LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

< 3000 on LS4 and it's 1 quart low.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006 | 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

Default < 3000 on LS4 and it's 1 quart low.

Is this normal? I wasn't to happy to discover it. Anyone else have this issue? There are no leaks on the garage floor either.
Old 12-17-2006 | 05:55 PM
TECH Regular

I just change my oil little over 6,000 miles since last one and it was about a quart and a half low.
Old 12-17-2006 | 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Thats another question... it says 50% oil life remaining. Does it say to change it every 6000? I know, I need to read the owners manual. But the oil looks pretty dark.. I think 3000 would be better. And anyone switch to full synthetic?
Old 12-17-2006 | 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2007 Imp SS

Changed my oil at 2700 miles (today actually), it was about .about a half a quart low. Also came to find out the hard way that the 07 uses a different filter than the 06. . . silly GM.

I switched to Mobil One, I plan on changing my oil and filter every 5000 miles.

-Ed
Old 12-17-2006 | 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

I changed mine at 3k miles and was over 1qt low. I filled with Mobil1 and have 6800 mi on it now... still full on the dipstick.
Old 12-17-2006 | 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

I changed mine at 1500 miles then at 6000 miles using Royal Purple synthetic and a K&N oil filter. I check the oil every month and never noticed it being low.
Old 12-17-2006 | 09:48 PM
Teching In

Heres a story for you guys. I have always changes my oil every 3000 miles and its foolish not to I went by the "oil life monitor" one time and had about 4300 miles on the Royal Purple Synthetic and as I"m driving one day across the DIC it said check engine oil, oil level low. I was 1 mile from the dealership and I stoped in and I was 1 and a half quarts low. The dealership told me not to go by the monitor and to change every 3000 the way people have been doing it for decades. Pretty much if it isnt broke dont try to fix it. It doesnt matter what the monitor sayd their is still over 3000miles on the oil and by then the oil has already broken down and every car burns a little. Since then Im not gonna be a cheap skate and I rather spend a few extra bucks and change my oil more. PLus the filters arnt strong enough to last longer than 3000.
Old 12-17-2006 | 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is where you are mistaken, today's oils are not broken down at 3000 miles, especially synthetics. You would be much better off changing at 30% or so at the oil life monitor, it's actually pretty close to what it needs to be changed at.
Old 12-17-2006 | 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

No.... not every engine uses oil at that point. If the car is "using" oil there is a leak somewhere or else it is getting burned up somwhere inside. My truck had over 50,000 miles on it and didnt burn a drop. My fiance's cavilier has over 120,000 miles and does not burn any oil. We ran them over 5000 miles on synthetic and it comes out clean every change.

But the seals might soak some in before the first oil change, but after that their shouldnt be any.

I have not changed the oil in my imp yet but if it is burning anything then i will be right in to the dealership having them fix what ever is wrong. I have about 500 more miles before i want to get it changed.

I will check my level tomorrow, 1150 miles on it now.

Last edited by Nikon02; 12-17-2006 at 10:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-17-2006 | 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

If you folks are talking about new motors burning oil, that's normal during break in. If you have under 10k on the motor, DO NOT switch to synthetic... unless you want to prevent the motor from EVER breaking in, and cause it to burn oil it's entire life.

New engines need dyno oil for break in (yeah, I can think of ONE exception to that too).

At 10k, switch to whatever oil you prefer.
Old 12-18-2006 | 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boodyrider
If you folks are talking about new motors burning oil, that's normal during break in. If you have under 10k on the motor, DO NOT switch to synthetic... unless you want to prevent the motor from EVER breaking in, and cause it to burn oil it's entire life.

New engines need dyno oil for break in (yeah, I can think of ONE exception to that too).

There are lots of theorys about this, but none of them have been proven true at all. So you think that Vettes, Porsche, and another other Mobil 1 factory filled cars are going to burn oil their entire life. If fact now VW and AUDI are switched to full synthetic for everything because of all of its benefits with fighting sludge. There are a lot of guys that switch to sythetic on the first oil change with no problem, if fact my last GM I did it with went 170K before I sold it. . . . .Mobil 1 from 1500 miles on. It wasn't burning a drop of oil.

Nikon,
If you read on many other forums these cars are bad about burning oil, there are lots of blames, but the biggest one seems to be a crappy PCV system.
Old 12-18-2006 | 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

It's common for the LSx engined to use oil without leaks. There's a thread about this already. I know of at least 10 members between here and clubGP that have said that they've been 1qt low at change time.

I'm 1qt low right now, too, and am at about 40% on the OLM.

