LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Weird rattle when 8>4 cyl. switch...maybe tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I've noticed with DOD, when I had my shift pressure raised with HPTuners, the change from 8-4 or vice versa is very abrupt, it was never like that before I had the shift points messed with. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 08-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
Had my car at the dealer again for some more issues and I had them check out the noise. They confirmed what I was saying. It's working as designed. No issue.
Did they say why GM designed it to start making the noise after 22k miles?? Perfectly quiet before that, then after 22k miles it started getting louder and stayed there. I wonder if they have a random number generator in their design software to make this start happening and mine was set at that mileage...
Old 08-02-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

^ Right!!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as I know the noise goes away when it warms up so that's fine by me. If the lifters want to clatter when its cold then let them. Lifters do that at times.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
As far as I know the noise goes away when it warms up so that's fine by me. If the lifters want to clatter when its cold then let them. Lifters do that at times.
Right on - I'm with you on this. After paying close attention over the last few weeks, mine also only makes the noise when the oil is not completely up to temp. After the oil warms up, no noise.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Mine does this all the time, cold or not. I got home from my vacation...after driving some 400mi from the mountains...and when I got back on city streets, it went right back to makin noise. I threw a p0054 code for an issue with the rear o2 sensor, so I'll be taking it to the dealer in the near future for that, and will ask them to investigate the lifter issue (again) as well.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its not completely gone but its so minute that i have to strain to hear it. Well if they can classify it as a problem for you best of luck. BTW I had a misfire code and basck when I had the 3 inch DP on I had a lean code...I think my o 2s are foulded up but they want me to remove the K and N, so I did. We'll see if it tosses th ecode again. Naturally Idon't belive that the K and N has anything to do with it, but i'll play along
Old 08-04-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Didn't think of the "running lean due to the K&N" issue. I'll give my uncle a shout about the CEL before I bring it in with the K&N installed.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

An intake wont produce a cel or dtc, it might at best make a etc but wont hold up Cel.....
.. Em. Cont.. So good luckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk but im in il!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

No, the intake causes the engine to run lean, so when more fuel is dumped into to compensate, it can foul up the sensors.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I havent seen the lean code pop up with the stock air box so I guess it was the K and N. the K and N is back in.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:09 PM
Launching!

so is anyone suggesting this could be normal? because anything that sounds like what we are hearing is not normal. and im not going to drive around in a beautiful car that sounds like its falling apart.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I was suggesting that it was normal....
Old 09-16-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

There is a difference between "normal" and "common." While the sound is apparently "common," it's definitely not "normal."

I would not allow the dealer to brush it off as "normal." I would ask not only the tech to get in the car to hear it, but that the regional rep join you and see if they would like to drive around with a relatively new car sounding like that.

I completely understand what is causing it...but it's not acceptable. Apparently, GM never tested a DoD/AFM engine long enough to allow it to get to this point.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Launching!

2 questions--- does anyone actually know what is going on with the lifters or whatever it is inside the motor?? has anyone found a TSB on this problem cuz i cant find one anywhere???
Old 09-16-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Pretty sure Count described what is happening earlier in this thread, and in another thread posted just a couple days ago.

Regarding TSB's...I guess enough of us haven't complained yet. Let's all start calling the GM complaint line and see where that takes us
Old 09-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Launching!

i like your thinking BUFF
Old 09-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Launching!

what exactly is the difference between a DOD lifter and regular lifter? if the lifter is collapsing what does that mean? also if i disable the DOD will it harm anything in the long run?
Old 09-17-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
There is a difference between "normal" and "common." While the sound is apparently "common," it's definitely not "normal."

I would not allow the dealer to brush it off as "normal." I would ask not only the tech to get in the car to hear it, but that the regional rep join you and see if they would like to drive around with a relatively new car sounding like that.

I completely understand what is causing it...but it's not acceptable. Apparently, GM never tested a DoD/AFM engine long enough to allow it to get to this point.
The bottom line is that you are right it is different. A dfiffernt design with different operating characteristics so with that said I belive that its normal, esspecially since I can't hear it when its all warmed up. Furthermore I dont want those people going into my engine let alone losing the car for weeks on end. My background is Automotive Engineering so with that said it's fine by me. I know more than I want to know about how a lifter works. But like I said, good luck if you get them to fix it. For my car its a closed case especially since other people got GM to replace the lifters only to go back to square one. A suggestion to take this further other than talking to a GM rep is to talk to the truck people that have DOD. One thing is certain Mobile 1 does aggravate the problem. 5000 miles with that oil and the lifters are plenty noisy regardless of temperature and even every cold start up. I still suggest changing out the oil and trying a different brand. I've been running Pennzoil for example.

Last edited by Count of Monte Carlo; 09-17-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cherrygxp
what exactly is the difference between a DOD lifter and regular lifter? if the lifter is collapsing what does that mean? also if i disable the DOD will it harm anything in the long run?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance/556077-information-ls4-dod-4t65e-hd.html

Quick Reply: Weird rattle when 8>4 cyl. switch...maybe tranny?