LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

I purchased a U7191 Diablosport

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I purchased a U7191 Diablosport

for my 06GTO but it will scan with real time data for my 100% stock 05 GXP. During the first scan of real time data the

AFR would typically stay around 14.75 but when I hammered it
it would actually jump up to 16.75-17.1. Whats up with that? Should it not go down to around 12.75-13???

Heat soak on the gxp is horrific. Worse than the gto.

I have always run quality 91 octane but I actually picked up 3-4 degrees of KR on the stock tune for a very small time during the first 1 maybe 2 seconds
of hammering it from 25 mph. This worried me on my gto's 91 octane tune, seeing this kr on a stock tune just shows its normal.

I guess my only question is why does the AFR go UP not down?
Old 07-19-2007, 07:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the U7191 has a known "bug" in the on-screen display of the AFR... yes, it goes up to 17.xx on the screen, but the data log will show the correct value.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 07-19-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

What tuner should I get.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HP Tuner if you know someone that can dyno tune it for you.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mels SS
What tuner should I get.
Get a dyno tune when you have some more mods done. Really the 2 biggest gains are made from the tweaking of the transmission tables and the A/F ratios when the car is mostly stock. They all come from the factory with a safe tune to make sure all care will work without running too lean or too rich. And the timing is also set to safe levels to keep detonation from happening.

The hand held tuners don't do too much. It maybe worth up to about 10-15 HP MAX at the wheel, but a good dyno tune will net the same or more and is much more flexible. Every car is slightly different and you can't plan for all of them.

If you do get a hand held, get a Diablosport since it's the most Flexible of the hand held tuners. Next would be HP tuners or EFI Live for tuning software, but you need to know what you are doing.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Get a dyno tune when you have some more mods done. Really the 2 biggest gains are made from the tweaking of the transmission tables and the A/F ratios when the car is mostly stock. They all come from the factory with a safe tune to make sure all care will work without running too lean or too rich. And the timing is also set to safe levels to keep detonation from happening.

The hand held tuners don't do too much. It maybe worth up to about 10-15 HP MAX at the wheel, but a good dyno tune will net the same or more and is much more flexible. Every car is slightly different and you can't plan for all of them.

If you do get a hand held, get a Diablosport since it's the most Flexible of the hand held tuners. Next would be HP tuners or EFI Live for tuning software, but you need to know what you are doing.
I would recommend a dyno tune as well. They are custom to your needs, and a qualified operator could really change your car, i.e. wake it up.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks 06 Monte SS for your reply. I thought something was weird.

As far as diablosport, I've had mine for a couple of months and love it. We are at all different levels of learning here. I felt most comfortable with diablosport. Will I
get a custom tune....yes in time. Diablosport is a known quantity and I'm sure I'll learn alot from it. All in good time. In my case I killed 2 birds with one stone with diablosport....GXP and GTO. Heck of a deal.

Thanks again
Old 07-19-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by okie123
Thanks 06 Monte SS for your reply. I thought something was weird.

As far as diablosport, I've had mine for a couple of months and love it. We are at all different levels of learning here. I felt most comfortable with diablosport. Will I
get a custom tune....yes in time. Diablosport is a known quantity and I'm sure I'll learn alot from it. All in good time. In my case I killed 2 birds with one stone with diablosport....GXP and GTO. Heck of a deal.

Thanks again
Yeah. It's a safer deal to use. If you can do some data logging, you can get some custom tunes and then monitor the data you can read to see if it's helping or doing nothing. Even then you need to figure out what you are looking at.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by okie123
In my case I killed 2 birds with one stone with diablosport....GXP and GTO. Heck of a deal.

Thanks again
yeah, but you can only have 1 car tuned at a time...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 07-20-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

You can also only drive one car at a time.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yeah, but I would think that'd be a PITA... restore original backup to car 1, tune car 2 and go driving... come home, restore original backup to car 2, install tune to car 1, go driving, etc etc etc...

