LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Steering Wheel Vibrates

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Vibrates

Starting at 70 MPH or a little over my entire GXP starts to freak vibrate. I had at first blamed it on the fact that Michigan has ecredibly bad roads and not really thouht much of it. Handling is fine and I get no vibration at non highway speeds.

I've reached the point through where I can feel my steering wheel vibrating in my hands and the vibration travels down my arm and through my body. I also just took a cruise on a new paved highway and had the same problem depsite the fact the road is smooth and all that.

I tried to get my dealer to look at it, but he claims it is 'bad roads'. Does anyone have any suggestions for what could be going wrong here? I plan on taking the car back this week and making my case directly to the service manager. I was hoping to drop some terms to try to point them in the right direction. My dealer mostly seems good at replacing parts, not findng problems.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Teching In

i had the exact same problem and my dealer told me it was because one of the front rims was bent. they replaced it and it has been fine since
Old 05-17-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search, there are alot of topics on this issue. Its a known issue with GM and these cars.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

i have the same problem, but mine starts at around 55 or so.... im taking it to the dealership tomorrow to have them fix a few things, i'll let you know what i find out. (i just got the car like 4 days ago)
Old 05-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

It could be a few things, your front tires may need balanced, you may have a bad strut, warped rotors
Old 05-18-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

My car only has 3900 miles on it and I have been to the dealer 6 times on this issue, they keep saying its this or that.

What is going to come down to is this, Replace the rims with something other then what GM offers and get rid of those shitty RSA tires.

Because anything GM does is not fixing the problem as of RIGHT now
Old 05-18-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Have this same problem and after numerous visits to the dealership, the most constructive thing they could do was to put air in the tires.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

They have balanced my tires, changed out my rims, new struts, replaced rotors and brakes, even changed out my Eagle F1 A/S tires. I still have the same problem.

GM has always had weak rims. ONce I get my aftermarket rims and then get someone else to do the work, I am willing to bet anything it will not happen.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies on this. I had priced out a rim and the dealer wanted 800 dollars for one and I nearly had a heart attack. Luckily I found a guy that oculd beat that.

Anyways my mechanic checked all my rims for me and spent sometime on the car. I take my other out of warranty cars to him and he's a good guy. He said my rear tires are wearing unevenly when he looked at it and told me and alignment looked somewhat off. He said that with the camber my car has on the rears, that even a minor shift will be extremely noticable. In terms of rims, supsension, steering, etc he said everything still looked good to him.

So it gets aligned today and then I'm going to take her out on the highway and see how that goes.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Launching!

One suggestion: check your tie-rods. I had a bad one @ under 8.5k miles (found it when we pulled the motor out of the car).
Old 05-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

I just cracked 8000 miles on my Impala and it has been doing that for the last 5k. It is finally getting in for a scheduled appointment this Saturday. Hope all goes well.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

Good luck. get ready for the dealer to start giving you a bunch of BS about stuff to fix it.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Taz34SS
Good luck. get ready for the dealer to start giving you a bunch of BS about stuff to fix it.
Word. In the long run, I'm going to try the same fix you are going for... new aftermarket wheels and a non-stealer service shop.

That is, after I get my front bumper replaced , new exhaust and tint.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

I have had it up to here with GM and this ******* issue. I got my car back today after they said it was fixed and its doing the samething. I went back, picked up the service manager, and drove around with him. He saw it, but said there is nothing more they can do about it.

**** YOU GM... Ill go aftermarket on your ***. LOL

Sorry about all that, but I am getting really sick of this problem. I cant wait to get my rims in. I am thinking about throwing the GM ones through there front windows.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

My car runs heads & tails smoother than it did with the stock wheels. Granted, I last had winter tires on the car before the 20s, but since the 20s & 255's went on, she's nice and smooth.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

my car goes in thursday for the problem.....i'll fill you all in on what they say and if they fixed it or not.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

My rims..........
Oe rims=vibration
winter rims=no vibration
Aftermarket rims=no vibration.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 05CherryGXP
Thanks for the replies on this. I had priced out a rim and the dealer wanted 800 dollars for one and I nearly had a heart attack. Luckily I found a guy that oculd beat that.

Anyways my mechanic checked all my rims for me and spent sometime on the car. I take my other out of warranty cars to him and he's a good guy. He said my rear tires are wearing unevenly when he looked at it and told me and alignment looked somewhat off. He said that with the camber my car has on the rears, that even a minor shift will be extremely noticable. In terms of rims, supsension, steering, etc he said everything still looked good to him.

So it gets aligned today and then I'm going to take her out on the highway and see how that goes.
Cherry, One of the most misunderstood or communicated services in the automotive repair bussiness is that an alignment won't cause or fix a vibration. The alignment being out can wear the tires in a way that will cause noise or a vibration. But getting an alignment won't cure your vibration. I would have someone with a Hunter RoadForce wheel/tire balancer look for an out of round tire first, then check the balance or for a bent wheel. If these are good and not out of spec then I'd start to look somewhere else. Hope this helps. That is what I'd do and I've been an auto tech for 9 years.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

MC, Ive been there and done that. They have roadforced tested this car and still does not fix the issue.

new aftermarket rims are looking better and better each and every day now.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Taz34SS
I have had it up to here with GM and this ******* issue. I got my car back today after they said it was fixed and its doing the samething. I went back, picked up the service manager, and drove around with him. He saw it, but said there is nothing more they can do about it.

**** YOU GM... Ill go aftermarket on your ***. LOL

Sorry about all that, but I am getting really sick of this problem. I cant wait to get my rims in. I am thinking about throwing the GM ones through there front windows.

So what did they say they did to try and fix the problem this time around? I balanced my tires myself a few days ago, 3 out of 4 were out of balance by about a 1/2 ounce, and one of my rims has a noticeable wobble to it. I rebalanced them all and it seems fine now, although I might buy a new wheel so I don't have to worry about it in the future. How bad does yours shake honestly? Mine was pretty damn bad, and was even worse before they replaced one of my tie rods.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Vibrates