LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Fun Game! My Service Visit - Estimate how long I'll be without her!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fun Game! My Service Visit - Estimate how long I'll be without her!

Alright, this should be a fun game to play! I'm going to schedule a service visit for the SS next Wednesday. Let's estimate how many of the following 9 issues will be fixed when i get it back, and how long it will take to do so? There are two bonus questions: "How many of these items will they say are completely normal?" and "How many of these items will not be able to be replicated by the service tech?"

Here's the list of problems that i can remember atm:

Problems:

 “Tighten Gas Cap” message and corresponding CEL
- P0455 – EVAP Leak (Large)

 (4) Windows Scratched due to bad window wipes
- Bulletin ID# 1866672

 Clunk in Right-rear suspension
- Been in for service 4x already for this
- Not Hitch or STB or Bumper related
- Bad strut or bushing(s)?

 Squeaky steering during low speed maneuvers
- Horn ring previously lubricated & ISS lubed…did not make a difference as sound was still there after leaving dealer. Steering Rack issue?

 Keyless Entry & TPMS problems
- Document ID# 1973969
- Still no range after new receiver, antenna & fobs
- TPMS errors from time to time

 Battery
- Occasional “no-start” condition and cannot use flashers or radio for more than 10-15min w/o needing a jump

 Engine whining at idle - does not get louder when driving or turning, though.
- PS Pump? Water pump?

 Creak from engine area when putting in drive/park/reverse
- Engine/trans mount?

 Creak from shifter only when moving into Park – different from above.

Have fun! I know i will!
Old 11-08-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

They must really love to see you.

2 fix, 5 can't duplicate, 2 normal.

Good luck.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, i'm sure they do

I mentioned before that my uncle is a service tech at another Chevy dealer some 30-45min away...but i don't want to bug him to look at all this stuff. I don't know what a tech makes for warranty work, if it's different than the other stuff they do, of if there is any benefit to him at all, but i know other dealers are reluctant to spend a lot of time on a car that was bought elsewhere.

When i told him of my clunking issue a few months ago, he said to bring him the car, he'd order new strut towers and see if that's the issue. If that's the case, i can see them blaming it on the STB i have back there. It might have to come off before she goes in, just to avoid the hassle.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Just put in a turbo will make you forget about all the problems......
Old 11-08-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just took mine in today for clunking in steering and Power seat not working. This will make my 6th Trip to a dealer. Good luck , as for the whining sound see if it only happens when your AC is on. by the way your AC will run while in defrost mode and not sure what other modes but the AC is a variable AC and makes noise depending on how hard its working.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
When i told him of my clunking issue a few months ago, he said to bring him the car, he'd order new strut towers and see if that's the issue. If that's the case, i can see them blaming it on the STB i have back there. It might have to come off before she goes in, just to avoid the hassle.

I might take my rear one off too before it take it in just on the off chance that noise mine is making in the rear is related to that. Maybe we have a similiar problem? I still can't think of an accurate way to describe the noise.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

I knew i forgot a problem on that list! I'll need to add the "my turbo just doesn't seem to be working anymore" complaint on that list.

Sint3k - I haven't specifically played with the A/C control, but i'm pretty sure i've had the system completely off and still have the whine. I'll check later and play with the settings to see if it affects it. It's your typical PS whine (or groan)...but if you go lock-to-lock with the steering wheel, it doesn't change. It also doesn't get louder with speed, like it did when the PS hose developed the leak last winter/spring.

20SS07 - My clunk could be considered a "knock" as well. It happened whenever i go over uneven pavement, bumpy roads, or turn into or out of a raised driveway approach. It has gotten worse over time. At first i thought it was the OEM exhaust swaying around and knocking into the bumper cutouts or maybe even hitting the sway bar (someone with a GXP had that problem), so i bought new isolators that hold the exhaust on the hangers. That didn't help. When i installed the Magnaflow, i tried to swing it into the bumper or rear frame rail (with the new tips) and i couldn't get the same sound.

