LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Why the U-bend in the exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007 | 02:11 AM
Staging Lane

Default Why the U-bend in the exhaust?

Ok Got up under the car today to take a good look at the exhaust lay-out. Well headers are out of the question...the front looks like a piece of cake,, with the cross over pipe being no big deal either,,,but the back?? I can't see anyway of getting in there. The down pipe and everything eles no problem..Hey,, is it just my car or doesn't the front of the cat get welded or clamped to the down pipe?? Looks like mine just got pushed in.
Anyway does anyone know the reason for the U-bend and the crimp in it??
There's plenty of room to use a stright pipe and put the o2 sensor in. I was going to replace the U-bend but looking for why it's done like it is.
And one other thing... All the cat-back set-ups I see have the same pipe layout as the stock lay-out so why would I want to pay $700 plus for a set of high flow mufflers?? Why not just change out the mufflers?
Old 02-28-2007 | 05:22 AM
Launching!

Most of the cat-backs I have seen are larger tubes. If I remember correctly, stock we have 2.25" and most aftermarket are going to be 2.5" or 3" pipes.

Reason behind the other stuff? Not sure. Availability of the parts and keeping stuff the same? Emissions? Noise control? GM does some strange things sometimes.

I have not really been under the car yet. Why are headers out of the question?
Old 02-28-2007 | 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NewYork Art
The down pipe and everything eles no problem..Hey,, is it just my car or doesn't the front of the cat get welded or clamped to the down pipe??
Should be welded - Hogan has a D/P available.

Anyway does anyone know the reason for the U-bend and the crimp in it?? There's plenty of room to use a stright pipe and put the o2 sensor in. I was going to replace the U-bend but looking for why it's done like it is.
You are correct - more than likely there was a testing failure or a "possibility of one" if someone articulated over an obstacle the wrong way. Engineering overcompensated to protect the vulnerability, in case you thought you had a 4WD. There are cut / weld in replacements available.

And one other thing... All the cat-back set-ups I see have the same pipe layout as the stock lay-out so why would I want to pay $700 plus for a set of high flow mufflers?? Why not just change out the mufflers?
As mentioned above, the pipes are bigger, the smallest part of the stock system is 1 3/4" IIRC, and the stock system is heavy. Spend $700 - only if you have the $$$.

There are a couple of huge threads discussing all of these topics in this forum, worth reading.
Old 02-28-2007 | 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

the ubend is there for the rear 02 sensor. for clearance and protection so to speak.

headers are easy. pull the cover off, pull the rear coil packs off. lots of room!
Old 02-28-2007 | 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Don't know about everyone else (though they should be the same), but the Impala SS is 2.5" to the Y and then 2" to the mufflers. Buff measured it after getting his Magnaflow installed. The Magnaflow is 2.5", mandrel bent, all the way.
Old 02-28-2007 | 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And the magna sounds so nice, without being annoying inside the car. . . .I can't tell you how many comments i get
Old 02-28-2007 | 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Well,
After some looking at Hogan down pipe set-up. I like what they have with the High flow cat /d/pipe setup it has the stright pipe for the o2 sensor too. I may go with that and the Magna flow Cat back. Looking for a price now for the magna flow cat back for my car....Hogan set-up is $290 plus $13 for a gasket,,like to gives Kooks a call just for fun to see their price for the pipes and magna flow set-up
Old 02-28-2007 | 11:43 PM
TECH Junkie

The u-bend is to protect the O2 sensor, so it is not vulnerable to damage causing chunks of hazardous debris lol....

GM made it this way to cover their ***...but the sensor can fit with straight pipe.
Old 02-28-2007 | 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

You can get the Magnaflow system at performancepeddler.com for around $540 shipped. Use discount code google4e.
Old 03-01-2007 | 12:17 PM
Teching In

200$ + shipping you can have mine approx 500 miles on it, need new gaskets though, hogans DP7
Old 03-01-2007 | 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Why are you getting rid of your DP7 Killa?
Old 03-01-2007 | 05:25 PM
Teching In

Never noticed a difference IMO, it just sits in the box in my closet now + i have better things to do right now then mod, was a bad mistake when i bought it lol