LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

shift kit installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift kit installed

kit was just put in an hour ago...went with what they recomended to b safe but it doesnt seem to be giving me enough umph..gonna wait a week and might switch the spacers around just a thought....ps on the way back i raced a ferarri and got shat on so that didnt help my opinion on the kit cuz it wouldnt downshift in time
Old 11-17-2007, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by IMPALA SS 07
kit was just put in an hour ago...went with what they recomended to b safe but it doesnt seem to be giving me enough umph..gonna wait a week and might switch the spacers around just a thought....ps on the way back i raced a ferarri and got shat on so that didnt help my opinion on the kit cuz it wouldnt downshift in time

lol!!!! well yeah...

try racing a ferrari F50

i got stomped on so hard, i was at WOT and it looked like i was stopped

but my bud ran him in his new Z06 vette... beat him
Old 11-17-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

u need a tune and raise pressure of trans lines and change shift points and what not. a shift kit alone isnt gonna do much
Old 11-17-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try giving the PCM about 200 miles or so to re-learn what you just did, unless you unhook the negative battery cable for a few hours. If you unhook it make sure you install it with minimal arching. Doing this will make the PCM re-learn much faster. Just a thought. A shift kit is supposed to raise line pressure, BTW.

Regards,
Old 11-18-2007, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

Give it a little time to learn. Then you will love it. But yes get a tune and you can raise the shift points and line pressure and shift time some more then you will really love it.
Tate
Old 11-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Launching!

kissmyss where did u get your tune from just a local shop or a software tune??
Old 11-19-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

He's using HPTuners, iirc.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Is your name kissmyss???

j/k Buff.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Hey, IMPALA SS, did you do it yourself? How hard was it? How would you rate your mechanical skills in this regard? I want to do this in the spring when i change out the trans fluid, but don't want to **** anything up.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Launching!

I have absolutely no mechanical skills whatsoever lol. I brought it down to a local tranny shop and watched everything the guy did and it didnt look too complicated but then again lots of things look easier when u watch it get done. But the guy who installed it really knew what he was doing he asked me what spacers i wanted installed cuz he told me that he didnt want me ruining the tranny and he was all around a really good guy. But in response to your question i did not install it and it took someone who knew what they were doing about 45 minutes to get it all done and back together.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

I've read and reread the Shift Kit sticky and feel i have a good grasp of the install...but you never know when you actually get into it. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

yeah i have hptuners tune. a tech at work and i tuned it. he tunes cars on the side and is pretty damn good at it
Old 11-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Launching!

yea thats goin to be the next mod just need to find a place near me that does that kind of work
Old 11-24-2007, 09:47 AM

For anyone just wanting firmer shifts,You can tweak the EPC solenoid,Not sure on the new ones but the older ones are adjustable if you pull the side cover,Better yet stay clean and crank up the line pressure with a hand held,Not sure who makes them for these cars,But I'm sure someone here does.But be forwarned,These 4T65E transmissions are not the strongest pieces in the world,Too much pressure and you will strip the 4th clutch hub or the reaction shell,Can you say rebuild!Under normal use with lower line pressure as in the V6 cars they will throw an 1811 Max Adapt And Long Shift Code As low as 50k miles,That is when the transmission can no longer make the shift timing stay within the alotted parameters,Low EPC pressure,Worn clutches,Haven't seen any V8 4T65E's yet,Still new and the pressure is noticably higher from the factory,So mod at your own risk!
Old 11-24-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not sure what shift kit you used, but when I installed the intense shift kit in std mode (harsher shifts via diff spacer arrangements was an option) it would down shift almost instantly. I was very impressed. I did get the wot line pressure increased (on the advice of badss), because it would shudder once in a while on a wot upshift. That took care of the shudder. However, after a few months, a wot down shift into first at about 30-35 mph when the trans was very warmed up, would result in slippage bouncing the revs off the limiter for a second then a bang into first gear. Not good.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:21 PM

Not trying to spoil anybodies fun as I realize that you are after firmer shifts,But can you guys not get what you want within reason with just a tuner adjustment,Diablosport or someone must make something that you can adjust shift points and line pressure with.The only reason I even post this is because i know that these transmissions are not something you guys can pull out and build or repair in your driveway like an LS1 Z28 4L60E or something easy to pull,Just trying to save you some $ and headaches!Also had my car for 2 years and just now am starting to piddle with it so I'm looking for info also.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SILVER LS4
Not sure what shift kit you used, but when I installed the intense shift kit in std mode (harsher shifts via diff spacer arrangements was an option) it would down shift almost instantly. I was very impressed. I did get the wot line pressure increased (on the advice of badss), because it would shudder once in a while on a wot upshift. That took care of the shudder. However, after a few months, a wot down shift into first at about 30-35 mph when the trans was very warmed up, would result in slippage bouncing the revs off the limiter for a second then a bang into first gear. Not good.
Silver,
It sounds like you might of scored your 1-2 accumulator pin. A few of the shift kits out there that use the metal spacers have been known to do this. What happens is the metal spacer will were on the accumulator pin until it makes little grooves in it and when you hit the down shift the spacer will catch on these grooves until the line pressure increases enough to push the spacer back in place then the shift will happen, but when it does the pressure is pretty high. This is a good way to break the input shaft. That's why I will always recommend the ZZP shift kit. The spacers are a plastic material and they will not score the accumulator pins.
Tate