LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

One clunking front end.. 2 dealers.. outcome..

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One clunking front end.. 2 dealers.. outcome..

so i took my monte in this morning to the dealer where i bought it at... i walk in this morning and tell them what the cars doing and they look at me like im a complete idiot... and then they say, no appointment, sorry.. so i said screw u guys im not coming here again

so i drive to the other chevrolet dealer 10 minutes away and they were empty... and i tell them whats going on and the advisor quickly says "oh so its making that clunking/rubbing sensation on the steering wheel when u turn?" i said yes, and he quickly replied with " oh yeah the 06 monte carlos and impala's have that issue, dont worry well check it out"

3 hours later i go back and i get the car, the advisor said he had to order a new "shaft" FP# 10376428 for the car. he says the cars not unsafe like that, and i will be fine and the part should be thier next wednsday

so all in all i think i know what dealer ima go to for now on!
Old 11-16-2007, 03:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine fixed few days ago no more clunking wonderfull feeling. Its crazy how used to it i got i forgot what it was like to have smooth steering. I still have a alignment problem she pulls to the right abit. I'll have that fixed after i put my r1concepts on :x
Old 11-16-2007, 05:21 AM
TECH Junkie

What part is the cause? And I take mine to a dealer that I didn't by the car from.
Much better service!!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

they're talking about the Intermediate Steering Shaft... BUT... that doesn't always fix it... they replaced mine months ago and I still have the same problem.. . so next they're installing a whole new steering rack...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-16-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

...which will no doubt not fix the issue you're having. For those not familiar with W-bodies, the ISS is and has been such a common, nagging problem in these cars for so many years. 06Monte is just getting a new rack and will likely NOT fix the problem for long. It would be awesome if it does, though ;D
Old 11-16-2007, 08:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah, who wouldn't want a new rack to play with once in a while...

seriously though, the reason they're doing the new rack is because even right after they replaced the ISS, when driving it out of the service bay it was still making the same noise, so that's why they said it's the rack. so here's hopin'!!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-16-2007, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

yeah, well see what happens then, im sure thier gunna drive it after they replace it.....
Old 11-19-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

I think my ISS needs to be replaced too...since the lubing did not completely stop the clunk/squeak either. I've got a high-pitched squeak during low-speed maneuvers, too, and someone at CGP said that theirs did as well and turned out to be the rack.

I'm dropping her off at the dealer tonight with the list from the other thread (plus two other issues...the ISS/rack and the rear defroster not working AGAIN). We'll see if i have better results.

Good luck, Petey.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
I think my ISS needs to be replaced too...since the lubing did not completely stop the clunk/squeak either. I've got a high-pitched squeak during low-speed maneuvers, too, and someone at CGP said that theirs did as well and turned out to be the rack.

I'm dropping her off at the dealer tonight with the list from the other thread (plus two other issues...the ISS/rack and the rear defroster not working AGAIN). We'll see if i have better results.

Good luck, Petey.

thanks buffalo..

the service advisor called me today and the parts in from michigan.. and im gunna go in friday morning so they can replace it..

ill keep u all posted!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Is this the same issue that the my 96 Grand prix had with the bearings on the rack
clunking? If so they had a recall on that problem. But my GP was not included
Old 11-21-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think so. This is solely an issue with the steering shaft between the rack and the steering wheel.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

well i took it in at 7 am... at 1030 i picked it up and no more clunking

soooo looks like problem solved..

hmm lol
Old 11-24-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Glad you seem to have gotten it right the first time 'round!
Old 11-26-2007, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Glad you seem to have gotten it right the first time 'round!

yeah i know

except the technician left his tools on my floor board and forgot to put the clips back on under the dash

all in all it was ok..

got a free wrench outta it

Quick Reply: One clunking front end.. 2 dealers.. outcome..