Old 07-20-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just a heads up to people considering the Predator; go to their website forum and judge for yourself if they are going to deliver the TCM modifying ability that they have been promising for well over a year now, before you plunk down your hard earned money.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

what I heard from a developer is, it will be available at the end of the summer...

ttfwiw...

Old 07-20-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
what I heard from a developer is, it will be available at the end of the summer...

ttfwiw...
Did you not also hear from the developer that it was going to be ready by now, and by six months ago, and six months before that, and, well...it goes on like this?

For what it's worth? Not too much in my book, but everyone can make their own choices with their own money.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 06 SS
Did you not also hear from the developer that it was going to be ready by now, and by six months ago, and six months before that, and, well...it goes on like this?

For what it's worth? Not too much in my book, but everyone can make their own choices with their own money.
Not to start any ****, but I've never heard anyone at Diablosport giving a specific time frame for when the TCM tweaking would be finished. All I've EVER heard them say is that it was "coming." Yes, they've been saying that for a while now, but I've never heard of them giving a specific date and then not delivering, at least not for the U7191.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Corny40
Not to start any ****, but I've never heard anyone at Diablosport giving a specific time frame for when the TCM tweaking would be finished. All I've EVER heard them say is that it was "coming." Yes, they've been saying that for a while now, but I've never heard of them giving a specific date and then not delivering, at least not for the U7191.
Well, now we have 'at the end of the Summer', presumably 2007. I look forward to getting that particular download.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

FWIW, I'm too lazy to search the forums for the exact works Mike @ Diablo has used over the last "X" months going on a year. All of them are very clever at using the words that say or guarantee nothing, yet leave you with the impression of what you want to hear. The old phrase "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit" comes to mind.

This it the text from his latest TCM response on their forum:

OK guys, here is the deal.
We at no point decided that we could not crack the code.
It was simply a matter of having the manpower and resources available to get it done.
We do have a new engineer here, that formerly worked at GM, and his first job assignment was to get our GM TCM support up and running.

I sent an email to our owners this morning and was told that the TCM support is actively being pursued and should be ready for Beta testing in 30-60 days.
At no point have I or anyone else here attempted to mislead you, as we can only tell you what we are told will happen.
I do agree that maybe there has been some communications issues internally as evidenced by the fact that you guys have heard the same thing for a year now, but all I can do is assure you that the new owners of the company are committed to making all of you happy customers.

FWIW, this tool was released under our previous ownership and the new owners put TCM updates right at the top of their to-do list after taking over the company, based in large part on my input from you guys here and on the GTO and Corvette forums.

At this point all I can do is ask for your patience and hope you will wait on the TCM support, and allow us to assist you in any way until then.

Thanks

Don't get me wrong, I actually like Mike from what little I've spoken with him and not trying to make this personal. If you read his posts you will notice when he knows an answer he drops it clear and to the point, but when he either does not or maybe does not want to answer, he chosses his word carefully.

30 - 60 until Beta could mean anything. 30-60 until release means something.

Hope this link works: http://diablosport.com/index.php?nam...r=asc&start=15
Old 07-21-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, the link works.

WOW!

That's what I get for not visiting the DS forum for almost a month now. Sorry.

I guess I just figured we'll get it when we get it, but reading that thread did get me goin' a little. There were some very good points made over there. If DS knows what's good for them, they'll have it ready ASAP.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
yeah, but I would think that'd be a PITA... restore original backup to car 1, tune car 2 and go driving... come home, restore original backup to car 2, install tune to car 1, go driving, etc etc etc...

I only use it to log the GXP AFR, IAT etc.... The predator is not programmed to reprogram a 2005 GXP. It will only scan a 2005. It will work on a 2006 however. It will screw up the computer if I try to modify anything,I am told, so I dont.

Quite a conversation on the rest of the thread. Being able to control the TCM would be great. The last time I went to the strip with the GTO, my best time was when I LET UP on the throttle anticipating first to second to avoid wheel spin. I tried not letting up and I just spun like a mother and the other car just went bye bye and I played catch up. Yes I caught the car but lost 3/10's from first to second.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Im still waiting to see if they bring out a tuner for the 2007 models

Quick Reply: I purchased a U7191 Diablosport