LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Raced a G8 GT today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raced a G8 GT today.

I got some Dynomax Ultra Flo mufflers installed on my car yesterday, and I must say it sounds awesome. So today I was cruising around and while I stopped at a light a white G8 pulls up next to me. I gave him a rev and a thumbs up, which he returned. Light turns green and we both hammer it, I spun a little off the line and he didnt. He jumped out about a half a car length on me and he stayed there untill 100 where we both shut down. I was surprised I did that well, seeing as the G8 is 360hp. I'm sure with a with a few mods the G8 will go really good.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

G8 is also just over 4000 lb, so you have a bit of a weight advantage.

I've been following things on the G8 board. Amazing what happens when you have a RWD layout - there's vendors falling all over themselves trying to sell supercharger, turbo, twin turbo kits, suspension upgrades, CAI's, catbacks, headers, and intake manifolds.

No cams out for the G8 yet, and many of the G8 mods require dusting the DOD, but maybe we'll benefit from some cam development for the G8.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

The cam lift is a little different in the l76 than the ls4. But both are dod cams.

Who needs lift when you can have boost
Old 07-07-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah wheelspin off the line is pretty rough plus the G8s run a 13.8 out of the box compared to our 14.3 i raced a caddy today with a northstar we only went till about seventy because i had him by a length and was making a gap i felt like i lost a lot of time because of wheelspin how do you guys cope? traction control yes or no? and tips on launching? im kinda thinking about getting some drag radials i think a lot of time could get shaved off these things.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pauls325
...i felt like i lost a lot of time because of wheelspin how do you guys cope? traction control yes or no? and tips on launching? im kinda thinking about getting some drag radials i think a lot of time could get shaved off these things.

What we have are reasonably quick family 4-doors, not a sports car. They were never meant to be anything but bread and butter sedans with a hint of sportiness. Too many compromises with the front wheel drive. TCM, weight transfer physics, nose heavy, etc. If you are thinking of drag radials to help get out of the hole faster, sell the car, you would be waaay happier with a rear driver. Not worth the effort to try to get these things to e.t. in my opinion. If you want a trim and athletic wife, do you start by dating a Jenny Craig reject?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 06 SS
Not worth the effort to try to get these things to e.t. in my opinion. If you want a trim and athletic wife, do you start by dating a Jenny Craig reject?
Unfortunately, I don't have any room to code this into my sig, but it WILL go in my sigs elsewhere.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you want a trim and athletic wife, do you start by dating a Jenny Craig reject?
Awesome!

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
I've been following things on the G8 board. Amazing what happens when you have a RWD layout - there's vendors falling all over themselves trying to sell supercharger, turbo, twin turbo kits, suspension upgrades, CAI's, catbacks, headers, and intake manifolds.
Agree - there's been a couple articles in GMHTP about the G8, none in three years on the W-bodys, I can't even remember an article on the S/C'd ones. The general community only embraces RWD; otherwise you get grouped into the "ricer tuner" category.

Last edited by Kazmaniac; 07-07-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

The G8 has the same 0 to 60 as ours 5.3 so of you can get a good launch you would take it.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

06 SS
You might have a 4 door family car but I don't and these things will run if you know how to run them I have had W- bodys for 12 years and you can make them go check out ClubGP and see what W-bodys can do.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

No ones questioning what they can do, I'm sure he's welllll aware of what they can do. I think he's merely stating that it's not the best platform to start out with, which it's not. You can make anything fast if you have the time and money.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mels SS
06 SS
You might have a 4 door family car but I don't and these things will run if you know how to run them I have had W- bodys for 12 years and you can make them go check out ClubGP and see what W-bodys can do.
so they run/handle better than a rear-drive car with the same engine/tranny/weight/mods would if available? I doubt it, but to each his own, if someone wants to see what can be done with an inherently limited (and aged) platform, more power to 'em! (no pun intended)

While I dislike absolutes, I cannot think of any modification that would gain as much benefit in a FWD application vs a RWD one. Simply from a balance and traction aspect. You get more bang for your modding buck with a rear drive car.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

inherently limited (and aged)
Let me guess you got that straight from motor trend.

Umm not for nothing these W Cars are the only thing keep Chevy alive right now. Old or not it's a working design, durable, comfortable, and fuel effiecient. On a sporting front, if anyone knows how to put power to the front wheels it's GM.The old GEN1 Sport model Wbodies can run cirlces around like 90% of the new cars today and they drive very well. Even the ones with the 15inch wheels! They might've been slow but what car back then was fast? A TPI was lucky to break into the 15's. check the reviews

I just find comments like that about the W-body very short sighted. That has the average "enthusiast" blind to a perfectly fine car as the W-body for example. I bet you never noticed you dont get any of that nasty wheel hop that plauges other cars that were "built" for power such as a CTS-V, GTO, '03 Cobras. And those older mustangs dont drive all that wonderfull either. I guess its just comes down to whether or not you can do a doughnut on command... Otherwise I dont see the big deal.

W bodies are capable platforms all years, too bad noone wants to deal with them because they drive the front wheels...That just sounds stupid to type that...

Keep in mind I used to drive a Z28 wihich was a fine car as well, but this diffrence in how they drive relative to drive wheels, I dont see it....there is more to a car than the set of wheels that drive it.

BTW I'd love to hear those Dynomaxs'. My setup has gotten louder oddly enough...My new tips help that I know...

Last edited by Count of Monte Carlo; 07-07-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
Let me guess you got that straight from motor trend.

