LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Size of intake tube/bellows - 3 1/2" ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Size of intake tube/bellows - 45-degree and 3 1/2" ??

Wondering if anyone knows the size of the intake tube/bellows that goes from the MAF to the throttle body?

I'm looking to replace mine with something smooth and similar to the K&N tube today.

It looks like it's a 45-degree angle, at 3 1/2" - based on the measurement I got from holding the tape measure to the outside of the ends. 3" is definitely too narrow, and 4" is definitely wider than it.

So is 45 degree angle and 3 1/2" correct?

Thanks!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 09-21-2007 at 01:04 PM. Reason: 45-degree??
Old 09-21-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're gonna make me wish I stuck with the CAI :-)
Old 09-21-2007, 10:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

once I get that piece and hook it up, it's gonna be GOLDEN man!!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 09-21-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

When you find out post it so I can do one also.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Will do, Bill...

yeah, it's gotta be - like I said... hold the tape measure over the top of the tube, it reads 3 1/2"...

and 3" is definitely too narrow, and 4" is definitely wider than it.

anyway, looks like it'll be waiting a few days... gotta order one online... I went to 4 different places around me, and nobody had anything... autozone only had 2 1/2" and 3" stuff... and it was the polished metal stuff. I'm going with rubber or silicone.

actually, probably just rubber, since silicone is about 3X the price, and only really needed in very high heat applications like with a turbo setup. So the rubber, for $10, will work nicely... ;-) the black rubber ones I found online say "Temp rated at 250-275F". That'll work, right??

just gonna have to figure out how to put the crankcase breather tube back in it...

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 09-21-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

k, just ordered a black rubber, 45-degree angle, 3 1/2" intake hose, and new t-bolt clamps... will let'cha all know how it goes when I get 'em...

still gotta figure out how to get that crankcase vent/breather tube in there though... D'OH!!

Old 09-21-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, the real problem is the MAF being off the TB. If it wasnt in the middle of the intake design, any CAI would be great, but maybe with the changes you will be doing, the CAI might be alittle better, but I will stick with my K&N until I see a new design from CAI that works better.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

will letcha know in a few days... order was sent out today... should receive it by the middle of next week...

here's hoping!! LOL

Old 09-22-2007, 09:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I should be able to just put that crankcase tube piece (the plastic piece that the tube clicks onto) from the current bellows and just stick that in the new intake tube, no? then the breather tube would just click onto it like the stock setup... know what I mean?

Old 09-22-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

You might need a grommet but either way I agree. I seem to remember seeing a site that had something like that for the aluminum tubes. Not sure you’d need to go to that extreme.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by live2ride
You might need a grommet but either way I agree. I seem to remember seeing a site that had something like that for the aluminum tubes. Not sure you’d need to go to that extreme.
He can always pimp it out later one he has it working with some cheaper pieces (in which he could sell here later =) )
Old 09-22-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
He can always pimp it out later...
No doubt!
Old 09-22-2007, 03:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yeah, I know the place that has the metal tubes with the holes in it already, but I don't want metal for the intake tube... will get hotter faster and hold onto the heat longer...

gonna get some various size grommets this week, and the parts are scheduled to be delivered on 10/1... I ordered the intake tube and 3 t-bolt clamps (better than the worm-gears). so I'll letcha know how it all works out.

can't believe no one has done this before/already...

Old 09-22-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree on the rubber or plastic piping due to heat. However, on my Z I have the K&N setup to the MAF, then an aluminum tube from that to the TB. Ever since I stopped the water from flowing through the TB everything from the TB to the MAF is cool to the touch even after a long ride. I have headers and everything else under the hood is very hot. Can't beleive I did not do that one earlier.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

woohoo!! just tracked the delivery.. package with new intake tube and clamps got delivered an hour ago... woohoo!! bought a couple grommets from Home Crepot this weekend for the crankcase breather/vent tube... so, will letcha know how it works out...

Old 10-01-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

can't wait to see it man! Hurry up!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
can't wait to see it man! Hurry up!
well, might need to find some new grommets... that intake tube is thick man!! thicker than the stock/OEM rubber... and the grommets I have aren't made/notched for a piece that thick.

I may just put the 3/8" hole in the intake tube and put the vent tube stem right in the hole with no grommet at all - should still fit in there nice and tight.

will keep ya posted...

Old 10-02-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would think sticking it into the thick rubber would work. Was they tube length Ok? I was wondering if everything else fit back into the CAI the same.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

tube length is definitely ok... if anything, it may be a little longer than the stocker, but I can always trim it down off the ends... but I haven't tried the actual switch/install yet... saw the grommet issue and I didn't proceed any further... wanted to think about it a bit and see what your guys' thoughts were about using a grommet at all or not...

I think if I make the hole small enough so that the tube insert goes in nice and tight, it should be fine though. I thought this new intake tube was gonna be thin, but I was pleasantly surprised at how thick it actually is... like I said, it's thicker than the stocker.

hopefully I'll get a chance to do it tonight... if so, I'll letcha know, and post a couple pics...

I gotta make sure I get it right the first time though, only have 1 intake tube

Old 10-02-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can't wait to see it. you may want to post the tube length of the longest part. It would make finding one easier since the 45 degree bend seems to be right. If the length was right I'd settle for thick plastic.

Quick Reply: Size of intake tube/bellows - 3 1/2" ??