LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Battery disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 03:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery disconnect

After reading some threads on installing new parts it was suggested to disconnect the battery for 20 minutes to clear the pcm. I recently did this and WOW. The car runs much better from shifting to throttle response. The car has 9,000 miles on it now and hasn't run this good since I bought it. When I did buy it from the dealer it had 900 miles on it, my question is did the 900 miles I didn't drive the car "learn" the previous drivers habits? Is it recommended to clear the pcm on occasion to "re-learn"? The only part I have installed is the CAI air box.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

bump??
Old 08-02-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

06MonteSS should have some info about this. I don't think he's been by today, but when he sees this, I'm sure he'll chime in.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yeah, I disconnect my negative battery cable periodically...

it helps to clear out all the "learned" parameters, such as the fuel trims, amount of air flow, driving "style/habits", etc etc... gives it a good pick-me-up... it's especially recommended when installing a CAI, so you can reset the MAF learned parameters and let it relearn the new amount of airflow coming in...

which reminds me, I'm about due for another reset...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 08-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I just installed the vector HSRK, do you think I could use another reset?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

no, you should be good to go... that takes instantaneous readings and adjusts things as needed on the fly...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 08-02-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah regular disconnects help the PCM from getting stuck in a perpetual habit of learning your driving.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

actually, when I went to do mine this weekend... I found an easier way... dunno why I didn't think of this before

in the under-hood fuse box, I just pulled the ECM/TCM 15-amp fuse for 20 minutes and then put it back in... did the same thing... WOOHOO!!

the diagram showing the location is on page 5-97 of the owner's manual...

there are 3 fuses that reference the ECM, but I only pulled the one fuse labeled ECM/TCM - it's located right under the big STRTR relay...

when you take that fuse box cover off, you'll notice on the right edge of the fuses that there's a little white fuse puller... you'll need that! push the end of that onto the fuse and it will clip on... pull the fuse, leave the fuse in that puller, and after 20 mins, put the fuse back in - squeeze the end of the puller to release the fuse from it.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Where would our cars be w/o you Lew?
Old 08-06-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
actually, when I went to do mine this weekend... I found an easier way... dunno why I didn't think of this before

in the under-hood fuse box, I just pulled the ECM/TCM 15-amp fuse for 20 minutes and then put it back in... did the same thing... WOOHOO!!

the diagram showing the location is on page 5-97 of the owner's manual...

there are 3 fuses that reference the ECM, but I only pulled the one fuse labeled ECM/TCM - it's located right under the big STRTR relay...

when you take that fuse box cover off, you'll notice on the right edge of the fuses that there's a little white fuse puller... you'll need that! push the end of that onto the fuse and it will clip on... pull the fuse, leave the fuse in that puller, and after 20 mins, put the fuse back in - squeeze the end of the puller to release the fuse from it.
I was trying to figure out what that white thing was (fuse puller) for 20 minutes the other day .
Old 08-06-2007, 08:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Corny40
Where would our cars be w/o you Lew?
are you crackin' wise, cupcake??!!!

(yeah, just watched Night at the Museum again LOL)

Old 08-07-2007, 01:13 AM
TECH Resident

Actually, I was being serious.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I know.... no harm, no foul...

I was just tryin' to be funny a'la Mickey Rooney...