LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

00-05 vs 06+ W-Body exhaust and Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 00-05 vs 06+ W-Body exhaust and Suspension

I figured this would be a decent place to ask such a question.

Given that the W-body's of 00-04/5 are largly similar to 05+, does anyone know what is really different between the suspension, namely shocks/struts versus the newer W-bodys? Also, I know there are slight differences in the exhaust, but does anyone know how different they are?

The reason I ask, Pacesetter makes a 3" exhaust for 00-05 Impalas. I'm sure the exhaust tips would be different versus a 06+ Impala, but is there really a huge difference between them that an exhaust shop couldn't adjust?

any ideas or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Magna, over at NAIOA "ratbon" installed the magnaflow kit on his 06SS, and installed the OEM SS exhaust on his sons 00-05 (LS?). He said that all he needed to do was bend the tailpipes downward b/c they hit the bumper. He said the flange bolted up right and all hangers were used.

I'm sure the pacesetter would work...provided, as you mentioned, you fabbed up new tailpipe/tips combos. All 00-05 exhausts have straight tailpipes that bring the tips out closer to the middle. You'd need to have comparable sized tailpipes bent to allow the tips to come through the exhaust cutouts.

Wouldn't 3" kill BP on a N/A motor?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Given the routing of the W-body exhaust, I'd rather have a 3" setup. It doesn't make much since personally, all F-body's even the 275hp LT1 engines aftermarket exhausts come 3" or more. Granted the 5.3 is a slightly smaller air pump, I'd rather loose a little off the line torque that I'm not using and gain a little HP higher in the rpm band anyhow.

Now if we can just figure out if the 00-05 shocks mount the same as well, we'd be set. I know that KYB makes a set of fully adjustable shocks/struts for the W-body.

Thanks for the info Buff, that makes my day, now I just need money!
Old 07-13-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MagnaPilot
Yeah, that's the kicker right there
Old 07-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Well I just answered my own question about the suspension. On the WBS, I noticed that they list the KYB GR-2 Struts for both the 00-05 Impala and 06+. Other than the GXP, they are said to work with all W-Bodys 00 and newer. They don't list this for the KYB adjustables, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work as well.

Now to another interesting thing, it seems that certain 04+ and newer W-bodys recieved 11.9 inch brakes, the same as the Monte and Impala brakes, which leads me to believe that the rotors sold in that size in the W-body store may work on 06+ as well.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

it seems that certain 04+ and newer W-bodys recieved 11.9 inch brakes, the same as the Monte and Impala brakes,
All the 04+ Grand Prixs have the 11.93" brakes...

The GXPs have even bigger/better ones...that thing stops very nicely.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Well I just answered my own question about the suspension. On the WBS, I noticed that they list the KYB GR-2 Struts for both the 00-05 Impala and 06+. Other than the GXP, they are said to work with all W-Bodys 00 and newer. They don't list this for the KYB adjustables, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work as well.

Now to another interesting thing, it seems that certain 04+ and newer W-bodys recieved 11.9 inch brakes, the same as the Monte and Impala brakes, which leads me to believe that the rotors sold in that size in the W-body store may work on 06+ as well.

Magna, you need to spend more time at NAIOA. The 06 brake rotor "hat" is different/deeper and are not the same as the 00-05.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Given the routing of the W-body exhaust, I'd rather have a 3" setup. It doesn't make much since personally, all F-body's even the 275hp LT1 engines aftermarket exhausts come 3" or more. Granted the 5.3 is a slightly smaller air pump, I'd rather loose a little off the line torque that I'm not using and gain a little HP higher in the rpm band anyhow.

Now if we can just figure out if the 00-05 shocks mount the same as well, we'd be set. I know that KYB makes a set of fully adjustable shocks/struts for the W-body.

If I could find a set I know the GXP struts will bolt up to my 2003 GTP. I'd imagine that it should work on your 06 as well
Old 07-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Cool, thanks for the confirmation on that. I wonder why W-Body store hasn't attempted to pickup on these sorts of things.