LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Well the LS4 really hauls!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 235/40 18 BFG drag radials.... they are ALOT shorter than stock height like 1.5" I would reccomend a stock style older Monte 16" rim with an e/t street that is at lest 26" tall or 27" I couldnt keep the tires on it with anything more than a "feed it as fas as it will take it launch, which bogs.

IMHO rockers and springs are not a major mod as they probably only added 15 hp or so... I gained 3 mph from them. However i do like the fact that i have good springs and i religiously spin the thing to 6500 and it keeps pulling and the 2nd gear bog is gone.

This job was not hard for me as im the local LSx builder/tuner for most of the SE WI area. Ive got cam jobs on LSx's every other weekend, so im used to all the little tricks of changing the springs and stuff. This car was no diff. However for first timers this is not the easiest car to work on.

I will eventually get around to the cam, my turbo parts finally came for the Camaro so im trying to get that thing done first.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Regular

Are the rods good to 6300 RPM though?
Old 06-13-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jabronie78
Are the rods good to 6300 RPM though?
Lol my Camaro has stock rods and that **** sucker has seen 3 years of 7000 RPM's... AND on a 200 shot! Same rods as the LS4.

Older Z06's spun to 6500 as do LS2's with the same rods and rod bolts.

Stock LS1's spin to 6200 as well.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by scarlett
I found an article on the net that said our stock springs are good up to 6300 RPM and the best spot to shift is 6100 RPM. From all the headaches talking to people they said unless you change the cam dont worry about the springs just don't abuse them by punching into the 6 grand marker alot.
While the stock springs may be ok at 6300, that is with the 1.7 rocker ratio, the 1.8 might take a few hundred RPM off that, GM is notorious for using the bare minimum valve spring needed for stock. All I know is that it lays down before I would expect the transmission torque reduction to take place. To tie in to the thread, I hope to have my LS4 hauling here pretty soon.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

Could you use a oil restricted pushrod with a metering hole in it to do the same thing as changing springs. For pushrods you don't have to do anything except remove the rocker pull out the push rod and replace with a new one, correct?
Tate
Old 06-13-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Compg
Could you use a oil restricted pushrod with a metering hole in it to do the same thing as changing springs. For pushrods you don't have to do anything except remove the rocker pull out the push rod and replace with a new one, correct?
Tate
You are correct on the pushrod replacement procedure. I am not following you on installing an ORP as being the same as a spring swap.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:13 AM
12 Second Club

OR Pushrods have a small metering hole running threw them and they allow the lifter to stay pumped up at higher RPMs.
Tate
Old 06-14-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I understand OR pushrods, I did not understand why you think they would be a substitute for changing springs, or even if that was what you were asking. The answer to your question (as I now understand it) is no. Keeping the lifters from bleeding off too quickly at high RPM is not a benefit of better springs, actually quite the opposite. The springs will have higher seat pressures and (generally, as heavier springs will control the valves better at higher RPM) keep the valves from bouncing around without being in control of them. Higher seat pressures will keep the lifter on the cam better as well (picture it trying to squeeze the oil out of them), keeping it from 'jumping' off at the highest lift point. It does sap more power to compress the heavier springs, but the ability to spin higher is well worth it in my opinion, especially with the excellant heads on the LS4.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FastPacedGTO

Even the GM LSx would slide in there perfectly.

I just don't get it when people are like "there's no aftermarket for this motor" Hello, it's an LSx, the aftermarket is huge, all thats badly needed right now is headers, and I'm surprized they aren't out, as the 3800's had headers.
OK not to be an A$$ but no a normal LSx motor will not just slide right in. The LS4 block is shorter then the standard LS block. And if you are thinking stroker kit, wrong again the crank is shorter then the other LSx motors.

As far as the headers, have you looked under the hood of an LS4 car? we have maybe a quarter the room as the 3800. So as said earlier before you speak make sure you know what you are talking about.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:40 AM
11 Second Club

Nice runs!
Old 06-28-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Goat2NV
Nice runs!
Holy Batman dig-up....just kidding .

Quick Reply: Well the LS4 really hauls!