LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Removed your hood insulation???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removed your hood insulation???

I know a few people have mentioned something about it, but couldn't find any specific information.

Who has removed the insulation from the underside of their hood? Once you pull those clips off, are they replaceable? Why is the insulation there anyway? Could it be to protect the hood from getting too hot and screwing up the paint?

Old 09-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Teching In

My guess is it's there for sound reasons.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Corny40
Why is the insulation there anyway? Could it be to protect the hood from getting too hot and screwing up the paint?
that's what I was always thinkin'... I didn't want to pull mine off and have the hood get too friggin' hot and have the paint start getting screwed up.

Has anyone had theirs removed for a while?? any negative after-affects??

The one thing I DID do was, I removed the black rubber seal from the back of the engine compartment - at the base of the windshield/back of the hood. Took that off to allow any heat out from under the back of the hood there.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 09-07-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
The one thing I DID do was, I removed the black rubber seal from the back of the engine compartment - at the base of the windshield/back of the hood. Took that off to allow any heat out from under the back of the hood there.
Can you replace it easily?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yeah... it just has a slit in it and slips over the metal edging.... pull up on one side of it to start taking it off, you'll see what I mean... piece of cake...

it's that long black weather stripping that the back of the hood seals down on when you close it.... goes all the way across... just pulls right off...

had mine out for MONTHS now... have had no reason to replace it though...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 09-07-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

it'd be nice to see if the heat extractors on the MPD hood are actually functional...might make it worth buying if they are.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

They say they're functional.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Theoretically the air would flow in the front of the bay and that provides a good place for it to flow out, but I wonder how it affects the air pressure under hood. If the extractors create too much low pressure a majority of the air will be drawn towards them rather than exiting normally. This could perhaps create a issue with turbulence or lack of cooling air in other parts of the engine.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

The hood insulation is also a fire retardant.
Its designed to fall from the hood and put out minor fires. The old school hoods had plastic pins that would melt and allow the insulation to fall. We do need some heat extractors the fender vents do jack squat!
Old 09-07-2007, 01:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
The hood insulation is also a fire retardant.
Its designed to fall from the hood and put out minor fires. The old school hoods had plastic pins that would melt and allow the insulation to fall.
aaah, good info man!! never thought of that...

Old 09-07-2007, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

I've had mine off on my 04 Comp G for the last 4 years and off the 06 GXP for the last year and 1/2. No ill side effects at all. I also take off the rubber seal on the back side of the engine compartment like 06MonteSS and zero problems there. I figure anything I can do to help remove heat from the engine compartment is good.
Tate
Old 09-07-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Corny40
They say they're functional.
Yeah but they also say the ram air is functional....but it doesn't really start making a difference until 150mph or so. There is a difference between intended functionality vs actual real world proven functionality.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ram air produces about 1 PSI of boost at about 60mph +. Even at 150MHP you wont get much over 1 PSI
Old 09-09-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sint3k
Ram air produces about 1 PSI of boost at about 60mph +. Even at 150MHP you wont get much over 1 PSI
Dunno I've read it's useless before 150mph from multiple sources including the maker of the MPD hoods. It's possible that maybe the ram air on cars like the trans am might do what you claim. The MPD hoods are probably not as effective.

Anyways, point is, that just because they're called heat extractors doesn't mean they actually work. It'd be nice to see some temp tests done to see how effective they actually are. Either way, it's a mean looking hood!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
Dunno I've read it's useless before 150mph from multiple sources including the maker of the MPD hoods. It's possible that maybe the ram air on cars like the trans am might do what you claim. The MPD hoods are probably not as effective.
Think about the gains from 1 psi...they equal nothing.

Go measure a 1 inch box, then find something that weighs a pound. And put it on top of the inch. Thats how much pressure you are getting. Almost nothing. Now remember, when you increase to 2 psi, the area of 1 inch stays the same, but the pressure doubles. So 5 psi is exponentially greater than 1 psi.

Basically, telling people you have Ram Air is like telling people you have the corvette engine, it sounds cool, but it means nothing among performance guys.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

True. Either way, it'd be interesting to see if the heat extractors work. Maybe we can get some information from that blue impala that got it done...
Old 09-09-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

I have had my insulation off the hood of my Grand Prix for years the only reason why its
there is for sound deadening no ill effect on the paint inside or out

Old 09-09-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Basically, telling people you have Ram Air is like telling people you have the corvette engine, it sounds cool, but it means nothing among performance guys.
Yeah, some Grand Am's got the ram air treatment, you don't want to run up against one of them.

The best ever was the Caravan SS ...
Old 09-10-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Old 09-10-2007, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Think about the gains from 1 psi...they equal nothing.

Go measure a 1 inch box, then find something that weighs a pound. And put it on top of the inch. Thats how much pressure you are getting. Almost nothing. Now remember, when you increase to 2 psi, the area of 1 inch stays the same, but the pressure doubles. So 5 psi is exponentially greater than 1 psi.

I agree that the gain from boost is worthless, but I would think the main benefit would be the extremely lower intake air temps. by having true ram air you are isolating the intake from engine compartment heat and forcing cooler air into the engine. This has to account for a substantial gain. No? If not aren't all the cold air intake kits that seem to be just about everyones first and recommended mod wasted money? Ram air is basically (IMO) the ultimate cold air intake. I also agree that this means relativly nothing unless moving at a decent rate of speed. But ram air is more than just a gimmick.

Quick Reply: Removed your hood insulation???