LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Handling Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling Upgrades

Well, because i don't have enough knowledge to do the go-fast mods just yet, I'm looking to upgrade the handling - sway bar(s) in particular - and was wondering if anyone had any info on these.

According to GMcanada, the ImpSS sports a hollow 34mm front and hollow 19.4mm rear bar. The ImpLS/LT/LTZ sport the same exact bar as the 04-05 SS. One could assume from this that the same GMPP upgrade for the 04-05 SS would work on the new Impalas, correct? The setup on the SS wouldn't be different than the non-SS's, right? The GMPP bars are 34/18mm (front/rear - solid).

I can get the GMPP bars from ZZPerformance for $130 (145 shipped) or get the entire kit from GMPD for $175 shipped, which includes a single STB and a pair of tubular trailing arms. However, i've already ordered the STB's and appropriate brackets, so i wouldn't need the one that comes in the kit. Someone said that the current Impala trailing arms are square tubes and pretty good construction...would there be any benefit to going with the GMPP tubular trailing arms?

What else, suspension-wise, can i upgrade? Lateral arms? I'll be upgrading the bushings & endlinks to poly when i do these upgrades. Eventually, i'm hoping to go-low with the Eibach pro-kit...but not until Spring/Summer, and that doesn't occur in Buffalo until some time in July LOL.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

not 19.4, and not hollow...

SS models feature stiffer spring rates, a larger 34mm front stabilizer bar/18mm solid rear stabilizer bar

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-12-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
not 19.4, and not hollow...

SS models feature stiffer spring rates, a larger 34mm front stabilizer bar/18mm solid rear stabilizer bar
You sure about this? Is that on the Monte or the Imp (or both)...b/c GMCanada said...

(expletive) and i just bought them (expletive)

EDIT: i just found that at Chevy.com! That wasn't there when i went searching for this info before! DAMN!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yup - chevrolet's site, and on both Monte and Imp... I believe it's even in my 2006 brochure that I have at home as well...

The only thing that should be different between our cars are the body panels... engine, suspension, etc etc should all be the same.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 02-12-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only way we will ever solve this dilema is have some ImpSS guy get under the car with a set of calipers, since even GM can't make up their mind.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

interesting... the Impala on GM Canada's site says:

"Independent tri-link coil over strut, twin-tube dampers, variable-rate coil springs, 16-mm solid stabilizer bar (FE1); (SS FE3 has dual rate coil springs, hollow 19.4-mm stabilizer bar)"

http://gmcanada.com/english/vehicles.../impa_opti.jsp

BUT - for the GM Canada Monte, it says:

"Independent tri-link coil over strut, twin-tube dampers; variable-rate coil springs; 16-mm solid stabilizer bar (FE2); FE4 has a solid 18-mm stabilizer bar"

So either way, it looks like the Monte's got the solid bar... but for the Impala's, I wonder if the hollow bar is only for ones that stay in Canada and aren't delivered to US???

Old 02-12-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

I just went back to GMcanada's site and according to that, only the Monte SS (FE4 suspension package) got the 18mm solid rear bar. The ImpSS got the FE3 suspension with a 19.4mm hollow rear bar.

Working with a parts guy right now to see what the deal is.

Just checked my parts list, too, and the Monte FE4 and Impala FE3 show the same p/n for the rear bar.

[EDIT: apparently you beat me to that info]
Old 02-12-2007, 12:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
I just went back to GMcanada's site and according to that, only the Monte SS (FE4 suspension package) got the 18mm solid rear bar. The ImpSS got the FE3 suspension with a 19.4mm hollow rear bar.

Working with a parts guy right now to see what the deal is.

Just checked my parts list, too, and the Monte FE4 and Impala FE3 show the same p/n for the rear bar.

[EDIT: apparently you beat me to that info]

LOL - yup... I just edited too to add the Monte info, probably as you were posting yours LOL...

so no matter what, I should have the solid bar underneath.

and like I mentioned in my post above, I wonder if the hollow bar is only for ones that stay in Canada and aren't delivered to US???