Someone said it might be the trailing or lateral arm bushings...which i haven't looked at very closely. Been meaning to, just haven't.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

leaking any antifreeze?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Nope...not that i've noticed.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

I had the window issue, assuming they have the windows, and they retint it for you (if tinted), 2 days for that one. Else just one day.

If you learn anything from their Wireless issue, please let us know. My range really kinda sucks since I've had mine "upgraded".
Old 11-08-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well got a call from my dealership earlyer. They are replacing the ISS , 3 wheel hubs for excessive play , and the power motor in the seat. The excessive play is probably from the accidents i've had and the extreme conditions the wheels have been put under from the 360's after hitting a deer.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't forget. . . big brother is watching
Old 11-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

most of the clunks ive had in past cars have been the ball joints. have u checked those?
or maybe theses cars cant handle the v8 abuse?
Old 11-09-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Junkie

I say 2-3 weeks....service dept's suck.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

there is a fix for the steering issue. most dealers just hit it with the grease and call it good.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Teching In

My car has had three of the problems your having and this is the results of visits to the dealer.

 Clunk in Right-rear suspension
- Been in for service 4x already for this
- Not Hitch or STB or Bumper related
- Bad strut or bushing(s)?

- Technicial was able to reproduce. Changed Right rear sway bar end link. Small ball joint at either end had play in them. Problem solved!

 Keyless Entry & TPMS problems
- Document ID# 1973969
- Still no range after new receiver, antenna & fobs
- TPMS errors from time to time

Car went in at the same time for this problem as the above problem. Solution...change the module that receives the signals for those two systems. There is a technical bulletin number floating around somewhere here for this issue. Problem solved!

 Battery
- Occasional “no-start” condition and cannot use flashers or radio for more than 10-15min w/o needing a jump

After multiple visits at the dealer and a few heated discussions (see my old threads) they finally replaced the crappy original battery with a slightly larger (CCA wise) battery. Problem Solved! I can't believe you still haven't brought you car in for that problem......that would have drove me crazy not knowing when and if my car would start.

All in all, I have to give the dealer credit, cause for the most part they did a good job.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info, Ken. Did your clunk/knock occur when riding over uneven pavement or turning into driveways and such? That's primarily when mine occurs...when the weight shifts side to side back there.

For the Keyless issue...i also had that work performed...it just didn't help a damn thing. With the battery, i've only had it not start once (so using the term "occasional" might be fibbing a bit) but i agree with you, not knowing when i'd have to double-park and not be able to start it after a few minutes irks me as well. I just haven't had the time to be without the car for as long as i expect it to take.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Thanks for the info, Ken. Did your clunk/knock occur when riding over uneven pavement or turning into driveways and such? That's primarily when mine occurs...when the weight shifts side to side back there.

Yes it was clunking exactly as you said. It was a slight clunk, but still noticable and bothersome to me. I was able to reproduce the noise from outside the car by grabbing the right rear tire and giving it a good shake to get the car moving side to side. Also when driving slow, if I cranked the steering wheel from side to side like doing a slalom, I could get it to make the sound. Personally I never even thought of the sway bar end link. I thought it was a loose wheel bearing, after all it had all the signs. Glad to say finally everything is perfect in my car at least for now.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm. My noise doesn't do it if I shake the car from side to side, and I also tried the slalom like move and didn't get it there either. Guess I have a different problem than what you had and potentially Buff has.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

I've already located the source of the creaky shifter. The black plastic that slides with the shifter is rubbing against the black plastic sides of the shifter bezel. I can't tell exactly where, but i didn't spend much time with it. I'm going to take it apart and try to clean up the little bit of dirt that has accumulated in there to see if that makes a difference.

So far, Chris - 1, Dealer - 0

Quick Reply: Fun Game! My Service Visit - Estimate how long I'll be without her!