LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

LS4 Heat Soak Reduction Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 05:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Silver I would be interested for the $50.00 e-mail me.
npd4432@aol.com.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:39 AM
Launching!

I will try to take a picture of mine this weekend.

I have had the vector one on mine since they became available. I ran it through my CAI box (there is a little notch that is just perfect fit for the wire loom to go through into the box. I think it has been about a year or so now, no issues with water or snow or anything.

Definately makes the IAT change quicker than stock. When I watched it on the HPTuner gauge screen (I figured out how to do that part - yay me!), it adjusts all the time.

Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to watch my IAT stuff since I got my Inferno hood on, so I cannot tell you how much of a difference a hood with heat extractors and none of that fireproofing under it has made a difference. Car feels like it pulls better now than it did last summer, but that could be a lot of things (I am just at 7330 miles on the car now, engine could be settling, new hood weighs about 1/4 of the old one, the heat extractors, the IAT sensor, combo of the above).
Old 07-26-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Maybe like on my GP the heat extractors work well and a cooler stat to flow water sooner makes a big difference.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

I have this on my 04 Comp G and it does work. I made mine for about $25 and a trip to a local auto parts. It's a IAT sensor from a LS1 and you need a connector to hook up the IAT to the wires you splice and a little wire (I used 10 guage because I had it at the house already). Takes about 5 minutes to do this and my way you have to splice into your stock wiring and this version is plug and play, but for the extra $75 I can cut some wire.
This will NOT make any more power on your vehicle. It's like how your vehicle runs better when it's cool out side versus hot. This sensor just reads every couple of seconds and adjustments are made then vs. the stock sensor reading every 12-15 seconds and making adjustments.
Tate
Old 07-26-2007, 02:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Compg
This will NOT make any more power on your vehicle. It's like how your vehicle runs better when it's cool out side versus hot.
right... so it reads cooler temps and registers faster, so that timing isn't being pulled due to the heat/higher temps... so if no timing is being pulled, then technically, it IS making more power, no??

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 07-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

It seems it would be making maxium power with the current conditions.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by npd4432
It seems it would be making maxium power with the current conditions.
Exactly!
Tate
Old 07-26-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Th problem is the stock sensor supposedly takes about 15 secnds to react. I've never seen this tested though. I do know the vector sensor reacts immediatley, in turn not pulling the timing nearly as long.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

k, say with current conditions and the stock IAT sensor, it's hot weather and IAT is registering at 100 degrees - so now the ECM is pulling timing - thus you're getting less performance.

but.. with the same current conditions, hot weather, but with the new IAT sensor and it's relocated to the front of the car, getting cooler temp readings faster, the IAT now only registers say 85 degrees - so now NO timing is being pulled...

then you ARE getting better performance from it, even though you're in the same exact weather conditions.

make sense?? or am I not getting it??

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 07-26-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Or, your stock iat is reading 110 degrees idleing in the staging lanes or at a red light, building up heat. You start to acc, engine starts sucking in cooler air, but the stock iat does not react for about 10-15 sec's to tell the ecm to stop pulling timing. The new iat will instantly respond to the incoming colder air and tell the ecm to stop pulling time. At least in theory.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

That's it! I'm getting one!
Old 07-26-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well now I feel more confident to buy this. I thought it was of those Ebay gimmicks where its a resistor and they sell them for 100.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by SILVER LS4
Or, your stock iat is reading 110 degrees idleing in the staging lanes or at a red light, building up heat. You start to acc, engine starts sucking in cooler air, but the stock iat does not react for about 10-15 sec's to tell the ecm to stop pulling timing. The new iat will instantly respond to the incoming colder air and tell the ecm to stop pulling time. At least in theory.
k, that's the same thing I'm saying... so I'm right then... it DOES improve performance and give you more power, cuz the ECM aint' pulling timing since the IAT is cooler...

see, I always knew I was right...

Old 07-27-2007, 05:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'll test tomorrow and post the numbers for both. I'll secure the new one inside the CAI box for the test rather than drill the filter.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Make sure it's located in a place where it will see air flow, not just in a cool place.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SILVER LS4
Make sure it's located in a place where it will see air flow, not just in a cool place.
I will. I may secure it to the outside top at the base of the filter where the probe hangs over the filter area. I want to make sure I can feel air flow with my hand before I mount it.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure about you guys, but $15 for this @ Summit vs $99 for the same thing with two wires connected to it doesn't seem like such a bargain... And for Vector to call it a Heat Soak Reduction Kit is insane, what part of an IAT sensor is reducing heat soak? Misleading, just a tad. The IAT isn't getting heat soaked because you will be moving it to another/ cooler location. Pfffftt HSRK okay....
P/N: MSD-2320
Old 07-27-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RedHot04
Not sure about you guys, but $15 for this @ Summit vs $99 for the same thing with two wires connected to it doesn't seem like such a bargain... And for Vector to call it a Heat Soak Reduction Kit is insane, what part of an IAT sensor is reducing heat soak? Misleading, just a tad. The IAT isn't getting heat soaked because you will be moving it to another/ cooler location. Pfffftt HSRK okay....
P/N: MSD-2320
You know this will work?
Old 07-27-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
You know this will work?
Most IAT sensors are intergral to the MAF on various GM Platforms, LS1,Etc. I know it has two wires connecting it on many if not all of them. For those of us in the truck scene that want to run the IAT in the Intake tube near the TB (then cool it w/ some meth) or for whatever reason, an LS1 IAT or..... this one works fine. Just check your wires going to the MAF/IAT and connect w/ wire taps. I'll look for the post on PTnet and put a link here when I find it. Or you can go there and search.

Last edited by RedHot04; 07-28-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

you do realize you can build your own kit for about 30 bucks using gm parts right.

it's not that big of a gain. i have done this. done the datalogs.

Quick Reply: LS4 Heat Soak Reduction Kit