LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Steering Wheel Vibrates

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i let go of the wheel, It is atleast a 1" full shake from side to side.

They roadforce tested the car and then took the tires off one by one to check them.

I asked them to check the rims again and they said this time they will not.

They also said the tie rods were in great shape for a car that is 1 year old with only 3940miles on it.

Bottom line is that the OEM Rims SUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!! Once I get my new ones, i will beable to come back at GM and tell them to **** off with this problem.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My alignment did help me out some. My vibration now doesn't kick in until 84 or so, as opposed to ~75 as before. So thats umh progress I guess, but not really a solution of any sort.

My car had one tie rod replaced at ~13k by a dealer, although not the one in the region I currently live in. I'm going to lobby the service manager at the local dealership and lobby for a second tie rod on the grounds I have a warranty history that mine have problems. Drop some stuff about lemon law and making a fuss if they give me the run around. Not sure where it will go. I've been polite the last three times I was in there, took the service manager out, let him drive it. 34,000 miles on the clock and steering wheel vibrating like this is not natural no matter what they say. My 15 year old Saturn shakes less at 80 than this car does and its suspension has been untouched for 5 years....

I know another GXP owner with aftermarket rims, he has Memorial Day weekend stuff going down this weekend, but next weekend I'll try to get him to let me toss his wheels on and cruise down an exit or two and see what that does for me.

Anyone have any luck with their stealerships?
Old 05-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Launching!

I wonder how hard it would be to lemon law this car. The tranny has been out twice, and it's been back 5 or 6 times for TPMS problems, for a total of 35 days in the shop since I've owned it ( April 07). As long as the car stays the way it is, I wont have any reason to pursue it.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 05CherryGXP

Anyone have any luck with their stealerships?
i will find out thursday-friday hopefully
Old 05-21-2008, 06:43 AM
Launching!

When we had my car up on the lift, we could wiggle the driver's side wheel quite easily. I don't seem to have too much of an issue with shake now.

I would not mind some aftermarket wheels, but I have some other stuff to spend money on first.

I am also tossed up over which wheels. I love the look of some of the black rims in pictures, but every car I have actually seen with them driving down the road just looks like they have really dirty wheels.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

i dont want to get rid of my stock rims....i really really REALLY like them...unless there were some gunmetal after market OEM replica wheels (like they did with the dodge ram srt10)
Old 05-21-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Honestly, if you want this issue fixed, that is going to be the only way to do it.

Putting on my new rims took away all the problems. Hell, it feels better aswell.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

just got my car back from the dealership and the steering wheel shake is completely gone and the steering is even a little tighter which feels really nice. I will have to call them on monday to find out what they did, when i showed up it was 20 min after they closed (traffic jam) and i just picked the car up. Im not sure what else they did but it seems to shift better too. but back to the topic.....im not sure why others havent had their problem fixed. if you guys cant get the problem fixed and your close to grand rapids michigan, you could hit up my dealership, if they fixed mine im sure they could fix yours too.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Was in a traffic jam for 1 1/2 hours leaving Indy to Kokomo, noticed a severe vibration.

Bizarrely it cleared up once I got out of the jam.

Musta overheated and warped them in a traffic jam?
Old 05-24-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

You were Down here in Indy???? YOu shouldve said something to me Let me guess, 465?

I am going back to the dealer Monday and I am not leaving untill I have both the service manager and the Local GM rep right there in my car, seeing the problem.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah the 465 ...

Spur of the moment thing. Had Friday off, bro suggested going to check out the track for the day.

Too bad it rained the testing out. Saw the Compuware C6R, the new ZR1 and the Stone Temple Pilots.

Next time I will give a shout out w/ more notice!
Old 05-25-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, you will have to do that. I am in Carmel now, so you wont have to worry about 465. I used to drive that every morning to work and night when I got off and it was a bitch. Now I am only 1 mile from my job and loving every min of my drive.

Next time let me know and we can figure out something to do.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by silversurfer320
i will find out thursday-friday hopefully
How'd it go for you?
Old 06-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 05CherryGXP
How'd it go for you?
They fixed it completely, i have to take the car back down...AGAIN....but this time for the radio, it keeps cutting out on me. I picked the car up after they closed so i didnt get a chance to ask them. The steering was incredibly tighter when i got it back which felt really really nice.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Vibrates