LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

MY turn for tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008 | 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Default MY turn for tranny issues

Of course, within days of me getting ready to install the new wheels do I begin to feel some serious issues with the transmission.

On friday, when I left work (car/transmission cold), I had to make a 3-pt turn to get going in the right direction. It banged (clunked) into reverse. When I got home and backed into the driveway, it did the same thing. Didn't drive it much on saturday, so IDK about that. Yesterday, it banged into reverse when I backed out of the driveway, and it banged into first at the first couple stopsigns I reached. Each time this happened, the transmission was relatively cold and I had not driven much more than 1-2 miles.

I've also noticed over the past few months that the car will rev much higher than necessary before shifting into the appropriate gear (especially on the highway).

Any of this sound like anything to you all?

I've got 34k on the clock, so it's getting close to expiration. I want to put my wheels on, but don't want the dealer blaming those for my woes. I know it's going, but if I can't make it happen when the dealer sees it, what should I do? Is the complaint enough to cover my *** for another couple thousand miles (post-warranty)? Should I just say the hell with it and throw the wheels on and take them off if it breaks?
Old 03-31-2008 | 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

It sounds like clutches to me but I am no transmission expert. I would bring it to the dealer and if they replace something then put a shift kit in there. That will help the clutches catch a little faster so the clutches don't burn up so quick. I hope it is nothing major.

-Mike
Old 03-31-2008 | 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are these trannys grenades or what?

geez!
Old 03-31-2008 | 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

It seems like it. I don't remember these being such an issue with the GTP's. Kind of weird...

-Mike
Old 03-31-2008 | 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had every trans problem imaginable. When i had problems with hard shifts the tranmissino was in limp mode and applying 100% pressure due to a leaking hose inside the trans. Probably not your problem but you can never tell all you can do is break it and make them fix it. What i would do is make them keep the thing over night tell them exactly what its doing. Then tell them you want to be there when they test it while they have a Tech hooked up to it. i've had to do this **** all to many times. Specially when that pressure problem it would only do at complete random times. Very Weird any reasonable person will know that the harsh shift isnt normal and will try to find it specially if your in there face about it they can't lie to you and say oh thats normal cause you'll call bs
Old 03-31-2008 | 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

What does the trans fluid look and smell like? Is it burnt? I agree have them test it under the same conditions.

Good luck.
Old 03-31-2008 | 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

I pulled the stick yesterday and i can't really tell if it smells burnt or not. It's not red anymore, that's for sure, but it's not very dark, either. What is the suggested interval for fluid changes? Still 50k? Don't want that thrown in my face. I've been meaning to do it, just haven't done it.

Of course it did nothing wrong today, cold or warm. I've been trying to get it to act up but no gotz.
Old 03-31-2008 | 04:21 PM
Launching!

Sounds like it could be a valve body issue, if a seal goes bad it will bang into gear.
Old 03-31-2008 | 08:07 PM
Launching!

take it to the dealer now and get it logged in that somethings wrong. Then in another 1k miles if it still acts up on you bring it back and get it checked out again. According the the TSB they had on my car it basically just tells them if theres any tranny problems drop the pan and find the metal chunks then replace with a new one. My dealer was real good about it but ive also bought a couple cars there and i dont take no for an answer.
Old 03-31-2008 | 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My FSM says that it could be the servo cushion springs for the forward band or Reverse band, that can be replaced with outremoval. Could also be a check ball issue or the forward or reverse boost valve in the VB. High line pressure is also an issue, might be related to the pressure control soleniod or pump. Finally it co could be the thermostatic element in the spacer plate. No matter how many ways you slice it the side pan has to come off which may entail an R&R.
Old 03-31-2008 | 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

At this point in time, I'm hoping for the worst. I don't trust this thing as far as I can throw it...and I'm not that strong.

However, once it IS replaced (if that time comes), it WILL be getting a shift kit.
Old 03-31-2008 | 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well based on what you told me it operates corectly except for the garage shift...So I'm sure its somthing simple. of cours pulling the side pan isnt simple....neither is removal of the unit.... hopefully its a programming issue....
Old 03-31-2008 | 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Still 50k?
I always read people saying change the fluid and filter ever 30,000km for these transmissions.
Old 04-01-2008 | 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

2 years/ 20,000 miles

Do this and you will have a happy trans.

Make sure they just drop the pan, replace the filter and fluids. You do not want them to do a flush.
Old 04-01-2008 | 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by scarlett
I always read people saying change the fluid and filter ever 30,000km for these transmissions.
Just wondering what the General says about tranny fluid intervals. Don't want to drive in there with 34k on the clock and have them tell me I can't get warranty svce b.c I didn't swap it at 30k or something. I've been meaning to do the swap myself, but feared seeing something ugly in the pan and not having the evidence to show The Man.
Old 04-02-2008 | 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Most of the dealers I have ever talked to would rather do it sooner and often then have someone wait the 50k. 2 reasons:

1: They make more money

2: they know your taking care of your car and it will show up in the GM records, so they can not use that if there is ever a problem.

I would be safe and cut the time GM says for anything in 1/2.
Old 04-02-2008 | 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Well, two days later I haven't had as much as a shudder. However, I just noticed a "rattle" or "chatter" bouncing off passing cars when I was driving home for lunch...don't know how long that's been there. It seems most noticeable (i think) when DoD kicks in during city driving...b/c I can feel the different exhaust pulse right before the chatter comes in. I think it's under the car...but not sure where from. On my way back to work, I didn't hear it. Doncha just love that stuff?
Old 04-02-2008 | 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

That sucks. I wish there was a way you could do a scan of your car to see what was really wrong with it.
Old 04-02-2008 | 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Someone said that if the shifts are lagging or something else is wrong with the tranny, it would likely have codes stored (in the TCM). Anyone verify this? The original reference was to stored codes in a PCM on the 00-05 Impalas, and I don't know if the '06 is similar in that way.
Old 04-02-2008 | 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

PM Paul, Kissmyss02, He should/would know.