LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Fun Game! My Service Visit - Estimate how long I'll be without her!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

 “Tighten Gas Cap” message and corresponding CEL
- P0455 – EVAP Leak (Large)

Evap vent solenoid most likely

 (4) Windows Scratched due to bad window wipes
- Bulletin ID# 1866672

Easy to do - couple hours

 Clunk in Right-rear suspension
- Been in for service 4x already for this
- Not Hitch or STB or Bumper related
- Bad strut or bushing(s)?

As stated rear stab very links common on these

 Squeaky steering during low speed maneuvers
- Horn ring previously lubricated & ISS lubed…did not make a difference as sound was still there after leaving dealer. Steering Rack issue?

possibly the intermediate shaft boot not aligned correctly and rubbing on shaft--may be in column also--either is possible
 Keyless Entry & TPMS problems
- Document ID# 1973969
- Still no range after new receiver, antenna & fobs
- TPMS errors from time to time

you would not believe how many things can interfere with this system. anything electrical can do it...especially radar detectors, even a cell phone charging in the car...radio and cell phone towers are killer

 Battery - Occasional “no-start” condition and cannot use flashers or radio for more than 10-15min w/o needing a jump

replace battery

 Engine whining at idle - does not get louder when driving or turning, though.
- PS Pump? Water pump?

need to hear...sorry

 Creak from engine area when putting in drive/park/reverse
- Engine/trans mount?

possible not properly torqued control arm bolts or rack bolts... sometimes it is necessary to lube the rack bushings and retorque

 Creak from shifter only when moving into Park – different from above.

you got this one

Don't quote me...I know nothing...
Old 11-11-2007, 07:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hopefully they give you a loaner
Old 11-12-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got my car back this afternoon. They fixed everything and then some.
3 Bearings and Wheel Hubs , Power seat motor , Intermediate steering shaft.
At first they lubed it but luckily when they test drove it they still felt the poping and just replaced the whole shaft. Hopefully this last a while dot dot dot. Also they didn't say anything about fixing my power window but my passenger window always rolled up slower then the driver window and it would make a noise like it was slowing down every half second now they both roll up at the same speed together , Weird ?
Old 11-12-2007, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

hmm i seem to be getting the same clunking issue with my monte.... and the windows go up awfully slow... and i cant lock or unlock my car unless im right next to it... even with the back up key fob..... hmmm...i just got it back from the dealer for getting a new battery...the other one was dead
Old 11-12-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea we have all had the problem with limited range with the keyfobs. Just take it in and they will replace a antenna , keyfobs and a module. Even after they fixed all that on my car my range still isnt as great as my other cars.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

hmm ok cool

oh and BTW they still dont update the records with mygmlink.com

i had the car at the dealer 7 times already lol
Old 11-12-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

That website dosnt even show i bought my vechicle , It says "if you just purchased your vechicle it make take several weeks for it to be in our database" well i've had my car 2 years now :-\\\

If you purchased your vehicle within the last 60 days, your VIN will not be in our system at this time. Please click on the link below.

Last edited by Sint3k; 11-12-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, it's been giving me that same message for over a year now. WTF???
Old 11-13-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

Wow...mygmlink is A-OK for me and has been since the day i bought it.

The battery is worse than i thought...i had winter tires installed yesterday, and during the relearn procedure (done myself @ home) with the radio on in accessory mode, the car would not start afterwards. Took about 4 minutes to do the relearn and the car had been driven for 30 min. prior. I'm going to stop by AZ to have them test it before i get it replaced. I want to make sure the dealer doesn't try to say "seems OK to us!"

Anyway, Petey...do you have tinted windows? (EDIT: looked at your sig...they appear to be). Mine are, and it adds to the strain on the system. They go up 1/2 as fast as my father's 03 Imp LS w/no tint...different car, i know, but those things still shoot up to the top in no time.

Regarding the keyfobs...Silver gave me a new tech bulletin ID for a keyfob & BCM reprogram which may help with the range issue (even after the new receiver, fobs & antenna)...i'll get that number and post it shortly.

Anyway, my Unc wasn't working at his dealer today, so i'm dropping it off next Monday for a full day of service (by him, hopefully) next Tuesday.

In the mean time, i get to fight with Midas about the gouges they put in two of my wheels during the tire install...***king amatures! I knew there was a reason i never went there for anything important. Didn't think they'd fubar something like this.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Wow...mygmlink is A-OK for me and has been since the day i bought it.

The battery is worse than i thought...i had winter tires installed yesterday, and during the relearn procedure (done myself @ home) with the radio on in accessory mode, the car would not start afterwards. Took about 4 minutes to do the relearn and the car had been driven for 30 min. prior. I'm going to stop by AZ to have them test it before i get it replaced. I want to make sure the dealer doesn't try to say "seems OK to us!"
Just do what I did. Pull into the dealer, pull the service guy over to your car. Turn on everything you can possibly imagine...lights, hazzard flashers, high beams, rear defroster, radio, heater fan on high and heated seats. I bet you it will take less than 30 secs to kill the battery to a point were the car will only click when you try and start it. A good indication point that I used was the indicator lights for the heated seats actually shut off. From that point on I knew the car would not start. Then you tell them.....THIS IS NOT NORMAL! CHANGE MY FRICKING BATTERY ALREADY, BEFORE I TAKE IT OUT MYSELF AND LAUNCH IT THROUGHT YOUR SHOWROOM WINDOW! Just kidding about the second part, but I will know your thinking about it! LOL Good luck...

