LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Its official!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its official!

I dont know how many of you got the same mail but here it is. I better start saving my pennies.

Hi Chris,

The turbo kit is ready! We’re shipping right now. Here’s a brief rundown of what the kit comes with.... kit pricing is set at $5400 + 150 shipping.

8 x 42lb fuel injectors

Custom PCM tune

Turbonetics T-66 turbo

Turbonetics Evolution Wastegate

All piping mandrel bent, ceramic or Powder coated.

Cartuning W body intercooler

50mm Blow off valve

K and N air filter

High flow catalytic converter

DMH electric exhaust cutout with cabin remote switch

4T-65E shift kit

Lokar stainless flexible transmission dipstick

All PCV solutions

Direct bolt to stock exhaust

Full alky injection system

Fuel Pump rewire - racetronix

No cutting/welding required, can bring car back to stock with no problems

Turbo kit produces about 450whp(570 crank) from 250whp stock.

We still see stock or better gas mileage with the kit, on 91 octane minimum

required. The turbo really does increase efficiency, and DOD is left in tact.

We truly believe that this is the most complete turbo kit out on the market

today. Who else will give you a shift kit for your car with your turbo kit?

We feel this is an "all in one box" power solution that will give you amazing

performance, economy, and value.

Please don't hesitate to call or email with any other questions... or an

order.

Kevin Margitta, Lead Engineer

Cartuning Performance

www.cartuning.ca
Old 03-15-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I got the same email. Who's going first??
Old 03-15-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good to see that this is getting into production. Price isn't too bad, claimed power is awesome. GXPJAY will be getting some company I'll have to think seriously about whether I want to do this.

Wonder if Kevin is open to some delete options:
I'd do my own tune.
Don't need a high flow cat, already have the Hogan DP.
Not drag racing, don't see the need for an electric cut-out (although this is an interesting inclusion in the kit that many will want )
I don't really care about a shift kit (just a personal preference).
Needs alky injection on premium, huh. Wonder how much boost you have to give up to eliminate the need for this - and probably still have more power than you could use in a DD.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now, when he says custom PCM tune, is he talking about the ECM/TCM or is he thinking that we only have the PCM?

Honestly, I would rather put 1/2 that into getting headers for our cars. Yes a turbo would be great, but the main problem with these cars is the intake and exhaust headers, along with the cross over pipe. ONce you fix that, the sky is the limit.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

little scary, to much power for this transmission
Old 03-15-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, i would do this, but I think my trans would go kaput in no time!
Old 03-15-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

You would need to upgrade the Trans at the sametime or that 5400K + your spending on the turbo will just be a waste.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:44 AM

I really want to hit the go button on this mod - but I'm just not sure what type of transmission work I would need to go along with it. Has anyone done any transmission upgrades yet?

Should I be looking at a whole new transmission or just having certain things rebuilt/upgraded on it?

I know GXPJAY had some work done to his trans but I don't know exactly what. Any suggestions would be appreciated . I just want to make sure that I know everything that I am going to need to have done before I make the purchase, so that I can find a good shop to do it all for me.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

To be on the safe side tranny work is always the best thing to do when modifying these cars from the V6's to the V8's it's the same principal, heck some people can't get the tranny's on a stock motor to last.

What we did on mine:

-300m Dynotech Input shaft
-3.29 gears with 15/16th chain
-better shift kits for 1-2 and 2-3
-4th gear shift kit
-Valve Body upgrades
-full new Zpak clutches and steels from raybestos

I think that's pretty much it.....pretty standard stuff to get done when you redo the trans.

I guarantee that if anyone is thinking about going turbo, just getting a ride in my car would seal the deal.

Taz34SS
You're 2k spent on headers will 100% not give you anywhere near even a 1/4 the results as this kit. And Kevin has been tuning my car for a year and a half, he's always fine tuning this and that just to make it that much better so when folks mail order a kit he can have the tune pretty much bang on. Changes in the ECM and TCM are done. We get together a couple times a week to see how the car is holding up over time and if I think we need to make changes to the PCM/TCM etc. it's great.

