LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Weird whining noise...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008 | 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Weird whining noise...?

I have noticed today that there is a strange whining noise coming from the power steering / water pump area. The whining gets louder when the engine rpms go up. Has anyone had this type of problem? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-Mike
Old 05-21-2008 | 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

I noticed soon after buying the car there was a fluctuating, whining noise coming from one of the pulleys. I can't tell which one it is, though. I've been meaning to take it in since I have spotting around the oil pan gasket, and my airbag light has come on a couple times as well.
Old 05-21-2008 | 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can be in my club! near as I can tell, mine is from the power-steering pump.
Old 05-21-2008 | 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

My wife's 2000 Regal GSE has made the same noise for the last five or so years. I told her it's probably Hillary whining about Barack closing in on the nomination. LOL.

All kidding aside, her service advisor said it's coming from the PS pump, but claims there's nothing he can do about it until it fails. Luckily she bought an extended warranty.

Last edited by jpstax; 05-21-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2008 | 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

ANything like this?

or this

This is what it sounded like the day before the PS pressure line burst. Right now, from time to time, I still get a whine from the engine. I guess the water pump pulley isn't quite large enough or something

If not that, then I second the "whining wife" scenario...she probably saw what you've been doing to your car
Old 05-22-2008 | 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

x2 on the whine then P/S hose failure
Old 05-22-2008 | 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

x2 on the whine then P/S hose failure

Trending Topics

Old 05-22-2008 | 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Chris, that was funny! Probably right too... I am going to start by changint the PS fluid to synthetic. In my old 01 it developed a whine from the PS pump then I went and put in synthetic fluid and it never came back. I hope it isn't a hose. Did you replace the hoses? Very curious... Thanks for the help guys.

-Mike

-
Old 05-22-2008 | 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

The AC compressor is a variable displacement compressor under high demand it goes to full displacement with a whining noise so the ac never cycles off trully and just incase to save any future post. If your defrost is on so is your AC its enabled to dry the air unless its below like 45degree's. IF you don't believe this then when you hear the whining turn on your ac make make sure its blowing out forward vents "for simplicity" wait till you hear the whining noise "mostly likley in stoped traffic" then push the button to turn the ac off 1/2 seconds later the clutch will disengage and silence. My car has this whining and this is all it was and hasn't happened sense last summer.

Last edited by Sint3k; 05-22-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-22-2008 | 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mgpeagle
Chris, that was funny! Probably right too... I am going to start by changint the PS fluid to synthetic. In my old 01 it developed a whine from the PS pump then I went and put in synthetic fluid and it never came back. I hope it isn't a hose. Did you replace the hoses? Very curious... Thanks for the help guys.

-Mike

-

There was a TSB for the LS4 about the bursting PS pressure line for cold-weather climates. I had the line replaced. They said the pump was fine, but it still whines. I had a few pulleys replaced a while ago due to a whine & chatter, but this whine is different than that.
Old 05-22-2008 | 09:04 AM
Launching!

It's the supercharger....
Old 05-22-2008 | 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think it is the A/C Compressor since it makes this noise when the heat / ac is off. It does it right when I start the car and gets louder when the rpm's go up. I think it is the ps or something in that area. I am changing the ps fluid to synthetic and checking the lines on Sunday and go from there. It can't be a supercharger since my car doesn't have one. I'll keep you guys updated.

-Mike
Old 05-22-2008 | 11:34 AM
Launching!

I know it's not. I was kidding.

Do you notice it more when the car is cold or hot? Or does it matter?
Old 05-22-2008 | 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought you were joking... Temerature doesn't seem to matter. Hot or cold, still makes that damn noise.

-Mike
Old 05-23-2008 | 05:05 AM
Launching!

My nav system makes this weird whining noise (only when it's cold), which is why I asked. It has something to do with the drive motors spinning up (since we have 2 slots - DVD and CD. It goes away after a few minutes and does not do it in the warmer weather. I have also not had any issues with not reading either the CD or the Nav disc.

Aside from all this, I would say power steering as well.
Old 06-01-2008 | 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I found out on Friday that it is the Pwr./Steering pump. I ordered one from GMPartsDirect and a new pulley for it for 147.50 shipped to my door. Not too bad considering... I will also change the serp. belt while in there too. How long do those last anyway? What 80,000 miles or so? Thanks in advance.

-Mike
Old 06-01-2008 | 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
ANything like this?

or this

This is what it sounded like the day before the PS pressure line burst. Right now, from time to time, I still get a whine from the engine. I guess the water pump pulley isn't quite large enough or something

If not that, then I second the "whining wife" scenario...she probably saw what you've been doing to your car
That's exactly what mine sounded like last weekend when the hose burst on mine also. No fluid in the resevoir and the LOUDEST whine ever coming from the pump. Definitely not a good sound.

Mgpeagle, it took the dealer 3 and a half hours to replace JUST the hose on the P/S pump. The service manager told me it was a "more labor intensive process than we had originally thought". When I picked the car up he told me to get at it that they had to drop the cradle. Sounds like fun.
Old 06-02-2008 | 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Aren't you guys worried about your pumps being damaged from running dry ? Any extended warranty offered or asked about since this is there problem ?
Old 06-02-2008 | 07:01 AM
On The Tree

seems to be the power steering fluid. it probably needs flushed and cleaned. you can get a kit for about 30 bucks
Old 06-02-2008 | 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

Yes...to do a lot on this engine entails dropping the cradle. When my tensioner went, they had to do the same. Unfortunately, since the car was relatively new, it took a week for it to come in from the supplier. Same with the PS hose(s). It was back during the original "scare" about the PS lines bursting, and it took a week since the parts were on backorder. That's just two weeks out of the 5 or so that I've been without the car...not including the most recent accident

Quick Reply: Weird whining noise...?