PS With the new battery I can easily listen to my radio for over and hour and a half while washing my car and no problems to fire her back up.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't EVER leave my Monte overnight... I put my list of items together, then break it down... prioritize it... get the important stuff done - like steering rack, ISS, etc etc... little squeeky **** can wait till the next service visit...

I tell them I have to be outta there by a certain time... I want at least this this and this done, and if they can't get to the other stuff, it can wait til next time. they give me a loaner if it's gonna be a while, but I've never left my car there...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-14-2007, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Wow...mygmlink is A-OK for me and has been since the day i bought it......

Anyway, Petey...do you have tinted windows? (EDIT: looked at your sig...they appear to be). Mine are, and it adds to the strain on the system. They go up 1/2 as fast as my father's 03 Imp LS w/no tint...different car, i know, but those things still shoot up to the top in no time.

Regarding the keyfobs...Silver gave me a new tech bulletin ID for a keyfob & BCM reprogram which may help with the range issue (even after the new receiver, fobs & antenna)...i'll get that number and post it shortly.

yeah thier tinted lol..

and BTW that clunking noise/ feeling in the steering wheel and pedald is wayy worse after the trip to sacramento...

feels like a wheel is gunna fall off lol... i checked the lugs.. thier all tight so

ima take it in when im back in fresno... if i make it..
Old 11-15-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, i'm going to prioritize the items at the new dealer. When i called to schedule the appt., i told them only about the clunk, battery and one other thing. When i go in Monday night, i'm going to show them the list and say "you've got two days to get as much done as possible" and leave a copy of the list in the car for my uncle to look at.

They did ask if it was my first time there and if i bought it there...i'm sure that got me placed at the bottom of that day's list already.

And yesterday, when i was replacing my HID bulbs, i had my trunk open for 10 min and occasionally turned the headlights on and off to test them and she was dead again after that little time with very little usage. Something tells me that they'll have no trouble finding that the battery is bad.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

yeah buffalo, i took my monte in for the clunk and they ordered a new steering shaft :-\
Old 11-16-2007, 07:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I already had the ISS replaced MONTHS ago.. it didn't fix anything Petey... so, I'm getting a new steering rack put on next...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-21-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

OK, i dropped the car off Monday night for my Tuesday appt. I told them they had until tonight to get done what they can, but i needed the car back for the holiday weekend. I drove with the shop foreman to show him the not-so-obvious problems. He immediately noticed the clunk, the engine whine, and the squeaky steering. I also showed him the creaky shifter and the scratched windows. I mentioned the issue with the battery, and he said "if it's anything like the S10, you're lucky to get 10 min out of it." I said "wow, that's crazy...but on a 2006MY vehicle it's not acceptable." That worried me, but all else went smoothly. The service writer seemed to get an attitude that i had called about only 2 or three problems, and now my list is THIS long...oh well, so be it.

Here's the rundown i got from the service manager yesterday afternoon:

CEL for EVAP system/gas cap - Replaced EVAP solenoid...should do the trick

Battery issue - "Battery is toast. We did a load test and it dropped to ZERO in an instant" - New battery

Rear defroster - connections @ grid melted - replaced - I'll ask WHY this happened when i go there today.

Clunk in rear susp. - Sway bar endlinks and bushings replaced - "It was so obvious that we cannot believe they (other dealer) could not find the problem" - In their defense...the problem may not have been this bad 10,000 miles ago.

Engine whine - 2 (or 4...can't remember) idler pulleys need to be replaced. Need to be ordered

Keyless entry issues - "Should be fixed with the new battery"

Window scratches - Glass to be replaced (needs to be ordered) but tint is my issue - I'm OK with this, though...they've been great so far and this gives me an opportunity to get the tint done right afterall.

Squeaky steering - could not diagnose as of yesterday afternoon w/o road testing - once battery & sway bar done, they'd get into that

Creak from engine bay - was not diagnosed as of yesterday afternoon. I had a hard time replicating the noise, so this may not get done at all.

Creak from shifter - FIxed - don't know what was wrong but i believe it was the shifter-on-bezel rubbing that i proposed

So by this afternoon, i should have 80% completed and get my car back, and will schedule another visit to replace the glass & pulleys. These guys were great, and i don't think my uncle even touched the car. His presence may have helped get everything done in the limited amount of time they had, but it's possible that this is just what a good dealer's service dept. is really like
Old 11-21-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

So is the battery a warranty-able part? My battery is toast and I was wondering if this would be covered. (good thing I carpool with my roommate to work)
Old 11-21-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good for you! I would hope and expect Dealerships would require public facing employee’s like the service writers to be able to contain there obvious disdain for the customer. I’ve had my fair share of issues with inept writers.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

uh...............
Old 11-21-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, Bill...i agree. I understand from a scheduling point of view, they'd like to know all that they're doing on the car...but for the first time at a new dealer, i didn't want to get pushed to the next day (or week) by scaring them with a list of more than fixable issues.

I was just told that my uncle is installing the battery now (just arrived) and will road-test the car to see what the steering wheel squeak is all about. We'll see what happens. I'm hoping to get there at 5pm to pick her up while they're still there...might have a case of beer in hand to thank them, too

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
So is the battery a warranty-able part? My battery is toast and I was wondering if this would be covered. (good thing I carpool with my roommate to work)
Yeah, your battery is covered under the B2B original warranty....or at least MINE is

Quick Reply: Fun Game! My Service Visit - Estimate how long I'll be without her!