Umm not for nothing these W Cars are the only thing keep Chevy alive right now. Old or not it's a working design, durable, comfortable, and fuel effiecient. On a sporting front, if anyone knows how to put power to the front wheels it's GM.The old GEN1 Sport model Wbodies can run cirlces around like 90% of the new cars today and they drive very well. Even the ones with the 15inch wheels! They might've been slow but what car back then was fast? A TPI was lucky to break into the 15's. check the reviews
BTW I'd love to hear those Dynomaxs'. My setup has gotten louder oddly enough...My new tips help that I know...
You guessed wrong, but it doesn't matter, you are getting all worked up like I am making a personal attack against you and your choices. Never said the W-bodies were not capable of performing their tasks, just was commenting on moving outside their designed tasks. I am not familiar with GEN1 Sport model Wbodies, if they could run circles around like 90% of the cars today, I am impressed. I wouldn't have believed it, but as I wrote, I am not familiar with them, so I will defer to your statement on that.

I still believe that, unless you need the compromise of front wheel drive, rear wheel is the way to go and you run very quickly into diminishing returns when starting out modding a platform that was originally designed in the years during/after the gas price crisis after 1980. Fuel efficient? You bet! Performance oriented? Not so much in my book. No matter how much GM tweaks it, you can only build as well as your base allows.

I would like to hear the Dynomax as well. Considered using them for my mufflers as well. Ended up with the other for the double wrapped shell and total lack of drone at highway speeds.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Close but no cigar ehh? I am not taking it personally. I'm saying it's not the first time I've heard that comment said and I find it to be very unwarrented. It's not right to think that if you fortify the car that you aren't going to get any thing worth while out of it, or that its going to fly right off the road. But suspension is a fine balance...If you can find an old SE, GTP Grand Prix or Cutlass International In pristine shape, It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to get behind the wheel and drive one. Some of those cars were speced with 245 50 16 Gatorback tires back then, that's how well thay handled.

You want to make a car handle really well do what they did with the F bodies and shove the engine behind the suspension. Mustangs never did this and they never handled as well, the flexy body and 4 link rear didnt help either....GOD if you want to knock a dated platform those fox bodies are it! At least the W body was done on a computer!

Like I said I have respect for the classic and some of the stuff out now, being a former F-Body owner. But I realy think this all boils down to doing stupid things like doughnuts on command....I can think of 100's of rear drive cars that aront not all that special to say the least....
Old 07-08-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think what '06 is saying is that the after market community hasn't recognized the W-body platform as an economic opportunity. So there's not going to be parts developed.

To that point, there are several posts mentioning people thought we had V6's. These cars will more than likely be mentioned 10 - 20 years from now as one of the 2000's little known automotive "buys".
Old 07-08-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is "almost" as much out there for aftermarket parts for the V-6 W-Bodies as there are for the F-Bodies. I just wish the W-Body vendors thought of us sometimes...the ones with the V-8's.

-Mike
Old 07-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

requesting recording of said Ultra Flo's...... I've been seriously considering these. Are they welded or standard?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

I have been a big complainer about the w-body platform. Not because I don't think they have potential, but because I don't feel like investing what is needed to reach that potential. A RWD car out of the box is just a ton more fun to drive, period.

That said, one of the things you'd have to do to make these cars drive properly (around a track) as a FWD will be to start by throwing some weight in the trunk. Yes you heard me right...junk in trunk. These cars, as previously noted, are extremely front heavy...so some weight in the trunk will balance them out. Yeah you'll lose power....but what good is power if you can't get the car around a turn?

Secondly, someone said you get more bang for your buck out of a RWD car. Well, technically, you get more HP for your buck out of a FWD due to parasitic drivetrain loss when all else is equal. But I do get your point anyways...just thought I'd toss in my 2 cents.

I love these cars, but I'll be the first to admit that I want to drift around a corner here and there when it's wet out....and mashing our awkward e-brakes is not the best idea (though it works...) heh.

I said it once and I'd say it again...if the 2k monte was RWD...it would be my dream car.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

g8 weighs over 4000 pounds. wtf they shoulda just kept the gto. thats dumb as hell
Old 07-08-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
I have been a big complainer about the w-body platform. Not because I don't think they have potential, but because I don't feel like investing what is needed to reach that potential. A RWD car out of the box is just a ton more fun to drive, period.

That said, one of the things you'd have to do to make these cars drive properly (around a track) as a FWD will be to start by throwing some weight in the trunk. Yes you heard me right...junk in trunk. These cars, as previously noted, are extremely front heavy...so some weight in the trunk will balance them out. Yeah you'll lose power....but what good is power if you can't get the car around a turn?

Secondly, someone said you get more bang for your buck out of a RWD car. Well, technically, you get more HP for your buck out of a FWD due to parasitic drivetrain loss when all else is equal. But I do get your point anyways...just thought I'd toss in my 2 cents.

I love these cars, but I'll be the first to admit that I want to drift around a corner here and there when it's wet out....and mashing our awkward e-brakes is not the best idea (though it works...) heh.

I said it once and I'd say it again...if the 2k monte was RWD...it would be my dream car.
Once again there is more to a car than the set of wheels that drive it. A '68 Lincoln is rear drive, doesnt mean that its fun to drive up the Taconic. With that said if you got to know your W car alittle more youd know that they are actually prone to oversteering if you push them hard enough. Esspecially the older ones..... All said and done, tires get the car around the corner. Drifting...usualy gets the car into a tree....

Yes all these newer cars are too heavy.The weight and drivline friction needs to be trimmed if you want good fuel economy which the G8 doesn't have. All of this needs to go down and soon if they are to run the gasoline engine as it is. 3500 lbs is good goal. I'd also like to see Direct Fuel Injection.

Last edited by Count of Monte Carlo; 07-09-2008 at 05:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Raced a G8 GT today.