LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default shift kit

I just got my "shift kit" form zzperformance. Maybe I was being a little optimistic before opeining the box, but I was a little dissapointed to see 7 bushings (nylan at that) and a filter. Granted 29 bucks is worth the filter. I'm just a little leary of the nylon. I think the intense kit has brass or brass looking spacers (at lest some sort of metal). I was wondering if anybody has any input or experiance with the zzp kit. Or what all does the intense kit comes with. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

I used the ZZP kit on my 04, and yes that's all it came with (bushings, filter, and I got the Dex VI fluid also). It's been installed for the last 4 months and I love it. I had a 97 GTP that I used the Trans Go shift kit, I believe thats the same kit that Intense sells and yes the bushings where brass but alot of people had issues with the brass bushings not allowing the accumulator pistors to flex and causing them to scored (bent) and causing issues with the shifts. Mine did this same thing and when you would get on it from a dig or a slow roll and the car would be getting ready to hit the 1-2 shift, it wouldn't shift and the RPMs would just bounce around for a second or so, when the car did shift it was such a hard shift you would think that you were leaving you front suspension on the ground. So is it a little kit, yes. Is it worth it, without a doubt. This is one of the best bang for the bucks things around for our cars. As soon as the wife lets me start modding her car more then my GXP will deff. have the ZZP kit installed.
Tate
Old 01-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Teching In

I also installed the ZZP shift kit. I love it. No problems nice tight shifts and awsome forced down shifts. Install it you will love it.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Teching In

yea i just got my zzp kit too. im probly goin to put it in tomorrow. I got a question too. I remember when i changed my trans filter on my 00 monte i think the new filter came with a new plastic piece that mates the filter spout to the tranny. Taking it out chewed it the hell up so i put in the new one that came with the filter. The zzp kit didnt have one of theese included. So does that mean i wont need a new piece on this new transmition? then again its only got like 10k miles on it so i can probly just leave that piece stuck in there and not even dick with it. right?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default longevity

I'm not doubting that nylon ones work, but the trans guys here at work really don't reccomend putting the nylon spacers in due to longevity. Poss being heat soaked enough times and starting to chip away. I would have never thought of that but this is what I am hearing. At the same time, I don't know how long this trans will last anyway. I guess I am going to have to grow up and make my decision.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Side note, Makre sure to have a new fliter handy, my stock one cracked very easily trying to remove it from the trans case. Its just brittle plastic, kinda S.O.L. if you bust it an w/o one.

I agree on the plastic spacer deal... It just didnt settle well with me putting small plastic spacers in to limit piston travel and absolutley no spring size increase etc... It one of those things that works, but its kind of a sub for the right way IMHO, i.e. mickey mousing.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BADDLS1SS
Side note, Makre sure to have a new fliter handy, my stock one cracked very easily trying to remove it from the trans case. Its just brittle plastic, kinda S.O.L. if you bust it an w/o one.

I agree on the plastic spacer deal... It just didnt settle well with me putting small plastic spacers in to limit piston travel and absolutley no spring size increase etc... It one of those things that works, but its kind of a sub for the right way IMHO, i.e. mickey mousing.

The zzp kit comes with a filter also. I am contemplatng not sending it back just to keep the extra filter. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Teching In

well i got mine all installed. I do love it yes, definetly a 100 improvement over stock, but if i was to do it again ( or felt like tearing out my accumulator again ) i would go a little more agressive and put in a 3/4 in spacer on the 1-2 side unlike the 1/2 in. that was recomended. you only notice you have it in there when your romping on it anyways, i think so anyways. maybe with that setup you'll get a little chirp at WOT but just a little extra tug during normal driving.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've heard of problems with aftermarket trans pan gaskets leaking. Does one come with the kit or do you get one from the dealer?

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

The original/stock trans pan gasket is reuseable, ther shouldn't be a need for an after market gasket. I have not seen to many trans pan gaskets leak after reinstalled.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SILVER LS4
The original/stock trans pan gasket is reuseable, ther shouldn't be a need for an after market gasket. I have not seen to many trans pan gaskets leak after reinstalled.
Great, thanks. My wife had the transmission fluid changed in her 02 Malibu and when she returned, there was a trail of fluid into the driveway and a huge pool of it under the car. They shop was closing ten minutes after I called them and they sent someone out to look at it. The manager was the one who told me that they had an intermittent issue with aftermarket gaskets. They had to order one from the dealer to fix hers.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

They should have reused the original gasket, unless the mangled it up somehow.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

They probably messed it up. As it turned out less than two months later the trans gave up the ghost and I had to spend over 2K to get it completely redone.