LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Superchips for Ls4s

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
Yeah I really just cannot take the soft shifting and DOD surging anymore. The soft shifts are going to tear part my clutch with all the extra power. Are you guys getting a 2nd gear chirp with this tune? If it doesn't I may need to order a shift kit too!
So I got it and the stock tune doesn't feel much different shift-wise. And I was kind of disappointed to see that my 2-->1 Shift points have not changed...nor do I see an option to manually tune the downshift point. The 0-60 and 1/4 mile benchmarks are pretty cool though!

Questions:

-Are you guys increasing your tranny line pressure manually? If so, How much PSI are you increasing it by? I know all cars behave differently, just trying to get a ballpark here..

-Any comments about the down shift tuning? I wonder if superchips will do a custom tune for me that includes a higher speed downshift. 2-->1 @ 35mph just doesn't cut it.

Non-superchips tranny tuners (HP) are welcome to give feedback too! Thanks!
Old 06-19-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Also, does anyone know what the superchips values are for their different settings? Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

screw it Hexx...I am going to live low for a couple weeks and pop for the Cartuning kit. Join me. Still be an overpowered front driver, but at least you won't be sucking exhaust fumes from LS<4's....
Old 06-19-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

haha, the turbo kit? I dunno. I'm buying a house soon and I don't have the funds for a $10k adventure at the moment, lol! But good luck and keep us posted!
Old 06-19-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got a house, lost about 100K in tax value last two years, whatcha gonna do? Live man!
Old 06-20-2009, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
So I got it and the stock tune doesn't feel much different shift-wise. And I was kind of disappointed to see that my 2-->1 Shift points have not changed...nor do I see an option to manually tune the downshift point. The 0-60 and 1/4 mile benchmarks are pretty cool though!

Questions:

-Are you guys increasing your tranny line pressure manually? If so, How much PSI are you increasing it by? I know all cars behave differently, just trying to get a ballpark here..

-Any comments about the down shift tuning? I wonder if superchips will do a custom tune for me that includes a higher speed downshift. 2-->1 @ 35mph just doesn't cut it.

Non-superchips tranny tuners (HP) are welcome to give feedback too! Thanks!
Bump the trans pressure to 20%

There is no 4-2 3-1 down shifts, they do this to save your trans.

You will need to run your car about 100 miles to get the full effects of the tune. The take off and power will feel more and more as you keep going, but make sure you have the correct updates from SC.

It might not feel like a custom tune from VMS or HP, but if you dont have alot of money and want a solid tune, this is the key.

Also, SC will not make a custom tune for the LS4. I have tried that route with them.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 06 SS
I got a house, lost about 100K in tax value last two years, whatcha gonna do? Live man!
The upside is that your property taxes should be less.

I'm running +20PSI line pressure on mine and it has a nice but not harsh shift.

I talked to SuperChips last week & they said the current rev has support to turn off DOD and the 93 Tune is about 6 weeks away. The 93 Tune has been 6 weeks away for about 4 months now.

I did an update last week but I didn't see the option to turn off DOD.

Last edited by Heslekrants; 06-20-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

So tell me what to look for in a can tune and what to stay away from!! And what setting.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mels SS
So tell me what to look for in a can tune and what to stay away from!! And what setting.
No can tune will compare to a custom dyno tune but they have their advantages.

1. Easy install
2. Easy to reinstall stock tune if going to dealer for warranty
*Caution" Sometimes the dealer will reflash your ECM without telling you
then your handheld tuner is locked out & useless.
3. Decent performance/mpg gains without have to learn how to tune.
4. Some tuning options but do vary.

I have 3 tuned cars.

1. 2008 GP GXP - Superchips Cortex - This tuner works on most 99 & newer GM, has data collection, but limited options for my car right now.

2. 2006 Mustang - Diablo Sport - Only works on the 05-10 Mustang. I bought as a package with a CAI, TB spacer and came with a custom tune to match these items. Big performance increase & got rid of the rough factory idle & delayed throttle response. It was a simple change on the tuner when I installed the 4.10 gears then again when I changed tire size.

3. 1999 Suburban - PCMforless custom tune - I installed a built 383 stroker with .534 lift on 110LSA so a custom tune was needed. When I changed to 4.10 gears I had to send my ECM out for a retune ($50) and wait 2 weeks to get it back.

I thought about getting into custom tuning myself but there is a learning curve to being a good tuner & I don't have the time for that right now.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MCSS07
Bump the trans pressure to 20%
You mean +20PSI right?

There is no 4-2 3-1 down shifts, they do this to save your trans.
All I want it to do is down shift to first at 45mph or lower, thats all. This car is a dog at 2nd gear if you miss the 35mph sweet spot.

HP tuners can do this right? If they wont dont a custom tune for me that can do this or implement the feature, then it pretty much defeats my purpose of leaving the diablosport tuner (though, no dod surge is sweet).
Old 06-20-2009, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=hexxLS4;11789390]You mean +20PSI right? QUOTE]
Yup, +20PSI
Old 06-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

Well, atleast you have trans tuning with SC. DS I do not believe has it do they?

You really do not want to drop down 4-2 3-1 as it will **** up your trans.

Bump it up to 20psi and have fun. I didnt think I would like it, but after I got the car on the dyno and saw the new power, I fell in love with it.

Also, I have the opt of turning off DOD.... You guys dont????
Old 06-22-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

You really do not want to drop down 4-2 3-1 as it will **** up your trans.
Aren't other people fixing their down-shift points with HP tuners?
Old 06-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Launching!

I have the HP Tuner and I've gained about 23HP so far (fuel econ sucks), and the tranny shift so much better. I'd much rather have the capabilities of the HP Tuner.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by beznich
I have the HP Tuner and I've gained about 23HP so far (fuel econ sucks), and the tranny shift so much better. I'd much rather have the capabilities of the HP Tuner.
beznich...did you tune your transmission so that it drops into first at a higher speed? I'd really like to know if HP tuners can do this....don't make me post a new thread yall.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Launching!

If you can think of it HPTuner can do it. I increased line pressure, changed upshift and downshift points, and shortened the shift "lag" between shifts at WOT. You can really feel the difference.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

IF we were to buy HP tuners, could you help us with custom tunes?
Old 06-23-2009, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

I called Super Chips yesterday about my lack of DOD support. They called me today & they created a file that would work on my car.

I now have my DOD turned off & love the drivability improvement.

I'm very impressed with Super Chips customer support.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Heslekrants
I called Super Chips yesterday about my lack of DOD support. They called me today & they created a file that would work on my car.

I now have my DOD turned off & love the drivability improvement.

I'm very impressed with Super Chips customer support.
What exactly does turning off DOD do for driveability improvement? Is it so you legitimately feel like you're wasting fuel in your big 'ol v8?

Sarcasm aside, what benefits make you so happy to remove dod other than potential cam upgrades that DOD inhibit? I just don't see any kind of a performance gain this could have on the car.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by beznich
If you can think of it HPTuner can do it. I increased line pressure, changed upshift and downshift points, and shortened the shift "lag" between shifts at WOT. You can really feel the difference.
Thanks beznich. I might have to go HP if I can't find what I'm looking for in superchips...screw these handhelds lol.

Quick Reply: Superchips for Ls4s