TiredGXP
The kit I believe it sold as a package, you can't pick and choose since it's a production kit and all piping etc. are all made. But you couldn't use your Hogan downpipe because it gets fully replaced, you will want to have the cutout even for 100% street driving trust me, you will need the shift kit and the alky is there for insurance as well incase you get a tank of bad gas or it's colder out and it's running a bit more boost/more power you don't need to worry.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Default ...and I was making so much progress.

Oh great…thanks a lot.

I bought this car with the thought of using it only as a well appointed, comfortable 4 door grocery getting, dog carrying, road tripper and daily driver: a sedate quiet blend in type car that doesn’t raise the eyebrows of the local Gendarmerie yet can nail down a quarter mile in the 13s if needed and still have low insurance costs…and now this.

I was almost there…

Voices in head: “You will not modify this car. You will not modify this car. You will not modify this car…um, whoa…a turbo kit…!!!”

Oh well, back to the psychiatrist…
Old 03-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GFXSS
I really want to hit the go button on this mod - but I'm just not sure what type of transmission work I would need to go along with it. Has anyone done any transmission upgrades yet?

Should I be looking at a whole new transmission or just having certain things rebuilt/upgraded on it?

I know GXPJAY had some work done to his trans but I don't know exactly what. Any suggestions would be appreciated . I just want to make sure that I know everything that I am going to need to have done before I make the purchase, so that I can find a good shop to do it all for me.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.
Although Jay got transmissions modifications done... his car held up extremely well for the year that it was turbocharged BEFORE upgrading. Upgrades were done for insurance, not necessity...

It's safe to say that transmission issues CAN happen, as we've seen with completely stock LS4 cars. For the most part, you'll find that a shift kit (like the one provided with the turbo system) will really decrease shift times far beyond what "pressure modifications" can do in the TCM. My personal car has nothing else but a shfit kit and trans cooler, makes over 430whp, is daily driven HARD (but not like I just stole it) and at 50k still feels like brand new.

You can destroy a stock trans just backing out of your driveway at 5mph, and switching from reverse to drive enough times without hitting the brake. Changing the direction of rotation internal to the trans with 4000lbs of force is pretty hard on splines. Not beating the living **** out of your car is what will keep it working extremely well for years, regardless of horsepower.

The only other point on this topic is track time. If you frequent the track a lot, and load the trans with a lot of traction (slicks, etc) at 400+whp levels, you can break something. This kit is intended for the street, and although you can take the car to the track for 100 safe passes, you're taking a chance that something "could" go wrong. Many of our V6 cars have been to the track for 100 passes with no issues.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GXPJAY
Taz34SS
You're 2k spent on headers will 100% not give you anywhere near even a 1/4 the results as this kit. And Kevin has been tuning my car for a year and a half, he's always fine tuning this and that just to make it that much better so when folks mail order a kit he can have the tune pretty much bang on. Changes in the ECM and TCM are done. We get together a couple times a week to see how the car is holding up over time and if I think we need to make changes to the PCM/TCM etc. it's great.
Thats not the point, what I was saying is if you had headers then you wouldve been making more power with your turbo and the headers. Also, my other point would be to spend less then that on headers and bolt ons and not have to worry about upgrading the trans. With this kit, you might aswell do the trans at the sametime or your just asking for it.

Last thing was on the PCM. It was just posted PCM, where I did not see a ECM/TCM turning, so thats why i asked, maybe someone could only tune the PCM and not the newer cars with the ECM/TCM in it. Its all good, just wondering about these things.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by icicleboy
Although Jay got transmissions modifications done... his car held up extremely well for the year that it was turbocharged BEFORE upgrading. Upgrades were done for insurance, not necessity...

It's safe to say that transmission issues CAN happen, as we've seen with completely stock LS4 cars. For the most part, you'll find that a shift kit (like the one provided with the turbo system) will really decrease shift times far beyond what "pressure modifications" can do in the TCM. My personal car has nothing else but a shfit kit and trans cooler, makes over 430whp, is daily driven HARD (but not like I just stole it) and at 50k still feels like brand new.

