Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 20SS07
The Imp SS weighs about 3760.
Thanks, I knew it was heavier than the monte
Old 08-19-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Taz34SS
Its due to the weight of those cars vs the weight of ours. I beleve they are 4400-4500lbs where we are sitting at 3500lbs?
Charger SRT-8 is only 4100lbs
Old 08-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Teching In

If it's any help, I took my Charger to a certified scale and it checked in at 4,150 lbs with a half tank of gas & no driver. I haven't as yet weighed the Impy.

Here's my take, since I own both and have raced my wife who knows how to drive and runs low 11's in our GN:
Gearing- Advantage: Charger
Drivetrain-- I've found that the Impy's drivetrain has quite a bit of slop in it; likely a combination of a loose converter, soft motor mounts, less-than-advantageous gearing in the 4-spd, and lazy throttle tip-in. The Charger (which is a 5-speed) is dead opposite in all these categories.
50-80 MPH: Edge to the Impala due to weight.

We've essentially split our matches. I will say that I find it astounding the Impy does not have either the Tap Shift feature or at least some sort of manumatic mode like the Charger does-- people who buy these cars are performance buffs; c'mon GM!!

Fuel: The Charger's recommended fuel is 89, the Impy is 91.

Last edited by BariPlayer; 08-19-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stounding the Impy does not have either the Tap Shift feature or at least some sort of manumatic mode like the Charger does
You gotta bring out the big brother then! GXP
Old 08-20-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BariPlayer
We've essentially split our matches. I will say that I find it astounding the Impy does not have either the Tap Shift feature or at least some sort of manumatic mode like the Charger does-- people who buy these cars are performance buffs; c'mon GM!!
It's not like the Tap Shift really improves performance anyways...it's just a different mechanism for doing the same thing as our 1-2-3-D. Correct me if Im wrong...
Old 08-22-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

If it's any help, I took my Charger to a certified scale and it checked in at 4,150 lbs with a half tank of gas & no driver. I haven't as yet weighed the Impy.

Here's my take, since I own both and have raced my wife who knows how to drive and runs low 11's in our GN:
Gearing- Advantage: Charger
Drivetrain-- I've found that the Impy's drivetrain has quite a bit of slop in it; likely a combination of a loose converter, soft motor mounts, less-than-advantageous gearing in the 4-spd, and lazy throttle tip-in. The Charger (which is a 5-speed) is dead opposite in all these categories.
50-80 MPH: Edge to the Impala due to weight.

Fuel: The Charger's recommended fuel is 89, the Impy is 91.
I agree with you an all points except the drivetrain. We have FWD A4's....and I am assuming since you said your Charger was a 5-speed, its a stick?

An A4 is always going to be doggier than a stick, and FWD and torque management/differential surge protection does not help us apply power to the pavement.

And Holy batman sig size (nice T-type).
Old 08-22-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Chargers are 5 speed autos.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Nacho SS,

I noticed your avatar has "Tech Apprentice" underneath it...all Hemi Chargers are 5-speed autos; they also have TM/ESP programs to thwart drivers with. Unfortunately, there are no handheld tuners out yet such as the ones available for the LSX applications; however, it is possible to completely disable the ESP (the ESP on 5.7L Hemis is only disabled 60-70% from the factory even when you switch it off) with a switch wired into the factory harness, as I have done.

The Charger has much more aggressive throttle tip-in, shorter first gear, a tighter ratio spread which keeps the motor in the powerband better, 50-ish more HP (in the case of the R/T with Road & Track Pkg) but it is saddled with another 400+ pounds of weight. After installing the K&N intake on the Impy I'm looking forward to my appointment later this month to have a dyno tune done at Magnaflow.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

"Tech Apprentice" is just a label given when your reach a certain # of posts...that's all. I'm surely not a TECH Resident, nor is hexxLS4 "On the tree" right now...LOL (actually, he MIGHT be...it's possible) haha
Old 08-23-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
"Tech Apprentice" is just a label given when your reach a certain # of posts...that's all. I'm surely not a TECH Resident, nor is hexxLS4 "On the tree" right now...LOL (actually, he MIGHT be...it's possible) haha
I was wrong then about the charger...
Old 08-23-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
nor is hexxLS4 "On the tree" right now...LOL (actually, he MIGHT be...it's possible) haha
haha you never know!
Old 08-23-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nacho SS,

