LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Rear Main Seal...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS4GXP
You might want to check with a dealer.
My father in Laws Toyota Truck was out of warranty but a TSB was issued for the part that went Kaput so the dealer fixed it free of charge. I am not sure about GM dealers though.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Went to the dealer yestersday. they said they did see the oil spot, but couldn't tell if it is the rear main seal or oil pan gasket so they changed the oil and added die visible with a blacklight to see where it is comming from. idid give the the TSB number. all in all pretty happy with my dealer the service manager came out to explain to me what was going on. i was worried about my k&n air chrger so i had some print outs with the FTC regulations. The service manager asked how it was working for me. Apparently he had some one with an impy SS ask if he knew anything about the K&N. The dealer will be installing it for the guy. So I gotta goin before the next oil change for them to look with a black light. I need to buy a black light now to see if I can see where it is coming from.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

not to sound like a total dumbass guys

but hey i got like 9 out of the 10 issues in the list earlier in this thread

where do i go to get these service bulletins? i would love to print it out and take my car in

the air bag 1 pisses me off the most lol
Old 11-26-2007, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

ok guys i found the picture i took when my car was on the lift at my last oil change

if u look closely thiers oil on the right side of the pan.. opposite of the oil plug

could that be considered from the Rear Main Seal?

sorry my phone cant take good piks.. but u can clearly see it

Old 11-26-2007, 06:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Petey.Mcss
ok guys i found the picture i took when my car was on the lift at my last oil change

if u look closely thiers oil on the right side of the pan.. opposite of the oil plug

could that be considered from the Rear Main Seal?

sorry my phone cant take good piks.. but u can clearly see it

Sorry, not seeing it in that picture. The rear main seal leak will be right around where the trans hooks up to the engine, so i think you are in the vicinity.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eddiemoney
Sorry, not seeing it in that picture. The rear main seal leak will be right around where the trans hooks up to the engine, so i think you are in the vicinity.

oh ok.. my laptop lets me see it..

ill try and get a digi cam and take a better pik..

but on mine its coming on the opposite side of the oil plug...

thats why it looks a bit darker.. thats the oil lol.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Default tsb report

where can i find the tsb reports?
Old 12-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Default Update.

RECAP: I found an oil spot/smudge on the bottom of my engine oil pan, went to dealer last week. They couldn't see where it was coming from, plus the spot was small, so they added die visible with a blacklight.End Recap.

So I got a blacklight bulb at Home depot, if anyone cares. Put it in my worklight. Chechked the Oil Dip stick to see what color the die is. It was electric green. It was easily visible. Checked the car twice once when it was cold and was sitting there for a while. Then after drivingit for an hour. Also checked my driveway area where I park monte. I even checked my parking spot at work cuz I park in the same spot everyday and I spend more time at work then home so.... Had to bring a power invertor to do that.

Well the result is no leak whatsoever. After a week of heavy driving. So I am pretty happy right now. I am still going to go to the dealer just so that it is on paper that they checked it as well. in case another problem ever occurs. Plus I can get a free car wash there weather permiting.

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal...?