LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

custom FWI for gxp

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007 | 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default custom FWI for gxp

because $200 is way too much for an intake

Last edited by deft; 12-30-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2007 | 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

Not to bad looking deft. You can always try and get one of the smooth bellows from SLP to replace the stock accordion piece going to the TB.
Tate
Old 12-30-2007 | 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Make sure to put in a bypass valve before you drive too much, that will help save your engine when it tries to suck up water.
Old 12-31-2007 | 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

does that part from slp have the bung in it for the sensor? thats kinda why i didnt mess with that part, i didnt want to have to worry about drilling a hole in my pipe and attaching it.

as for water getting in.....its all closed off inside the fender, so it wouldnt pull in anymore than atmosphere moisture which the stock setup would be accountable for as well. what does the bypass valve you speak of look like/do in this situation?
Old 12-31-2007 | 11:49 AM
Teching In

Yes. SLP bellows includes sensor bung. Here's the link: http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=21042
Old 12-31-2007 | 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

holy $55 batman! thats just a 45 degree coupler with a hole in it. this would work for $20 plus i can drill a hole. The question is: is this really necessary? is the idea to smooth out the air stream? if so im not sure 3" of accordian is gonna kill my flow
Old 12-31-2007 | 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

It isn't going to necessarlity kill your intake but the most volume, at the highest velocity, is optimal. These car makers do everything in their power to make the engine as quiet as possible also, the accordian dampens the "whoop" sound when you have more air flow.
Old 12-31-2007 | 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by importandy
It isn't going to necessarlity kill your intake but the most volume, at the highest velocity, is optimal. These car makers do everything in their power to make the engine as quiet as possible also, the accordian dampens the "whoop" sound when you have more air flow.
The funny thing is, any CAI or aftermarket induction piece I have installed on my rides or someone else's, the first comment everyone has is always about sound. People think it sounds BA when the engine starts sucking wind in the high RPMS.....who would have thunken to make it quieter?
Old 12-31-2007 | 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

deft, PM me about this mod.

The only problem I can see with it is that any water that comes up will get sucked in. Other then that, it looks sweet.
Old 01-02-2008 | 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Taz34SS
deft, PM me about this mod.

The only problem I can see with it is that any water that comes up will get sucked in. Other then that, it looks sweet.
...And the fact that the metal tubing will heat the incoming air, likely negating any hp gains. But the K&N isn't much better for the price.

...But i bet yours sounds nice.
Old 01-04-2008 | 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

the air does not stay stagnant in the pipe anywhere near long enough to heat it IF the pipe did get hot which it really doesnt. aluminum dissipates heat very well.

as for the water thing....the filter is in a closed fender on all sides, and it is as high as the headlight. If the engine portion of my car is headlight high in water--i have more serious problems than my intake.

as for gains, low end maybe slightly better, certainly no worse, high end gains are where i benefit. Sound is amazing--like a demon. its crappy out so i drive like a grandma mostly--fuel economy is slightly easier to achieve reasonable numbers, approximately 1 mpg improvement if im nice to the accelerator
Old 01-04-2008 | 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deft
the air does not stay stagnant in the pipe anywhere near long enough to heat it IF the pipe did get hot which it really doesnt. aluminum dissipates heat very well.

as for the water thing....the filter is in a closed fender on all sides, and it is as high as the headlight. If the engine portion of my car is headlight high in water--i have more serious problems than my intake.
The bumper/fender don't protect it very much believe it or not. In my last car the intake went to a similar location. A lot of guys sucked up water and seized their engines. I just put in a foam bypass valve for $20 and i didn't have any problems.
Old 01-13-2008 | 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

the bypass valve negates any higher flow rates you might achieve with an intake.....there is only one hole where water could get in and i am scheming a solution to fix that.

i did lots of research on the topic of hydrolocking engines and the consensus was as long as you dont drive your car in unreasonable amounts of water you will be fine. trace amounts of water can go into your intake and they often do....aftermarket or otherwise.
Old 01-25-2008 | 04:29 PM
On The Tree

I had a custom fenderwell intake on my 02 GTP. For the connections (bellows) I used a rubber sewer coupler from Home Depot and cut a small hole for the sensor. It never sucked up water but got real dirty. I would wash it in the spring and fall. Well worth $50 just for a KN filter and some PVC tubing.
Old 05-18-2011 | 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Can anyone provide the specs on the length of piping and the rubber connections.

Looks like I will need a 3 inch exhaust pipe, a mandrel bent pipe, and 2 home depot special 3 inch plumbing hoses?
Old 05-18-2011 | 07:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nasscargxp
Yes. SLP bellows includes sensor bung. Here's the link: http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=21042
link is borken
Old 05-18-2011 | 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes please PM me what you used. Will do the same thing.

And about the sucking water in..where do people drive?? I had a CAI fender well intake on my 94 just like this close to the ground and never rode through water..

Quick Reply: custom FWI for gxp