LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Positives / Negatives of having Resonator removed..

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually thinking about doing this to my 08 Imp SS. By the end of the summer I want to have the resonator delete, hogan downpipe, TBS (any suggestions for TBS? My buddy said the Envoy TBS would work...don't know how accurate that is...), I'm hesitant on the mufflers b/c I have heard that you lose the Active Fuel Management which I have to have.

Any other suggestions? I'm not looking to spend a ton, but I do want a little more throttle response and off the line power.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

huh???? noooo, you don't lose the AFM... who told ya THAT??? hahaha...

what they say is, if you had flowmasters on there for instance, when it goes into 4 cyl. mode, it will sound weird, that's all...

I wouldn't know... I disabled my DOD/AFM years ago, so my flowmasters sound awesome!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 03-28-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Speedoffastness
I'm actually thinking about doing this to my 08 Imp SS. By the end of the summer I want to have the resonator delete, hogan downpipe, TBS (any suggestions for TBS? My buddy said the Envoy TBS would work...don't know how accurate that is...), I'm hesitant on the mufflers b/c I have heard that you lose the Active Fuel Management which I have to have.

Any other suggestions? I'm not looking to spend a ton, but I do want a little more throttle response and off the line power.
Your friend is right about the TBS. And mufflers will have absolutely NO affect on DOD. The only thing that will is the downpipe, because it will trip codes, therefore disabling your AFM.

You can get a k&n cold air kit for increase throttle response. It is easy to install and has decent gains both in performance and fuel economy (as does the TBS).
Old 03-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Ok well that reassurs me about the mufflers...thanks. The more I look at these cars I notice that they are EXTREMELY restrictive when it comes to airflow!! So, for those of you who have disabled DOD/AFV what fuel economy are you getting? I drive a lot so it's pretty important to me. With the AFV, I'm usually getting 23-24 MPG with highway driving and 15-18 in city...

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 03-28-2009, 05:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I drive 80 miles a day, round trip to work... I drive 60/40 city/highway - and that's not counting all of the around-town city crap on weekends...

and with my DOD disabled, and my fuel trims dialed in, I'm getting 20.6mpg... when I had the DOD ENABLED, I was getting in the 18's....

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 03-28-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS

and with my DOD disabled, and my fuel trims dialed in, I'm getting 20.6mpg... when I had the DOD ENABLED, I was getting in the 18's....
Lew, is that real MPG or the garbage that the DIC spits out? Once you change those fuel trims even a little, it vastly changes the accuracy of the DIC.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I double-checked my DIC after tune; it was with in .1 of MPG.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian396
maybe my rockers throw mine off more than yours. I was over 2 MPG optimistic on the DIC after setting the fuel trims.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Brian396
yep, mines just about dead on too...

Old 03-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
I left mine on and just installed some Flowmaster Super 40's... sounds AWESOME....
same here. sounds great!
Old 03-30-2009, 05:52 AM
On The Tree

When I bought my super 44's I had the muffler shop put the muffs and tips on without removing the res and let me hear it before they did the whole thing. I would do the same. Then if it's loud enough, you can go with that, if not, pay the extra 40 and remove it. I started it up and it definitely sounded better but just wasn't loud enough for me. I have a 16 month old son and my exhaust puts him to sleep LOL. When they removed the resonator I was like WTF, that is awesome. Now the rear view mirror shakes when I accelerate from the bass. I will get a vid up asap, no later than this weekend. My neighbors hate me now though LOL, i leave for work at 3:45 am and lights turn on as I drive down the street.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Anybody got vids/sound clips of their exhaust? I'm trying to make my decision soon. I read on some of the other threads that some people have put on the Thrush mufflers. Anybody had a chance to hear these? I'm tryin to break the bank but I do want an aggressive sounding car.

Has anyone just run straight pipes with the resonator intact?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

I got my flow super 44's for 125 shipped to me. part number 942446 performancepeddler.com buyflowmaster.com has them cheap as well, maybe cheaper than where I got them.

I am taking videos this weekend at the meet so you will get to hear what mine sounds like then.

Last edited by cherry gxp; 04-03-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

To those saying that upgrading the downpipe throws a code: are you talking about the catless or just the downpipe? Because I have the 3" downpipe with the stock cat and I haven't thrown any codes. Just wondering...

Oh and if anybody just wants to improve the sound, get a cut out! You'll lose a little low end torque but gain in the top end...plus it sounds like a mean MFer!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

well I took my resonator off of my gp gxp with the magnaflow cat-back and 3inch downpipe with high-flow cat.......sounds really good, deeper and no raspy noise.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Launching!

I love having mine removed. I had a shop put a 3in pipe in from the cat back to the Y-pipe. It sounds really nice, when you first start it up. Only if it sounded like it all the time. It quiets down after the mufflers/engine warms up.

Im hopeing that when i put a bigger DP and High flow cat on it will sound like it does when i first start it up.

Personally, I was shopping for a Cat-Back kit, then after i removed the res and put that pipe in, **** i dont need one now, ever...
Old 07-31-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

heres my set up....3inch downpipe with cat and magnaflow cat-back without resonator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHyAuy1MPHE
Old 07-31-2009, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Just did the res delet today on my stock setup,definitley impressed when starting her up(deeper sound)...not bad for $25 cut res out and welded a 2-1/2 pipe in place...all in all pretty impressed for spending $25 and 20 mins b/s w/the owner...
Old 07-31-2009, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by williamGT
heres my set up....3inch downpipe with cat and magnaflow cat-back without resonator.

Your setup sounds really good. I think you nailed it for the LS4.
I like the same exhaust w/ magnaflow resonator, also.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by williamGT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHyAuy1MPHE
Dude badass sound...no rasp either!

Thats what I'm trying to do...

Quick Reply: Positives / Negatives of having Resonator removed..