LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

HID Conversion Kit For Monte

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Conversion Kit For Monte

hey guys im tryin to do some exterior work on my monte and im going to eventually paint the mirror housing summit white like the car, and im also going to paint the interior of the headlight housing, and im wanting to get some HID's, and i been looking for a good conversion kit...

i found these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XENON...em320186678783

i did do a search but i didnt find these exact ones..

what do u guys think?
Old 12-04-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

While i've seen a lot of low priced "crap" on eBay, i wouldn't go that low...seems dangerously low IMO. A lot of guys say to only buy the $400-500 brand name kits, like hella and philips, but i got mine for much less and (knock on wood) they've been great so far.

MikeJohnson @ NAIOA is a sponsor there and sells great kits. Everyone has been satisfied thus far, and he's running a Christmas sale atm. $139 to your door. I've only purchased HID bulbs from him but have been extremely satisfied with his product and service. I will eventually buy a complete kit for the fogs...likely sometime after christmas.

Not sure what light output you're looking for...but i'd go no higher than 6000k. I had the 8000k to start, but they're too blue (at the housing) and attract too much attention. The 6000k are a little less noticeable (again, at the housing) and provide better overall output. However, when i buy a new kit from Mike, i'll be purchasing them in the 4300k temp and getting a matching set of 4300k bulbs for my current setup.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd definately stay away from an HID kit that costs the same as a set of Silverstars. Like Buff said you should look into getting a kit from MikeJohnson from over at NAIOA. I plan on getting one from him once I'm ready to get a kit.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Damn I really want HIDs. Would like nice on the Imp. The stock headlights are pretty good though, way better than the ones on my T/A. I don't think its technically legal for me to put them on my car here in Cali though. And I don't want to spend the money and just have to take them off later. Stupid California laws.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

I'm putting 4300k HID's I picked up locally for $145 with lifetime warranty (This most likely means for as long as this company is in business...lol) will let you know how it goes.

At the moment I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to disable my DRL's and also my lights flash when I lock/unlock the car but I think I can disable that in a menu on the DIC. For now I will most likely just turn the lights on all the time so I don't burn out the ballasts.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

In the Imp, you can yank the DRL fuse with no adverse reaction, and you can change the flashing lights through the DIC.

SSWS6, HID kits are illegal everywhere...but i understand that Cali is worse than the others.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

well they arent illigal if they are the same light output as an exotic car... and yeah i was gunna get the 6K.. my step bro bought those for his 06 SI civic and installed them himself.. but he bought the "McCullogh" brand... so yeah ill hit up mike johnson about them...

do any of u know if the monte has a DRL fuse in it?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am agreeing with Buff. Pretty sure HIDs are illegal everywhere if they did not come standard on the car. Additionally cheap HIDs (even up to the 300-400 range) do not give real HID light. It gives dispersed crap that blinds the oncoming drivers. . ..another reason they are illegal. I am not saying a lot of people don't have them, a lot of people have illegal tint too, but I am pretty sure they aren't acceptable per most city codes.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea technically they're illegal everywhere if the car did no come equipped with them. However, if you have 6000k or below for the most part you'll probably be okay. Anything more and you really start to draw attention to yourself. And regarding the DRL fuse, yes it should have it as well since the Imp does and basically everything is identical. It's located in the fuse box under the hood, I forget the location of it though, its marked as DRL1. I think there is something labeled DRL2 as well however there isn't actually a fuse in that location.

EDIT: SSWS6, if you don't want to get HID's you could also look into getting a set of PIAA headlight bulbs. Retail they're like 80 bucks which is a ripoff, but you can find good deals on ebay. I got 2 sets for 75 bucks total. One for the fogs and one for my lows. Obviously they won't be anything near HID's, but they still look nice and give inreased visibility, on par with what Silverstar Ultras would provide. Just something to consider.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Buff: why illegal? Both of my other cars have them from the factory....so if they're not fact. optoions = illegal???
Old 12-05-2007, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

well they arent illigal if they are the same light output as an exotic car...
That's not true...they're illegal, period.

If the car did not come with them from the factory, an HID upgrade is illegal...unless it's a stock housing upgrade from a halogen to HID kit (i.e. if it was a factory housing option that you installed later).

I didn't emphasize "kit" in my original post...should have clarified.

Additionally cheap HIDs (even up to the 300-400 range) do not give real HID light.
That's also not true...it's not the bulb, it's the housing. Each housing is developed for the type of lighting it is throwing...it's the diffusers and reflectors that throw the light all over the place. All in all, i'm happy with mine (McCulloch kit (cost $230)...mikejohnson 6000k bulbs ($40)). They put out great light, and i've never gotten flashed by oncoming drivers (which i hear is a problem with the GXP's and their OEM lighting).

Last edited by BuffaloSS; 12-05-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=
I got 2 sets for 75 bucks total. One for the fogs and one for my lows. Obviously they won't be anything near HID's, but they still look nice and give inreased visibility, on par with what Silverstar Ultras would provide. Just something to consider.[/QUOTE]

who was the seller? lol

i was looking for those 2 sets and all i can find are single sets for 65 bucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PIAA-...spagenameZWDVW
Old 12-05-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZpmooretx

I THINK that was the was the seller I got them from. He hasn't had any for sale since I got mine. Looking back I wish I would have bought a couple more sets for only 35 bucks a piece. At the time I got mine he had a whole assortment of PIAA bulbs. They were probably stolen or something lol. I've never seen anyone even come close to that price.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

lol stolen.. thats funny

u never know... ahahaha...