Old 02-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Funny you should mention this. I was thinking of getting the HD suspension kit from Pace for my GXP (trailing arms, STB brace, and one other thing that I cannot remember).

I sent an email to Pace to see if it worked on the GXP (since supposedly all the other parts work for the 04+ GP).

Figured it would be something I could do without too much of an issue.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

since you're in the mood for lookin up stuff, look up the sway bar diameters for the gxp. i need a bigger one for the rear. the damn thing won't rotate
Old 02-12-2007, 01:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

sorry, nothing listed on Pontiac's site for the size...

EDIT: here's what I found in a couple articles around the net...

"In addition to larger rolling stock, suspension tweaks enhance the 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP’s handling. The four-wheel independent setup is dropped 9mm and equipped with Bilstein gas-charged struts, higher rate springs, and a hollow 17.2mm rear stabilizer bar."

nothing I found anywhere mentioned anything about a front bar...

but, I DID find the GM news release about your car LOL - http://www.pontiac.com/divisional/ne...?pageSection=2

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 02-12-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Area47
the damn thing won't rotate
What do you mean by that?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac
What do you mean by that?

lift throttle over steer. nadda, does not exsist. during the summer times, i do a lot of heavy cornering, auto-x and various other things. the car pushes so freakin hard it's not even funny. by stiffing up the *** end a bit, it makes the front end softer in a sense. turn in faster more or less, less push
Old 02-12-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Well, i got a hold of ZZP and cancelled the rear bar. I can't imagine that the canadian Imps get shortchanged with that bar.

Anyway, still waiting on the STBs from GMPD...still "on order"...but will report when i get them. I do have two pair of STB brackets sitting here on my desk, though . Not much fun to look at.

One bit of good news, though...i DID finally get the poly mount installed (after a scare). I'll explain in that dedicated thread.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Area47
lift throttle over steer. nadda, does not exsist. during the summer times, i do a lot of heavy cornering, auto-x and various other things. the car pushes so freakin hard it's not even funny. by stiffing up the *** end a bit, it makes the front end softer in a sense. turn in faster more or less, less push
These FWD's aren't very near as predictable as the Z when it comes to oversteer / understeer. Damn scarry sometimes when it starts to understeer w/o any warning.

Has to do with the mechanical grip of the front tires trying to turn in and brake / accelerate at the same time, with only 100% traction available, the driver has to chose to distribute the traction percentage between the cornering or the brake / acceleration function. I'm sure you learned the entry / brake / accel / exit points at your local track.

Must be a bitch to race, no acceleration traction, now unstable in the corners? Maybe slap some BFG G-Force KD's on the front?

Last edited by Kazmaniac; 02-12-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Race! If you want these cars to handle well my advice is trade it for a CTS or a GTO depending on your budget and how many doors you need. Remember its a big FWD car no matter what you do to the suspension it won't handle like a RWD car. I was not thrilled with my Impala's handling the day I had it on track. In fact I got a faster lap time with my Silverado Z71 because it will oversteer. My wifes old 2003 Grand am GT had a faster lap time than the Impala SS. Don't get me wrong handling is sufficient for the car but I would not put a whole lot of money in preping it for auto cross or the track. Save the $$$ for the drag strip enhancements.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to spend that kind of money I know where you can find a RWD car that will start out at .91g and only go up from there ...
Old 02-12-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

more or less trying to even the car out, i know i won't get it to act the exact way i want {which my z was perfect} just trying to help it out a lil bit
Old 02-12-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm actually surprised with the out-of-the-box handling of this MCSS, it feels a whole lot better balanced than my past 3 Impalas with the sport suspensions.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

I test drove both a 2006 MCSS and a 2006 Impala SS, and the MC felt like it had a way stiffer ride. I thought the Impala had a different handling package as apposed to the Monte Carlo.

Quick Reply: Handling Upgrades