LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tuners and Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 06:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Tuners and Gauges

Unfortunately, I live too far away from any of the tuning places (like Vector), so I am kind of stuck with having to do my own tuning. That being said, I am a tad nervous about getting an HP Tuner/Diablo because I am worried about hosing the car up.

I plan on doing (or having done) the rockers, pushrods, springs, DP, exhaust, new hood (and that %*$^&$ paint chip in my door ), flipping the motor mount (hopefully this weekend), shift kit and transmission cooler. Already installed the CAI. If I can confirm part numbers and compatibility, will do the HD suspension kit from Pace.

I would like to add a few gauges as well. Anyone know a gauge that works with our vehicles that monitors KR? Aeroforce looks cool, but does not appear to work with our new bus.

So, am I safe with HP or am I looking at a world of hurt?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

the only thing that somewhat works as far as gauges is the dash hawk. timing isn't accurate, but it's better then nothing
Old 02-13-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone know of a special deal on the Diablo? Everyone pay around $300 for it? I think it's on eBay for about $300 right now, iirc. However, every online retailer i see shows $400 or so.

Who's got the hookup?

Are there any vendors here that deal with Diablo?

Last edited by Richiec77; 02-13-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Anyone know of a special deal on the Diablo? Everyone pay around $300 for it? I think it's on eBay for about $300 right now, iirc. However, every online retailer i see shows $400 or so.

Who's got the hookup?

Are there any vendors here that deal with Diablo?
I got mine from thoroughbreddiesel.com

I did a dealer search on Diablo to confirm.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by live2ride
I got mine from thoroughbreddiesel.com

I did a dealer search on Diablo to confirm.
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll be ordering this soonly
Old 02-14-2007, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

Is the Diablo a good tunner? What can you all do with it? Is it as good as a hp tunner? I dont have a labtop, so would this work ok for my car or should I just get a pcm that is already done?

Thank you and sorry for all the questions.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Launching!

I know there are some people here with both. I think HP has a tad more features and control, but you do need a laptop. If I understand it correctly anyway.

Thing about them is, I am a novice to this, so I am standing on the shoulders of giants whenever possible
Old 02-14-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

HP Tuners is definitely better software, but like it was said, you DO need a laptop to do anything with it. Diablo is a better unit for the novice tuner. Plug-n-play with some decent tunes, plus once you get a handle of it you can get fancy and alter most of the parameters. If you read the 7-8 page thread about the Diablo Updates (it's somewhere on page two of this LS4 section, you'll get an idea of what can be done.

Soon, they'll have a (free) patch that will allow you to alter TCM parameters as well (torque management) and i think that will help to solve the slight DOD surge mose everyone has with the DIablo street tune. Personally, with my gas mileage, i would still want DOD enabled, but the best tune eliminates it altogether. I think some TCM tuning will deliver the best of both worlds.

Oh, yeah...and i'm definitely in the novice category, so DIablo is the one for me.