The dealer says that it's well within normal oil loss range for these engines...likely a cop-out to keep from having to deal with it.
Old 12-18-2006 | 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

People... you can not guage a modern synthetic oils condition by color. They get dark very quickly. Synthetics do not break down but they do build contamination over time.

Time and time again oil analysis of syn oils at 6, 8, 10,000 miles shows that it has plenty of life left... not some guys opinion... but a scientific test.

I run amsoil 5w40 in my car and change it my my oil life monitor which works out to 6-9,000 depending on my driving style.

I do change it before I have an HPDE if I'm over 3000 miles b/c it will be seeing 270degree temps for extended periods.

Porsche and BMWs warranty their oil changed at 15k.
Old 12-18-2006 | 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Boodyrider

I switched to Royal Purple at 1500 miles and the LS4 doesn't use a drop. My SS has almost 9000 miles on it. It will get its 3rd oil change at 12k.
Old 12-19-2006 | 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

ok, here's the deal, and this topic has been posted and answered 1000+ times on this and many other boards

guess what? you drive a lsX v8, it burns oil, period, don't like it, buy another car

you can't compare it to other cars with other engines, they aren't designed the same way, the lsX consumes oil mainly because of the design of the pcv, and there are work-arounds if you feel like doing them

anyone switched to synthetic? better question is who hasn't, and are you stupid? aside from the few exceptions (i.e. leased car you don't care about), why wouldn't you use synthetic, it is superior in every way, and what is this breaking down at 3000 miles crap, this isn't the 1960's anymore, even regular oil lasts longer than 3000 miles

also, if anyone is going soley by the oil life monitor to tell them when to change the oil, please hand the keys to your car in at the local dealership because you don't deserve to own this car let alone any... it's an oil LIFE monitor NOT an oil LEVEL monitor... you could be 4 qts low and the oil that's left may still have 100% oil life, these things have nothing to do with each other

as per the 3000 miles, it's a personal preference thing, that's it, nothing else, with a good synthetic you can go 10,000+ miles if you aren't drag racing the whole time, just because you are low on oil doesn't mean you need an oil change, you can just add some more to fill it up, and guess what else? that's a good idea, you shouldn't drive around with low oil, so open up that thing called a hood, and under it there's this magical device called a dipstick, and it will tell you how much oil you have, if it's low fill it up!

color means squat for synthetics, they can make the oil any color they want, and it will change based on the formula, some change quickly, some will hardly ever change

oil filters can't last more than 3000 miles? when did that happen? i mean, garages used to tell you that you only had to change the filter every other oil change, it's silly to think that somehow at 3000 miles your oil filter knows it's time to fall apart, i would change the filter at least every 6000 miles, but i'm sure they can last WAY longer than that

i think i'm done my rant, and i don't mean to sould too much like an ***, but this topic has been discussed to no end, use the search tool, if you don't like the oil consumption then you need to find another car, that's what you get with an lsX
Old 12-19-2006 | 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^Exactly what I was thinking. . .I just didn't feel like saying it all. . . .so I will say once again. . .Let Dino oil go for 2500 miles... then switched to Mobil 1 + Filter every 5000 there after
Old 12-20-2006 | 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Jesus ****, who crapped in your hat?
No kidding the oil life monitor isn't a guage, try rereading my question. I asked when it was recommend to change the oil per the service manual and if it was 6,000 then who changes theirs when. It's called gathering and sharing information.

I'm not an expert on LSX engines and the fact that they use oil. I've never heard this anywhere and didn't assume that LSX engine burn oil. Apparently there are people out there with LSX engines that don't burn oil.. go figure!

So guess what, this is a forum and people ask questions, get used to it. If it bothers, then keep on clicking to the next topic.
Old 12-20-2006 | 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

simma down now. . .

Tony, I think most people have answered your question. A lot of people with LS4s burn oil, it is all over the forums; most GM small blocks do. I have never owned one that didn't burn a little.

My rules of thumb are:
3000 miles + filter on regular oil
5000 miles + filter on full synthetic

If it is low just keep the level up by adding oil, it is nothing to be concerened with unless it is excessive.
Old 12-21-2006 | 06:27 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

My rule of thumb is whatever the owners manual says for service intervals.

Both my 00 SS and 01 Z28 burned oil. Just the nature of the beast.
Old 12-21-2006 | 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

The manual says to change it when the monitor tells you to. That monitor may be somewhat accurate because I didn't drive my car for about a month and it dropped from 48% to 38% after a few miles of driving it. Oh well.