Camaro on a 200 shot, i picked up .4 thents just by shifting at 5800 vs 7,000 when spraying. And that is with a HUGE high rpm cam, where its a turd if you dont wind it to 7K on motor. No bennefit to even spraying anywhere near 6 grand, just wasting spray and not going any quicker.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

the bottle has been off the car for a month or so now.
it would break the tires loose on the motor on the 1-2 shift. not anymore after the cute lil spray cleaner stuff.

i didn't spray through the 1-2 shift, i did on the 2-3 shift.

dunno, i have my fun with the bottle. got bored with it. just doin bolt ons and going for 300 whp on motor.