I noticed your avatar has "Tech Apprentice" underneath it...all Hemi Chargers are 5-speed autos; they also have TM/ESP programs to thwart drivers with. Unfortunately, there are no handheld tuners out yet such as the ones available for the LSX applications; however, it is possible to completely disable the ESP (the ESP on 5.7L Hemis is only disabled 60-70% from the factory even when you switch it off) with a switch wired into the factory harness, as I have done.

The Charger has much more aggressive throttle tip-in, shorter first gear, a tighter ratio spread which keeps the motor in the powerband better, 50-ish more HP (in the case of the R/T with Road & Track Pkg) but it is saddled with another 400+ pounds of weight. After installing the K&N intake on the Impy I'm looking forward to my appointment later this month to have a dyno tune done at Magnaflow.

The charger has no tuner because like every other new hemis and the computers work together like crap. No one can get a good tune because they are allllllll over the place. Not that the 5.3 is any better, but at least people seem to be having a little more luck since they seem to run smoother (i.e. less pertubations in the mapping)
Old 08-25-2007, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kissmyss03
whoa.... they wouldnt slaughter by any means. i went to lapeer dragway and raced a srt 8 charger a bunch of times. his best was a 13.4 and mine was a 13.6 the charger isnt as quick as i thought it would be. ive taken a charger r/t on the road a couple times, those i have no problem with them
If it was a red one I might have been there that day and If it was the same day than we raced
Old 08-25-2007, 06:41 AM
Staging Lane

I think the decal on my car says it all.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wnyimpala
I think the decal on my car says it all.

Like the sig.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Launching!

Too bad these cars' (IMP SS) interiors are the CRAPPIEST things GM has given us in a LOOOOONG time. $26k+ FOR a FRONT (WRONG END) Drive rental (cop) car? Maybe they thought the last iteration was nice? C'mon GM and let Mickey Mouse go back to Disneyland. He sucks at interior design.

Anybody got embarassed by a Neon yet?

Hi. Comin' RIGHT UP YOUR *** as soon as it sticks.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by nickate
Too bad these cars' (IMP SS) interiors are the CRAPPIEST things GM has given us in a LOOOOONG time. $26k+ FOR a FRONT (WRONG END) Drive rental (cop) car? Maybe they thought the last iteration was nice? C'mon GM and let Mickey Mouse go back to Disneyland. He sucks at interior design.

Anybody got embarassed by a Neon yet?

Hi. Comin' RIGHT UP YOUR *** as soon as it sticks.
Did you come in this FWD forum and post in a kinda dead thread to talk about your neon? You posted this to start ****?

GTFO .
Old 08-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Default Sorry ---No Neon for me... I was looking at the IMP SS

Saturday at the dealer and didn't even bother driving it. THE INTERIOR IS pure Cavalier (base model). I notice you did not DISAGREE with any of my statements you just jumped to the WRONG CONCLUSION I owned a Neon! Actually I have a 2000 Z-28 and wanted to see what all the hubub was about with the LS4. My ergos in the Camaro SUCK TOO so I hoped they'd improved with the Imp. Nope.

Please remove your chip and kindly STICK IT UP YOUR chocolate whizzway. Nice to know it bothered you though!

Wanna race my Camaro? I'll Drive backwards to keep it fair.

J/K Haha.

Oh yeah--- It might beat a Hemi BUT IT WON'T BEAT A NEON!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What???? Is this guy serious??? Apparently typing in capitals makes you feel important
Old 08-28-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by eddiemoney
What???? Is this guy serious??? Apparently typing in capitals makes you feel important
Guess what guys???

I fed the ban hamster this morning!

I guess this is type of guy that people think of when they say they drive a Camaro. Muscle-bound, I'm better than you, your stuff sucks, look at me King of the Road attitude. Put it back in your pants and leave.

Quick Reply: impala ss vs charger r/t