You can destroy a stock trans just backing out of your driveway at 5mph, and switching from reverse to drive enough times without hitting the brake. Changing the direction of rotation internal to the trans with 4000lbs of force is pretty hard on splines. Not beating the living **** out of your car is what will keep it working extremely well for years, regardless of horsepower.

The only other point on this topic is track time. If you frequent the track a lot, and load the trans with a lot of traction (slicks, etc) at 400+whp levels, you can break something. This kit is intended for the street, and although you can take the car to the track for 100 safe passes, you're taking a chance that something "could" go wrong. Many of our V6 cars have been to the track for 100 passes with no issues.
Would it also be safe to say that someone who has owned the car from day one or has taken care of the trans would be better off then someone who brought there car used and doesnt know how the last person took care of it?

I like the idea, but again I still feel with that anyone who buys this kit should just buy the upgrades for the trans aswell. Its just like the L67/L32 cars. Once you do so much, and then start to do a cam, smaller pulley ( 3.0 or smaller ) along with the normal mods, CAI, Headers, exhaust, Tune, intercooler, etc you might aswell as save up for a trans because you know with that cam or turbo in it, your going to beat it alot.

Again, this isnt a put down on the product, but more of a heads up to anyone thinking that this is truly 110% bolt on and the only thing they will ever need for there car.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Taz34SS
Thats not the point, what I was saying is if you had headers then you wouldve been making more power with your turbo and the headers. Also, my other point would be to spend less then that on headers and bolt ons and not have to worry about upgrading the trans. With this kit, you might aswell do the trans at the sametime or your just asking for it.

Last thing was on the PCM. It was just posted PCM, where I did not see a ECM/TCM turning, so thats why i asked, maybe someone could only tune the PCM and not the newer cars with the ECM/TCM in it. Its all good, just wondering about these things.
Both the PCM/TCM are reprogrammed.

Cast truck manifolds are used to make as much as 1500WHP on lsx motors. Cast manifolds are stronger, hold in the heat more (better for turbo), have less chance of cracking, and make the kit easier to install/remove.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

make that PCM/ECM/TCM

Also, when was the last time you have see cars at the rack, which are true race cars with stock intake manifolds?

When your talking about this kind of power, only true good ceramic coated headers would help IMHO. Thats why alot of the guys running twin turbos or bigger superchargers use ceramic coated headers over stock.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Logs are good for turbo app's like this, really if one wanted to you could slice off the bottom half of the manifolds on these cars weld 2.5-3' logs to run to the turbo, Coat them and have a very very potent setup. And yes you can weld the factory manifolds, been there done that.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Here's the bottom line, turbo kit has potential of over 500whp. You could have turbo headers or this or that or whatever. You could also have a 6L, or 7L block, or a better intake manifold, bigger throttle body, a RWD so you can get traction there's so many damn other things you "could" do but I am happy having a bolt on kit capable of over 500whp which is enough power to break things.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GXPJAY
Here's the bottom line, turbo kit has potential of over 500whp. You could have turbo headers or this or that or whatever. You could also have a 6L, or 7L block, or a better intake manifold, bigger throttle body, a RWD so you can get traction there's so many damn other things you "could" do but I am happy having a bolt on kit capable of over 500whp which is enough power to break things.
But would you be happy if your trans went

Alot of people just need to remember that the stock trans can only take so much before it will do that.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

What you are saying doesn't really make sense, first you say the kit isn't up to it's full potential because of non-ceramic coated manifolds/headers and then you talk about the stock trans can only take so much....... seems a little contradicting.

If you don't want issues, get the kit and leave things as it comes from Cartuning. If you're upgrading this and that and pushing the envelope of power above and beyond the stock kit or you go to the track often etc. then you upgrade the rest accordingly such as the trans.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

1. I was saying that YOUR car couldve been better if you had performance headers to go with your turbo.

2. Yes, you DO need to upgrade your trans once you go over 330-350 total HP on these cars, as it WILL NOT hold up over time. Trust me, it wont.

I dont see anything being contradicting about my 2 statements as they were about 2 different things. You also dont need to go to the track to beat the **** out of your trans and have to get it upgraded because of it.